This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by PlainVanilla, Feb 1, 2016.

1. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

2. eochaid

eochaid Judge Dredd of In Flames

Songs like battles could've been really interesting. The chorus is catchy and I might like it, but the song lacks development. My overall sensation is, again, the lack of effort. They need to sit, talk about what they want and work in the songs for a while, as many other bands do.

AtotheK, DE4life and only4theweak187 like this.
  3. A88

A88 Bottled - really not the worst IF song ever.

01. Drained (4/10)

Starts really cool. Nice electronics and slightly distorted guitar. Very atmospheric. Solid riff kicks in. For a moment I'm hopeful.

Then we go emo metalcore screams. Then we go to whiny prechorus. Then we go to idiotic chorus. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Boring generic riff stolen from some of previous albums, maybe SOAPF?

Oh, my. A good, albeit short solo. He had it for a moment, then went wah end it.

Chorus again. Cringeworthy. You ripped the heart out, you ripped the heart out. Dance ya maddafukkas! Jump, jump, jump!

Then we go back to the intro riff, which sudenly feels very out of place in this song, and end the song with the same riff that now, with a different drumming, sounds like leftover from ASOP.

I liked the intro, I liked the solo. Everything else was shit.

02. The End (7/10)

We know all about this one already. Standard issue modern IF song. Fast enough, decent enough, catchy enough.

03. Like Sand (5/10)

All For Me, The hard rock version, with some SC vibe. Lyrics, again idiotic. But at least the singing and vocal melodies are better than on SC.

Song has some melody, and some... let's call it dynamic.

Also, this one sounds fresh from time to time. I've actually never heard IF do something like this chorus.

We also get one IF-ish riff-melody instead of solo. But, in this song, it seems very out of place. It's like Bjorn writes his solos and "solos" separately and then randomly distributes them among the songs.

Not insultingly bad. But still, nothing for me here.

04. The Truth (4/10)

IF on the dance floor. When I hear some of the other songs, this one is actually not that bad. At least it flows alright.

05. In My Room (4/10)

Yaaay, an electro intro with random slooooow guitar melody.

Something new - bass guitar! This I like.

Weird Anders singing, is this even IF? ASOP guitar sound makes big comeback.

And oh, decent solo. WTF!? It flows good with the rhythm, and chord progression in the background is cool and uplifting. Sadly, the rest of the song is lackluster, chorus included. Also, why is wah over everything!?

06. Before I Fall (6/10)

US modern rock-metal band intro. Some STYE-like stuff before the chorus.

Singing on this one is not bad. But when he screams it sounds out of place.

Solo started good, but ended just when something was about to happen.

Solid song I won't mind hearing.

07. Through My Eyes (5/10)

Another old friend. One good intro riff. Some screaming. Decent chorus. All in all, B-side from ASOP/SC.

08. Battles (4/10)

Oh yeah, bad Bullet for my valentine song on IF album. He even sings like that little fucker.

Lyrics induce diarrhea.

Some decent melodic riff work instead of solo.

Song ended, I already forgot it.

09. Here Until Forever (4/10)

Wow, some melodic metal melodies and riffs!? Nice.

Totally random of course, as song goes into Anders singing only without instruments.

Ultimate gay emo US teen chorus. If one child got the epicness that is Come Clarity, why did the other get... THIS?

This song tries so hard to be grand and emotional, but just feels so fake.

10. Underneath my Skin (4/10)

The only metal riff still know to Bjorn and Niclas strikes again. Random Anders yelling. Random Anders chorusing. All that, once again.

After intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus... goes the solo, naturally. And the solo tries to do something, but really goes nowhere. Better than the standard wahing to death.

And again, naturally, after solo, we get another round of chorus and intro riff for the end.

11. Wallflower (8/10)

Great intro. Bordering good music. That's what you get when you leave your intros longer than usual 9 seconds.

Intro devolves into chugging riffing that takes too long to get anywhere.

But where does it ultimately gets? Well, right to Anders singing over electro stuff.

Well, I do like this song. Has some interesting stuff going on. Both on guitar and with all the electronic thingy. I think it deserved better chorus, and some nice solo section.

Beats TCP any day.

12. Save Me (4/10)

Dat intro gives me... Ugh.

Kind of nice melody, followed by more emo metalcore kid screaming and 20+ times of "Save me, save me" and that awful high pitched chorus ending.

