This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by MattK, Jun 8, 2015.

1. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

Both Horns and All For Nothing look like a fucking nightmare, and to be honest, compared to his old Guitar World videos, that's even tight.

Looking at it got me thinking about the time he did the cover with Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde, when he had his arm broken. It kinda seems he's never gotten fully back to his previous level after the injury. He still kills it in the studio, but the sharpness on videos he exhibited before is sort of gone.

2. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Which arm did he break?

3. RICJAMES

RICJAMES Member

Right one, the picking hand. Several fractured wrist bones.

4. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

I figured it would be the left arm. His right arm plays well, looks 100%. But these songs aren't easy to play on top of that while singing.

5. RICJAMES

RICJAMES Member

I'm pretty damn sure that this is his RIGHT ARM!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

The image could be mirrored though.

Well it feels like the flow of songs from the new album feels more natural.

7. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Uhm...no. Just take a look at his tattoos ;)

Just watched that video again. I think his playing isn't sloppy at all in that one (his playing in the last YG Magazine Video was way worse) and the tone is ok (aso much better than the tone in that "how to play different HOB song parts" video).
    His song writing is so different compared to the older times.. Of course, most of you would say his writing is worse than 10 years ago.. I would agree with it, speaking of leads and melodies, but I definitely like his weird riffing stuff more (except IWC of course which sucks). The horns thing, all for nothing riff and even the riffs in Morrigan are awesome. Especially all for nothing. I'm a big fan of that string skipping stuff and I like his rythm changes during one riff

8. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

I wasn't arguing that he broke his other arm. I didn't know actually which one it was. If the accidents had anything to do with sloppiness I would have guessed it was the left one based on the video where his right arm movements are on target.

I see some resemblance in the structure of these songs with HOB songs for instance and some earlier ones as well. He does this often where repeats a pattern but changes one or two subtle notes are adds some more, which I find exacerbating when I try to play his stuff.

9. BodomBlueBalls

Those riffs are pretty cool IMO, Morrigan and All for Nothing were my favorite in terms of how cool they looked to play. Anyone else feel like those triplets he was talking about in Horns kinda fuck everything up?

10. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Bone fractures can easily take that magical top form away. But, they do not hinder the ability to write creative music.

11. tonsa92

tonsa92 Member

no, i think it adds some kind of variability into it

12. baldymort

baldymort Member

really keen to hear the solos in all for nothing. new reviews ive been reading make it out to be the best with widdershins close behind. dont really care about hearing the others from what ive heard in the snippets but if they end up being decent, all the better.

13. Joke4joker

Joke4joker New Metal Member

My Bodom seemed pretty awesome, don't know for the others but I am really looking forward for that one!

14. Deadman5hadow

Deadman5hadow Member

It got potential to be one of the best track on the record. That whammy thing after verse sounds like You're Better Off Dead Intro.

15. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

From a guitar playing perspective sure, but I think he can still figure out how to combine both better. Suicide Bomber is a good example, IWC/I Hurt... not so much. I am nonetheless looking forward to the rest of the album, even more so after the video.

Not really, that comes from his head. He's got to be able to play what he comes up with in his mind though, and that's where I ask myself if the injury might have had an effect on it.

16. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Old fractures barely have anything to do with Laihos playing skills. That's bullshit. He's still as fast as he was when he was younger, he still plays live gigs and the fact that his songs are nowadays much more complicated and harder to play, speak against it.
    If he had any problems because of his fractures, he would be able to play the songs he composed since RRF. And the reason his playing isn't as clean as it was is simple: Other equipment, less practise and his "everybody knows I can play and I'm famous, so why should I prove it again?" attitude.

17. (__Joonas__)

Yeah. Obviously it depends how crucial the damage is to joints and ligaments, you might get pain in fingers and you might lose some of their fine motoric movement. We discussed this when AYDY came out more simplistic after the damage. But it was the picking hand, right? So that's no excuse. If the left wrist was broken, that might have a say in how much he could play stuff with the fingers spread to a spider position. Alexi played relatively simple on Hatebreeder, so playing technically über complex isn't required to write epic Bodom songs. It's easy to damage fingers when screwing around drunk, then you have an annoying stinging sensation reminding you of that one stupid moment for the rest of your life when you bend those deformed joints. Playing guitar operates fingers in their natural motion, so it's likely they're honed painless in time.

18. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

For me the right hand is much bigger a problem than the left when playing fast. My left could handle speeds around 10-20 BPM higher than I can truly play as my right hand starts lagging behind.

19. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

Right hand > left hand, most all decent guitarists will agree on that.

20. (__Joonas__)

Motion of the picking hand wrist comes in rapid string skipping (jumping more than one string) vertically, while the left wrist motion is horizontal and happens when jumping octaves on notes and playing weird patterns...