This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Iconoclast: News/Info Thread

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by proulxski, Feb 25, 2011.

1. manticore999

manticore999 Member

Me too. After the comedy album of PL (you know, so bad it was actually funny) I was hoping this album would be a return to prog goodness. Now I'm thinking it's gonna be another me too blah metal album. Not too hopeful now ...

2. cimore000

cimore000 New Metal Member

OMG the new songs KICK ASSS! I only discovered this thread today. Can't wait for this crazy ass album, i can already taste the awesomeness!

3. Dark Lucidity

PL was good. Just not to your tastes.

4. fire_angel

fire_angel Timboooooo

Paradise Lost was incredible, and easily their most consistent release. You people are crazy.

5. Rocksister

Rocksister Member

I'm with fire angel. PL was my fave. I never get tired of listening to it. Here's hoping they continue in the same direction:headbang: on this new release.

:headbang:

6. maximumrocker

maximumrocker New Metal Member

7. PurpleDink

PurpleDink Member

uhmmm....What a shame?

8. Sep3

Sep3 Member

I'm really not with you on this one. It's a good album and I liked it a lot, but nothing compared to masterpieces like The Odyssey or Divine Wings.

9. DoomsdayZach

DoomsdayZach The Professor was right

Hate the cover. Too modern and photoshoppy. I was hoping that they'd come up with something a little less derivative. Oh well, hopefully the album is good.

10. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

I'm with both of you. While Paradise Lost isn't my favorite Symphony X CD, it's still an excellent CD.
    Most bands wish they could release something half as good.

11. mad_taffer

mad_taffer Member

I was just listening to Revelation again last night and amazed by how much it is an amalgam of all of Symphony X's style in one song.
    But most importantly, the song is very tight and doesn't "lose" me like some of their older tracks.
    I can seriously be listening to "Through the Looking Glass" and at some point it just loses me, my mind will wander off.
    The same thing happens with The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but not with the Odyssey.
    I think making songs like that are tricky, as it has to consistently engage the listener.

12. gct-KAZ

gct-KAZ New Metal Member

I really like Prometheus, and I should now say with some certainty it will be the special edition for myself, whatever the price will be.

IMO music CDs give very good value for the amount of time I spend listening to each one - tens, possibly hundreds of hours. Compare to a movie, which I might watch 3 or 4 times only if I really really really like it.

The regular edition artwork is pretty cool, I hope I can get that on a T but I'd settle for the special edition artwork.

13. SymphonyXV

SymphonyXV Member

I don't think PL was nearly as bad as some of the other crap in 2007 like Systematic Chaos and In Sorte Diaboli. It probably was the best album of the year, besides Colors. I don't flame about it as much as I used to, knowing it at least didn't have lyrics like "dark master of sin, i will fight for you!".

I hate the new album cover. Like someone else said, it looks very photoshopped. I prefer the special edition cover WAY more. I still can't wait to get my hands on a t shirt of that two head into one thing.

I am very pleased to hear this is a double album. Screw the record label dumbing it all down for the masses. I am going to buy the special edition aka the "real" version. I hope for the tour, they play the entire double album live. I wish there was a 20 minute plus song, but a 90 minute double disc concept album is good enough for me. But seriously, that standard edition album cover just makes me sick. I know 12 year olds who can do better than that on their Nintendo DS's.

I am also very excited for the new DVD and fall tour, I really hope they come to Albany! I'd imagine since they are playing all the major cities this summer, the fall tour will be for smaller, east coast towns. I'm not too sure about the live orchestra business, they have to do it right like DT did. Everytime I hear a band is playing with an orchestra, I cringe and think of that time Metallica did it. (throws up everywhere). Then again, they ARE called "Symphony X", you'd think it was just a matter of time before they actually played with a symphonic orchestra. Fingers crossed for more songs from V.

14. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

They played Evolution tonight. My favorite moments of the show, and I have a sore throat from screaming along to the lyrics.

15. SymphonyXV

SymphonyXV Member

Wow, I am impressed. I'm amazed they were able to squeeze a 4 and a half minute verse/chorus tune into their oh so tight set. I feel blessed :saint: .

I think they think 80 percent of their audience consists of low IQ "metul headz" who wear hot topic attire. "Like dude, this is too complicated, man. I'm used to the solo coming BEFORE the bridge, man. I don't know if I can handle this. I start getting bored at the 3 minute mark." The same goes for the new album. "2 CD's, man? I can't even listen to one, I just listen to the singles. When the song gets past 3 minutes, I start freaking out, man!".

16. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

yeah or "pfft 2 CDs will only take more space in my CD rack" :lol:

Couldn't help it. :heh:

17. Weston

Weston Member

I'm with you all the way.

18. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

You are a GOD!!!

:worship:

19. Frankgate

Frankgate Member

well.... don't know.... same stuff.... same old stuff (almost).... nothing new... nothing exciting..... anyway we have to wait for the album to be released.

20. PurpleDink

PurpleDink Member

:err:This is absurd. Real people do not think like this, and if they wanted something less complex they wouldnt listen to metal. They would listen to Disturbed or Slipknot or something. Are we diverting back to the controversy of head banging vs Crossing arms that was previously stated in this thread?