Disgusting song, especially after Wallflower. But obvious radio material.

Good position on album as a closer after W.

13. Greatest Greed (4/10)

Fuck I hate this type of #MakeAmericaGreatAgain riffs. Shitty emo chorus. How old are this guys, 16?

Standard issue Bjorn wah solo No. 736.

14. Us Against the World (4/10)

Totally get it why this one didn't make it to album. That happy quasi-melodeath riff is comical. As is that Frankenstein of a song that follows. Has some life in it, I must admit.

-------------------------

So, my ultimate verdict is somewhere around 4-5/10. After the whole album, as I've already got my dose of The End, I only want to listen one or two solos and Wallflower, everything else goes from bad to forgettable.

Anders singing is OK. Sometimes ultra annoying, sometimes almost good and fitting. Yeah, he can't pull this live, but I don't care.

More metal and IF like songs on this album feel wrong. This is american modern radio hard rock album. Don't know what's the genre official name. So, hiring Joe makes complete sense. He comes from the genre.

No riffs worth remembering. Maybe one or two mediocre melodies worth mentioning. One or two good solos (more than I expected). Some nice electronica. That guy should be official member, they need him more than they need Engelin.

Production is something OK, something really bad and uneven. Drums are generic and plastic. Sometimes you don't notice them and that is good. Sometimes they actually make song worse than they already are.

Bonus tracks are worse than album tracks.

Album is better than Siren Charms. Could actually get them some new fans. But, there is always but, this is just not In Flames. So, we can say, IF found their sound somewhere between Sub and TJR. Gone up, gone down, until SOAPF. Then we have SC as a failed experiment, and Battles as a totally new genre-band-direction-fans with the same name.

Highlights: Wallflower, In My Room solo, first few seconds of Drained solo until Bjorn fucks it up.

#2743 A88, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    eochaid likes this.
  4. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

You can drain me any time, just leave your Lunar Strain cassette at home.

Laverna likes this.
  5. Jester313

Jester313 Clad in shadows

I don't have a problem with simpler subject matter or pure emotions driving songs, but when they for the most part just sound whiny like most of ASOP it's very disappointing. There are plenty of songs on Clayman that have simple meanings or are about being really sad, but they are masked in a much more poetic and beautiful way. That's why I like STYE because I feel the lyrics are unusual and interesting for describing something simple. I haven't listened to Battles yet so I don't know what he's singing about, but I don't mind what it seems like he's singing about, it's just that he doesn't seem to write poetry anymore.

DE4life likes this.
  6. Defter

Defter New Metal Member

Fear (Is The Weakness) In My Room :tickled:
    listen start melody and Fear Is The Weakness from 40 second

Also first riff of Here Until Forever reminds me Gyroscope
    And Like Sand in some acoustic and riffing parts like Satellites and Astronauts :rofl:

#2746 Defter, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  7. Jaymzkrueger

Jaymzkrueger New Metal Member

After 4 or 5 play throughs, I'm enjoying Battles WAY more than Siren Charms. I listened to SC for about a month when it came out and haven't listened to much of it since. Battles feels like it's going to have a new place in my regular rotation along with Clayman, Soundtrack, Reroute, and Come Clarity.

8. AtotheK

AtotheK Member

I'm playing the whole thing for the third time now, and I guess it's gonna grow on me slowly, but still - it's never gonna be a great or even good album for me. Just passable. This hard/alt rock IF thing just doesn't work. And add to that the shitty production and the horrible sounding drums... ohh the fucking drums!! they ruin almost every song for me. I just hope they don't rush things next time. Even if it takes them 5 years to come with a new album.
    btw, do a little experiment - listen to the whole thing and then play an older record (but don't even go too far, let's say play CC) and compare the two records. You'll see/hear that it's not even close anymore. And I guess it started with SC. And as a big IF fan for years I have to admit that I'm really dissapointed. I never thought this day would come. INFLAMESITRUSTNOMORE. :(

eochaid and DE4life like this.
  9. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Yeah, Battles works okay as an album in isolation but compared to any of the band's back catalog (SC excluded) it kinda sucks. I mean, it's basically Anders & Bjorn feat. Peter Iwers, Niclas Engelin & Christian Joe. I feel weird when I listen to these songs and see them titled as In Flames.

