This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by MattK, Jun 8, 2015.

1. CharIie

CharIie Moss

The only song I actually dislike on this album is Prayer of the Afflicted. I really can't get it. And since so many people here seem to love it I really tried, but I guess it's personnal, it just doesn't talk to me.

2. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

After 4 months my opinion about that album changes a lot. The first week I was a littlebit impressed, but now I can definitely tell that there are only 4 good things which are worth listening.
    1. The chorus in My Bodom (and the bit before)
    2. That fucking awesome bridge or whatever it's called in Horns starting at 1:16! That part is probably the best segue from a lame riff into an awesome masterpice Bodom ever made.
    3. The chorus in HYT
    4. Widdershins

So all in all I can say, IWC is their weakest album. I also hate BD and even if BD is their worst mastered album, it has definitely the better riffs.

What gives me a littlebit headache over the last years is, that Alexis solos are going to be "weak".
    The first Bodom song I've ever heard was Warheart in 1999 and I really thought that song was shit until I heard the solo. Then I thought "WTF?!? What's the name of this band? Who's the guitarist??!" Everybody of you knows what follows.
    But in 2008 something went wrong. Blooddrunk was released and all solos were shit. Wtf?! What happend to Alexi?! Then RRF came out and I was like "Thank you!" It's one of my favorite albums, the NMF solo is great and the Ugly solo is probably the best solo Alexi ever made.
    2013 HOB arrived the sunlight. Awesome album. Probably my favorite. Solid solos, but nothing special. Doesn't matter, because nearly every song is really good or awesome. HOB could be their best album if there were some better solos...
    And now there is IWC.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ALEXI?!? WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE AN AWESOME SOLO AGAIN SINCE 5 FUCKING YEARS?!?!?

/OT

Today, I listened to some Norther songs again and tried to play them. Forget it. Tried to play "Break myself away"... forget it. Tried to play the "I hate I bear" Intro... forget it. Tried to play "trough it all".. forget it. Norther is like Sinergy (except the solos)

#2502 <Arcane>, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  3. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I so completely agree about that part at 1:16 in Horns and about Ugly which is one of my favorite song of Cob. I was so sure they'd play it for the RRF tour, but no... No ugly :'(

Appart from that I think I quite disagree with you. The solos are indeed awesome in Blooddrunk and RRF but I think they are the weakest albums overall.
    IWC just makes me feel like Children of Bodom grew up with me. The more mature I get, the more mature their music gets (well, that's in my opinion of course). But I see the BD/RFF a bit like a teenager crisis in the storyline of CoB's life XD And now they became adult. So sure, it lacks the energy and the freshness of the youth, but you have a more solid and mature music.

But once again, it's my opinion and it's probably shared by very few of you. But eh, fuck it XD

4. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

^If you like that section in Horns, don't you like Lamb of God??

This time it was probably just too much of a mission to make a complete Bodom album so Alexi figured he'd just make it slower, repeat parts and leave solos away... that's what it feels like to me anyway. Now I think the title track has actually a scary kataclysm feeling, then there's the nice parts in certain songs, but one nice part in a song just isn't enough when I'm used to hearing great complete songs from this band.

To me it would be more entertaining to have the same amount of musical information on the album but compress it into shorter time so it feels more rich... I really miss the feeling of musical extremity from this style of metal, and if you ain't gonna be fast as shit, you at least need damn good riffs to make up for it...

I'm just saying Alexi needs to take a little distance to see and remember what's great about Bodom, and what truly is Bodom. There needs to exist that hectic speed, epic melodies, dark riffs, an overall horror-vibe. Then there's FTR which doesn't have a horror vibe as much but rather an atmospheric eurodance-metal.

#2504 (__Joonas__), Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  5. RICJAMES

RICJAMES Member

The best solution would be take Alexi by force, throw him into a dark little room while in the back Dark Throne is playing and then punch and torture him and tell him what a little piece of shit he is. Result would be we would have the Alexi from 1997-2001 again.

He just got over that he was a bullied when he was a child.

Sounds rude and cruel, but that's stuff he was made off in that particular time.

6. requiem

requiem I bleed sir, but not killed

I tend to agree with you here. As fun as those early albums are, there is definitely something a bit naive and even unintentionally cartoonish about them that is now gone. I think 'I Worship Chaos' is a grown up album of frustration and anger that really speaks to me in some of my more stressed (adult) moments! For instance, now I consider CoB to be quite a serious, intense band, whereas in the past I found them a bit more... I don't know... imaginary?!

7. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

IMO the riff in Horns at 1:16 is by far the worst part in the song :D I like the verse and chorus riffs though.

What was wrong with the Norther songs?

8. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Well Jonnas. I don't like some Lamb of God, though I really hate the image of the band, for me they are a joke on the metal scene. But you can't take away the fack that there are so really strong and angry riffs in their music.

I'm actually really really fine with the riff repeating thing as long as it's epic riff. I'm so happy that riff in Horns lasts almost half the song XD That really made me jump of joy (or rather anger) while listening to it

9. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Nothing's wrong with Norther. The songs are just to hard to play. When I tried the intro of The hate I bear, I got so angry, really had to lay down and count to ten.
    But well, if I remember right, I had the same problems with Downfall and Chokehold when I played them the first time.

10. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

Damn. That was the impression I got from your post, but I didn't believe it to be possible :D I'll have to see the tabs for those then.

11. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Uhm, there aren't any tabs for those songs I think... I think I definitely have to tab Break Myself away and The hate i Bier

12. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

Didn't find any, so you're probably right. Also, The Hate I Bier :D

13. BodomBlueBalls

I still listen to the entire album for the most part. The lyrics are more poetic than any other Bodom album to me. And I feel like the lack of "riff variety" is might be due to the fact that Alexi recorded the whole album himself guitar wise and probably didn't do as much in the studio fucking around as he did with Roope.

14. (__Joonas__)

I'm listening to the Nightcore speeded up versions of this album and I don't understand why Bodom didn't just speed up the album, it sounds simply better when played faster and the speed forgives some of the lazy songwriting. Especially when there's no atmosphere and they don't have a sound that's very heavy when played slow. At least the boring parts should definitely have been speeded up...

15. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I know it's not the Halo of Blood thread, but since we talk about everything here I'll simply post my shit here as well.

This was one of the track I disliked on HoB and now it's probably my favorite one. One bottle and a knee deep.. God. This song is just blowing my mind away the more I listen to it. I really think it has this strong, dark and melancolic atmosphere that can take your mind off of the everyday.

16. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

It's perhaps my favorite on the album too. I really like the verses and riffs. The chorus is kinda generic melodic wankery and not that interesting, but the main riff kicks ass.

17. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I think everything in this song is awesome. Except maybe the solo, would have expected more something like Ugly or Everytime I die since the refrain is really really melodic.

18. (__Joonas__)

We've come to a time when Alexi should combine two of his songs best materials into one song, because it's become too slow and too airy in musical material. And make the songs flow naturally... Each song now needs a super fast section with some memorable nice melody thingy. I can't hold breath for it, but I'm trying to give ideas because not many bands have the potential to do the perfect death metal.

19. Hypermusic4

Hypermusic4 New Metal Member

Love this album, was it all written by Alexi this time? (the guitar parts) I know he said he recorded it all.

20. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Just what the hell is this? :O