This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Iced Earth

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by TotenMitMacht, Jun 9, 2004.

1. theodyssey

theodyssey Best Album of the Year

BW&BK is a canadian metal mag. they did an interview with Jon in which the person pretty much challenged Jon's political views, but the issue was that the dude was a fucking shitty journalist. He transcribed Jon's responses, but he wrote in prose for his "questions" which he very obviously spiced up to make himself look much better. There is a scanned copy of the interview somewhere. The issue wasn't about politics, it was about shitty journalism, and jon now says that he refuses to do interviews with them ever again. I support that decision to the end, because it was fucked up. Lemme dig up the links and i'll post them here.

2. theodyssey

actually, i can't find it now. they must have removed the thread. oh well. just look online, i'm sure it's there somewhere.

3. Yngvai X

Yngvai X Dark Emperor

Don't listen to Zach, he doesn't know what he's talking about :D. Ripper was awsome live, and he killed on Dracula.

4. Demonspell

Demonspell cheating the polygraph

The transcript of the interview, which was intended to be about politics, was posted on BWBK...Jon threatened to walk off because the interviewer used the words regime and empire in referring to US foreign policy.

5. theodyssey

I don't agree with schaffer's politics, but i personally do think the interviewer was being a dick. He shouldn't have brought up politics in the first place.

Matt, the problem with you is that you never were an iced earth fan with barlow, so you cannot comprehend how much ripper sounds like a whiny little bitch.

6. Hyoukinmono

Hyoukinmono Real Man

I was/am a Barlow-era fan, and I'm fine with Ripper's vocals as well, even though I hated his two studio releases with Judas Priest. (Not because of his vocals, but because it wasn't Judas Priest, but was some boring, amateur, trendy garage band doing dead and empty songs for the most part.)

And I'm proud to say that I support Jon's pro-America stance. There are too many froofroo collectivists out there bashing their own country (whether the US or not), so it's refreshing to see someone in the music biz actually being patriotic.

But hey, one definition of a liberal (a misnomer if there ever was one!) is "someone who loves every country except their own," so why should I be surprised when Jon gets bashed for actually liking his country, and for supporting the whole idea of liberty and all that?

All of you from non-US countries, let's hear the good stuff about your countries too!!! I've spent a significant amount of time in a number of countries outside the US, and they don't ALL suck! :) Loving your own country and expressing those feelings isn't the equivalent of bashing or hating other countries, no matter what the self-haters say.

So let's hear something positive! Why do you guys and gals like your own countries?

7. theodyssey

I hope that I didn't give you the wrong impression there. I love the US and I AM proud of our country. I am not proud of our president, and i don't support him or his decisions, but i support our troops and want them to get the hell out of iraq. This isn't a political thread, however, so i don't want to turn it into one. I just want to make it clear that i am not anti-america or any of that shit. I just don't like Jon constantly talking politics because the reason why i myself (as well as many others) like metal is to get away from that shit.

8. OfSinsAndShred

On the topic of his pro-American spiels... I hate it when bands do this. If you're a political band, fine, be political. But if not, just play fucking music. I'm sick of going to metal concerts and hearing about "Supporting the troops"... it's just a lame way to get some cheers from Rednecks and all those fake, post-9/11 patriots. And probably one or two real-deal "proud to be American" people.

Sorry, ever since everyone and their brother thought it was cool to be patriotic just out of the fucking blue, it's been a sore subject with me.

9. -Rivfader-

-Rivfader- Klingons on Uranus

I could give a rats ass about a band's political position, hell if they want to burn an american flag on stage and yell america sucks, as long as the music is played well I don't care I will listen to them.

New Iced Earth:
    I also think Tim Owens is amazing. After seeing him live his credibility went way up. So far GB is my fav album of this year.

Canadian Liberals like the interviewer and Patriotic Americans like Schaffer will never see eye to eye. The interview was bullshit and it should have stayed on topic of music not politics.

I admire Jon Schaffer as a songwriter and a guitarist not his political views.

10. MorphineChild205

MorphineChild205 Lt. Horatio Caine

I agree 100%.

11. urinalcakemix

urinalcakemix man who plays drum

Uhh. Vote for John Kerry?

12. SevenString

SevenString RJ-D0, Metal 'Droid

these are just my opinions, folks

i gotta say, after seeing Ripper live with Priest, i was expecting SOOO much more from the new Iced Earth CD. I had liked IE's music, thought it was agressive, intricate, and interesting, but was never much of a fan of the vocals. I was hoping Ripper would cure that particular complaint of mine.

Unfortunately, I was VERY disappointed in "The Glorious Burden", and felt that it was just sort of everage, old-skool metal, and wasn't worth more than a single listen. I don't think Ripper showed his full potential AT ALL on this one, especially considering how well he did with the old Priest material. Not to mention that the music itself seemed to take several steps backward from previous IE releases.

WTF?!!! Now I'm out 20 bucks!

13. -Rivfader-

-Rivfader- Klingons on Uranus

You have to at least admit that The Gettysburg epic was pretty cool.

14. karelrulez

karelrulez Member

my country rules, we can smoke mad pot here as much as we want to without confronting the law :headbang:

the place is PACKED though, they're letting in too many foreigners.

15. theodyssey

I thought this was the Iced Earth thread, not the country appreciation thread :err:

16. karelrulez

karelrulez Member

really?

17. theodyssey

yeah. sorry. my mistake :rolleyes:

18. Wicked Inferno

Wicked Inferno Child of the Wicked

i like both GB and tim owens. He was a great choice to replace barlow and did an excellent job on GB. I think that their new cd is still on par with all their past music (something wicked, horror show, burnt offerings etc) and I also like the idea of changing it up and doing something completely different. Also, i agree Gettysburg is completely amazing.

I cant say who I like more, Barlow or owens. Maybe If i heard barlows takes on GB also I could make a desicion.

19. urinalcakemix

urinalcakemix man who plays drum

Getteysburg didnt do anything for me. It was long. Thats about all the positive things I can say about it. And The Cannon shots were ok.

Ripper should die.

20. anonymousnick2001

anonymousnick2001 World's Greatest Vocalist

Matt Barlow and his shit oafbitch voice can lick my hairy, unwashed, Asian ballsack.