This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by Jabi, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I've seen this posted a few people, out of curiosity what makes you guys think this album is going to sell better than the other two? Haven't IF album sales been dropping for years? They're with the same producer and the same label as the last album, and it's not like the singles have been good enough to create a buzz outside of the IFWT crew (not from what I've seen, anyway)... so why do some of you think this album is going to sell better than Battles, or SC (which, remember, was on Sony Music!)?

2. Sister Of Destruction

Sister Of Destruction #teamjesterslave

There is no ,, better in flames album"
    All of them are the best :p:)

3. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

4. Sister Of Destruction

Sister Of Destruction #teamjesterslave

5. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

6. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Judging by the reactions of the people, they seem to be more happy about this album than about the previous ones. Though I don't think that it's going to sell more than the previous ones together. Having in mind that even soapf was not a big success. But it will probably sell more than battles.

I think that's good that people is more happy about this kind of IF, but I also think that fans should raise their standards about what they considere good IF music. Repeated riffs and structures and a singer that's been constantly loosing his own path do not seem to ne the best possible way to make new music for a consolidated band.

7. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I dunno, to me this has more or less followed the same pattern as Battles. The End/I Am Above were well liked, The Truth/This Is Our House were despised, Through My Eyes/I, the Mask (or Save Me/Voices) were a step down from the first single but still got OK reception. I think people are letting the overall perception of Battles influence how they remember the build up to the album release. It was strikingly similar.

#3047 DE4life, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. TheJestersDoor

TheJestersDoor Keep calm and bash Anders

Except for the fact that Through My Eyes is a poorly produced frankenstein shit show of a song that doesn't flow, has no memorability and its separate parts don't cohesively fit together. Don't get me started on the mixing of it either.

9. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I agree, but that's not how people reacted to it at the time.

10. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

:D how opinions change, eh? From this to...

And you wonder why Eochaid, A88 and myself get so frustrated with you guys :rofl:

Also quite funny to read this as Krofius said the exact same thing recently about this album :D

11. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Agreed. Battles was highly praised. Maybe because SC was before. And the same might happen to this album. We've got 4 songs so far. There are 8 (?) left. And I don't think that the ones left are going to make this album better. Just the opposite. But I will be happy if I'm wrong.

DE4life likes this.
  12. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. galvanized

galvanized Member

Through My Eyes sucks. I hate that song.

All album sales are falling due to streaming so that alone isn’t a great indicator.

I think this new album will succeed by avoiding most of the problems of the last two albums. I think they are taking the safe road here. This album will even be safer than SOAPF. And that’s why it will succeed.

Compositionally SOAPF was better than a number of other IF albums but the shift in overall sound (guitar tone, mood) was a big one after ASOP. Then SC which was totally experimental. Then Battles which was pop/rock influenced.

On the songs released so far IF is sticking with a metal foundation and drawing from a number of riff and solo styles from their back catalog. The IF album is shaping up to be a lot like a Super Smash Brothers game. So yeah, very safe. But they need safe right now after a bunch of very divisive albums. I bet the reviews DO say “a return to form”. I mean, it is. They are recording metal songs again. That is reason alone to celebrate.

And yeah, there are still Battles choruses but I actually much prefer the new style chorus structures over the old stuff. Now they have a pre chorus, then chorus section A, then chorus section B, then a post chorus thing. Tension actually builds. More complex instead of just “this is where Anders tries to sing”. Also I like the vocal harmonies.

So, my bet is it will be the best received album since SOAPF or even before. Best received as in overall fans listening to it. I bet critic scores are still not great because so far it doesn’t seem that original. But I predict it will be a “guilty pleasure” for many listeners. Let’s see if I’m right haha.

Riamu and TheJestersDoor like this.
  14. TheJestersDoor

TheJestersDoor Keep calm and bash Anders

Okay yeah mabye I overreacted when it was released XD Battles had grown old for me after a matter of weeks, the initial joy of it didn't last

Ilias7 likes this.
  15. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

They're playing safe except for Andets who's constantly reminding us how much he does admire Jared Leto.

The screams on the verses are making people forget how terrible and impersonal they are the new choruses.

16. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Not all of them. Not as dramatically as IF.

The metal community was supposed to be very supportive of their bands. And that included buying the albums.

17. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Battles/ITM choruses are the absolute worst for me. Totally uncreative, poor vocal melodies and all sounding very similar to each other. Anders pretending that he's a front man of some cool american pop-punk band. With all due respect, fuck off with that shit. At least Siren Charms has some originality, albeit mostly from stupid production choices.

18. krofius

krofius Active Member

Well maybe because it was true in both cases? Also I'm not talking about the albums, only about the singles. Generally from what I've seen though, people seem to enjoy The Mask way more than anything off of Battles.

19. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Only because you've forgotten how much people were digging the Battles stuff when it came out.

eochaid likes this.
  20. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

But he probably remembers how much his perception about the album has changed.