Let's be honest - even if Engelin, Iwers and CJ didn't come to the studio, this album would sound exactly the same. Anders and Bjorn could have done this exactly the same by themselves. At least you could hear some of Jesper and Daniel's input up until each of them quit the band, but what is the point of Engelin? Does he write anything, or is he just there to play the extremely easy rhythm guitar sections Bjorn wrote? Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet gig if you can get it, but we know Engelin can play so it's kind of sad that he seems to have hardly any input into the musical side of things (and if he does, then it's indistinguishable from what Bjorn is doing).

I would have given Wallflower a higher mark, but to listen to it regularly I'd have to manually cut at least two minutes from the intro. If I've gotta do that to put it on my playlist, I can't give it a very high rating.

eochaid likes this.
  10. only4theweak187

Trivium tried to make a radio-metal album with NO screams and it didn't work out very well for a lot of fans, but it did get mainstream rock radio play, good for them success wise.

IF could have In My Room, Like Sand or Before I Fall on the radio... If that happens, good for them... As that seems the only reason why you would devolve into this type of hard rockish music... To try to have more reach of success.

Like I've said, as long as they play some of their quality songs still live, I'll tolerate it.

11. only4theweak187

If you pretend Siren Charms never happened... And Battles came out directly after Sounds of a Playground...

What would the conversations be like here I wonder

12. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Just listened to this! Quick impressions for now.

- The first six songs, I thought, were great, with the caveat that they don't sound like In Flames at all. They're essentially Passenger songs, which I am 100% okay with. "Drained", "Like Sand", "In My Room" and "Before I Fall" are, to me, some of the strongest songs on this record and became fast favorites for me. "Drained" I like from start to finish, while I love the descending lead in "Before I Fall" (which reminds me of some of the music in Sub-Terrania, an old Sega game I played in college). I like how often the songs oscillate between calm/clean-guitar-driven, especially in "Like Sand", and distorted, heavier segments. Good dynamics here.

- The rest of the album, with one exception, is some the most mediocre material In Flames has ever put out. I would even say that "Here Until Forever", "Save Me" and maybe "Underneath My Skin" rank as some of the weakest In Flames songs to date, not only because they bear no resemblance to In Flames (which isn't bad to me in and of itself), they're forgettable and actually sound like filler. This is the first and only In Flames album that I could actually cut in two and not mourn the loss of the second half. After Siren Charms, which I often listen to from start to finish, this is majorly disappointing.

- "Wallflower" is, in a way, the direction I had wanted In Flames to go after Siren Charms. I had spoken of this earlier. A long, pensive track that alternates between slow/steady and heavy moments, while focusing mostly on atmosphere. It reminds me vaguely of "Circles" and "Drowning City" by Passenger, with a bit of a Through Oblivion slant. Despite Anders' awkward phrasing, I think it's one of the better ones on Battles, and better than "The Chosen Pessimist".

So yeah! I haven't read any opinions here because I would hate my first listen of an IF album to be flavored by impressions other than my own (no offense! I want to digest this on my own for a while). I'm expecting people to like this more than Siren Charms, but not much more than that. As of right now, I think I would consider it a fine successor to SC if the whole album was as consistent as the first six songs + Wallflower. As it stands, I could do without half of this. Because of that, I have to consider it one of their weaker efforts.

EDIT: "Battles" has grown on me something fierce.

#2752 ThePhobiac, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

From me it would have been a more negative reaction, due to a sharp decline in the quality of the production and overall songs. I'm actually more positive about this because it's a little better than SC.

14. eochaid

SC and the lack of criticism are good vaccines.

15. eochaid

Capture_2.jpg

After reading this I'm horrified. Some people might understand why.

16. AtotheK

AtotheK Member

I agree. It's crazy that they have such talented guys like Peter and Niclas but don't use them. I mean, what's the point of being in a band if you don't write the songs together? It really is Anders & Bjorn against the world feat. Niclas, Peter and a drum machine. I think if they try to write a record as a band, with Niclas writing and recording his ideas mixed with Bjorn's we will get a great and heavy album. Too bad it probably will never happen.

17. eochaid

No. Niclas is also a fan of pop music. This is why he is happy in IF now.

18. eochaid

Something little known made by Jesper.

#2758 eochaid, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  19. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I expected Battles would be up on YouTube by now, but, nope...

20. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle