This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by PlainVanilla, Feb 1, 2016.

1. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

The existence of that album is a paradox that should have made implode our space and time.

2. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

STYE was basically a second Passenger album. There isn't too much difference between them.

I wish Passenger had released STYE, ASOP and Siren Charms. That way In Flames discography from 2002 would just read Reroute to Remain, Come Clarity, Sounds of a Playground Fading and Battles. Pretty solid. Anders could go tour with Passenger when he wanted to do all this alt rock/metal shit. In Flames meanwhile would have much better setlists when they toured. Everyone wins.

Jabi likes this.
  3. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

I keep my words. The existence of the passenger album is a paradox, an anomaly that breaks the rules of this universe that Anders has created.

4. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Creating dreams from a broken past?

5. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

:rofl:

Yes. One of the rules of this universe is that Anders can do whatever he wants, musically speaking, and stick it into the band.

Now, since there's a Passenger album it may imply two different conclusions:

1. He could not release those songs with if. Impossible since they use the band to do the music that they want to.
    2. He did not wanted to release those songs.

And this is when the world explodes.

6. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Considering how ridiculous N'Flaymz touring schedule was around this time it's amazing Anders even had time to record an album for a side project.

Band Line Up:

Anders Friden - In Flames
    Niclas Engelin - Gardenian
    Patrik J. Sten - Transport League
    Håkan Skoger - Headplate

In Reverse Video

Passenger actually did tour very briefly around New Year 2003 going into 2004, opening for Moonspell, Lacuna Coil and Poisonblack. Not sure why they were with these bands as they aren't gothic metal, but whatever. They never toured again and went on indefinite hiatus, but plans to secretly reform Passenger began in 2011 when Niclas Engelin infiltrated In Flames and Anders' master plan of reuniting the core of Passenger under the In Flames banner finally took shape. Anders failed to get Sten or Skoger to reconsider this reunion, so instead he replaced Daniel with Christian Joe and Peter with some dude called Bryce Paul.

Passenger are finally scheduled to release their long awaited follow up to their self-titled debut album some time in 2019, under the band name "In Flames" to capitalise on the brand's popularity.

7. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Oh, and guess who replaced Peter on the In Flames European shows? Håkan Skoger.

8. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

What if passenger was just a collective dream that we all had, something that never happened?

Or maybe, one day history will tell us that Anders expelled the other members of if, made an album called passenger, forgot to put the if logo on it, and then reunited the band since the album was a failure?

9. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I think Passenger was more like a virus which slowly infected In Flames until everything that wouldn't assimilate to the nu/alt-metal culture was gone. Engelin started Passenger in 1995 (calling it "Cliff") then did sessions with In Flames during Whoracle in 1997 and that's when the Passenger virus first infected Anders. 6 years later the carriers of the Passenger virus release an album, and the members of In Flames also become infected and release Passenger Part 2, otherwise known as STYE.

Passenger virus then goes dormant for a while and Jesper manages to escape it by blasting his DNA with alcohol. Peter and Daniel also defeat it through unknown means and leave the band when they realise Anders and Bjorn are too infected to save, especially with the original carrier Engelin now in the band. They tried their best but it was a hopeless cause and they couldn't risk becoming infected again.

2019 is when the Passenger Apocalypse occurs. Assuming Trump hasn't already nuked everything by then.

eochaid likes this.
  10. krofius

krofius Active Member

Nah I don't like Passenger at all. Think I skimmed through it many years back and don't remember loving any songs. In Reverse is decent. It's nothing close to In Flames soundwise, I don't get the STYE comparison at all, apart from it being the same vocalist. Instrumentally, not close at all.

11. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Agreed, I don't see any connections between both albums. Even Anders vocal melodies are quite different.

12. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Other than both albums being alt metal, having chugging guitars, no solos, singalong choruses and lyrics about how life is hard for Anders, I agree, no similarities.

13. Jester313

Jester313 Clad in shadows

So by that logic, St. Anger would also be mostly similar?

14. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Thankfully I've never listened to that garbage. But hell, even the reviews of Passenger say it sounds like 'modern In Flames', so I know I'm not the only one who hears it.

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/album/1584

^ sounds like a fairly similar description of the STYE guitars, no?

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/8712/Passenger-SWE-Passenger/

^ again, that description could sum up STYE pretty well too.

^ A combination of complaints leveled at both R2R and STYE as well.

Now granted, STYE is a little harder than Passenger overall, but to say there is absolutely no parallels between the two albums is total nonsense. Passenger is almost a bridge between R2R and STYE, incorporating elements of both and limiting the screaming in favour of cleans, something Anders wouldn't do fully until ASOP.

You could easily put I Die Slowly, Just the Same or In Reverse on Reroute. Similarly Circles, Used and In My Head could fit on STYE in place of stuff like Evil in a Closet, Discover Me Like Emptiness, Bottled or Like You Better Dead and not feel hugely out of place.

15. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Oh, and for the record, I prefer the Passenger album to STYE. I Die Slowly, In Reverse, Just the Same and Circles are better than pretty much anything off Soundtrack for me, except possibly The Quiet Place.

Some of the reviews on Amazon are not kind though :D looks like some people bought the Passenger album thinking it was by the UK band Passenger. Oops.

^ this idiot still hasn't worked out it's not the same Passenger :D

Anders, you master troll. Dem royalty checks doe.

16. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Passenger vocal melodies are pop oriented. Stye sounds more like modern metal. And those reviews were comparing passenger with r2r, I think.

Also the style of the guitars can have some similarities, like no solos, etc, but that was a constant on metal albums during those days. (I'm talking about new metal and the influence that it had in bands like if)

17. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I'm still laughing at people buying this and expecting an indie rock band :D instead here's Anders and Niclas with their weird nu metal side project. Enjoy.

Jester313 likes this.
  18. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Actually, the more I listen to this, the more it reminds me of a combination of SC/Battles. I can't imagine that's a coincidence.

19. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Well, Anders vocals have a lot of pop influences in the passenger album, sometimes recognizable influences. Sometimes not. But his vocals are definitely based on pop melodies. This (pop influence) was also confirmed by Anders when they released the album.

If you're talking about if, then it is definitely indie rock.

20. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

It's not. Anders is making if his own personal project and Bjorn is cool with it.