This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by MattK, Jun 8, 2015.

1. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

I could agree with Arcane, imo RRF was far better than BD, but for me, the top "modern Bodom" album is HOB, I usually listen to it nowadays, whereas the two before 2013.

2. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

I am starting to think that this album was Alexi's social experiment...to see if his fans are still those who listen to his music, or only chicks who are wet when they see him. Because how else can you explain this shift in sound after Halo Of Blood, which was at least recognizible as a Bodom album...Is it possible that he really lost inspiration? I mean, I am 90% sure he doesn't listen to metal anymore, since all he wants for last 4 years or so is to make "A good rock song". He puts swag clothes and hats all the time, spends more time in LA than in Finland, talks like he casted as a one off character in Californication, and btw he has a new girlfriend now who looks like a witch literally (lol Morrigan) :rofl: Someone pass the man some rum or the ship will drown pretty soon. COB is becoming a band for teenagers who masturbate on the idea of cutting themselves with plastic knives, with their image and looks as their main appeal. Somehow the music got lost along with the dissapearance of the pineapples from their tour riders...

3. PussyfootMS

PussyfootMS Member

Oh my God.. :rofl:

4. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Read the Metalhammer interview about IWC. All your answers are there, no reason to fantasize about what led to IWC being what it is.

5. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

:rofl:

I did I guess, but Janne and Alexi repeat the same sentences in almost every fucking interview that I don't trust anything they say about music anymore :rofl:

6. Miss Anne Thrope

Miss Anne Thrope New Metal Member

7. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

Your band? I kind of like it although it's not quite what I usually listen to. Reminds me of Omnium Gatherum.

8. Joe90

Joe90 New Metal Member

Massively great album. I wasn't sure about the yellow album cover until I saw it projected as a backdrop at a concert (in Melbourne, Australia with Megadeth). The fully projected image look awesome. It gave a real effect of desolation with the grim reaper standing their. I thought it looked really inspiring to the imagination. As for the songs and music, again awesome, very creative and in many places hard as fuck. Its the mind of music I prefer to listen to in the car before I attend management meetings, fills me with power!!

Great album guys.

Joe.

9. requiem

requiem I bleed sir, but not killed

I came here to praise the album too. I love the intense sound of it - I think the production is great and the riffs are catchy. It's certainly different from those early Bodom albums like 'Follow the Reaper' which are highly polished ear candy and are great albums - classics even. But 'I Worship Chaos' is very good in a slightly different sense, without being a million miles away from their roots.

I thought in general the band became bland, flat and needlessly angsty after the wonderful 'Hatecrew Deathroll' and I really wasn't impressed with what I heard with subsequent releases. The last Bodom album I actually bothered to buy since 'Hatecrew' was 'Relentless, Reckless, Forever' which I regret because it was really quite weak and made up of a lot of filler. For some reason it also felt rushed and distracted.

In contrast, the tunes on 'I Worship Chaos' seem full of a lot of bitterness and anger that come across really well (for once) and I just think it fits. The riffs have some depth and consideration to them, too, like a bit of earnest care has been applied for a change.

I haven't heard 'Halo of Blood' - maybe I should give it a spin. I really only bought 'I Worship Chaos' on a whim. Glad I did; it's a bit of angry fun and I'm really enjoying it.

Joe90 likes this.
  10. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Well, sounds like COB managed to convey to some just what they intended. Glad folks are liking it. And yes, get Halo of Blood, it's very good.

11. requiem

I've been listening to the new album a lot as I really like it, and it led me to go back and re-live some of the older ones too. I've just been reading parts of this thread (which is huge by the way!) and I can't believe how much disappointment/resentment there is directed at the new album. It might a little different here and there, as it's been over 10 years since 'Follow the Reaper' but it still feels very Children of Bodom to these ears.

I reckon some of you Bodom obsessives would feel a lot better by just accepting the album for what it is rather than trying to cram it into your Bodom imaginations.

Not trying to tell people how to feel, but jeez there's a lot of negative energy pushed towards something that's still in the ballpark if you ask me.

12. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

You only hear the new fans' praises anymore, all the fans of the older material gave up hope with RRF and aren't even bothered to complain because what we're witnessing is the same thing that happens to every band in their cycle. Art is something where it's relatively easy to perform 90%, but difficulty comes in producing the last 10% of vision that creates the epicness. I don't want to sound like a rude bitch especially as I don't even play any instrument anymore, but despite having its moments this album doesn't open the gateway to my soul like FTR and such albums do.

#2492 (__Joonas__), Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  13. requiem

I read you loud and clear - and I feel this way about quite a few bands too such as Katatonia (1996-2001) and My Dying Bride (1993-1999).

But I think you'll go mad killing yourself over that elusive 10% you mention, much of which is probably based on the time, place and people you were around when you first fell in love with 'Follow The Reaper', which really makes it untouchable regardless of what comes next.

You and I want to feel the way we did back in the day when we discovered these bands and these great moments in our lives, but those days - as beautiful as they were - are gone. Now we have to just enjoy the 90% we get.

14. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Omg I just realized they left the laughter thingy at the end of IWC on the album!! That's not good...

I listened to a speeded up version of Suicide Bomber and this album really needs to be speeded up at least 30% to sound like the thrashy parts of Hatebreeder and even then it's quite repetitive and the songs lack material and solos, especially unisons. Next album has to be FASTER and include UNISON solos to make up for this... those are two very clear distinctions everyone can make. Don't mean to be mean, just constructive criticism, because it's a shame if the true potential doesn't come through.

15. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Damn, the more I listen to this album, the more what I thought to be the weaker songs are growing on me. I'm playing Horns and Widdershins over and over again. They both have this "tension" which really makes me feel the song physically. Like it really takes you to the gut (not sure it's a correct english expression but we say so in French XD ). Didn't expect to feel this way since Horns and Widdershin weren't the best of this album at the beginning (really loved My Bodom and Suicide Bomber).
    And it's also nice to see I'm not even slightly bored of this album. I really feel it's the "fresh air" Bodom needed. And those solos, even without unisons, are fucking nice !

16. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Yeah, I don't listen all that much the to songs they released before album. Horns is a great song and Widdershins is just fantastic, but it could have used the chorus a third time.

17. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Well, what of the things I always found bad in general in the music industry it's that people dislike repetitions. But if it was up to me I would play a good riff for one minute non-stop, or even more haha. And what children of bodom did with that awesome riff in the middle of Horns is just epic, it takes half the song's lengt. God, what a pleasure.

18. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

Only song I've consciously gone and listened to during the last few months is All for Nothing. Some of the others have come and gone when listening to stuff on shuffle, but I haven't intentionally listened to any other song from the album in months.

19. Exedo

Exedo Member

I still only really listen to Horns and Suicide Bomber, I like these two very much (since release). Only one I rarely add is the title track actually, which I very much enjoy. Then again, my taste in Bodom is strange :D

20. CharIie

CharIie Moss

All for nothing is a bit weird for me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it, really depends on the day. Though I always LOVE that part at 2:13.. Like this is pure epicness... It has this "Banned from heaven" after-solo feel. I absolutly love it.

And the title track is pretty nice too actually, that scream at 2:19 really gives me goosebumps everytime and I can't help screaming it along when I'm driving XD