This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by Jabi, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

No idea how you could like In This Life and then call Burn and Deep Inside poor tracks. ITL has shitty, sludgy riffs and an awful chorus. Literally the only redeeming factor in the song is the short solo, which is actually quite nice.

That said, I guess if you're a fan of Siren Charms I can understand why you'd like ITL. It sounds like it was ripped from Siren Charms and given the Benson treatment.

2. A88

A88 Bottled - really not the worst IF song ever.

LiiIIiiiffe... Terrible song.

3. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Feels like this is going to be All For Me repeated... everybody saying it's good, nobody being able to properly explain why :D

4. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

All the songs except All The Pain is freaking awesome. In This Life and We Will Remember grew on me.

5. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Sometimes you just like a song without being able to quantify why. Doesn’t really need an explanation — we’re not talking science, here. Otherwise you’d have people like “wait, I can’t explain why I like this, so my positive opinion is invalid.”

To me it reminds me of some old alt rock and indie music I was listening to back in high school, and I like that they’re able to convey a feeling of optimism and wistfulness with distorted guitars, when it would’ve been easy to resort to acoustics. It feels lighter than most of their ballads without technically being one and I think that’s pretty neat.

Plus, I like Anders’ vocal melodies here. Reminds me of Mew. Weird that In Flames made a song like this, but I’ve started to like it, so kudos to them.

Also, the “liiiiiIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIfe” thing is not a sticking point to me and I’m surprised it’s become such a meme around here. But again, I’ve been exposed to a lot of music that has extended notes like that, so it never once leapt out at me as unusual. I guess maybe it’s weird because it’s Anders doing it? I could agree with that.

Burn and Deep Inside are throwaway generic metal tracks. To me they’re the definition of filler. They’re the “Darker Times” and “Enter Tragedy” of this record.

galvanized likes this.
  6. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

I don't understand the hate for Deep Inside. The main riff is interesting, first time you hear something like this from IF. It's melodic, vocals are good. Last chorus is power as F. :D

Jester Slave likes this.
  7. TheJestersDoor

TheJestersDoor Keep calm and bash Anders

Calling Enter Tragedy filler is heresy. That's one of the best "Heavy" songs modern IF have written

Ilias7 and Man Made Bod like this.
  8. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

I think it’s pretty decent now, but when the album first came out I hated that song. I thought the bridge (“this inner apathy brings me to life”) was so awful that it ruined the whole thing, but I learned to live with it. The chorus is really good, though.

But I think you could easily cut it out of the album and nothing would be really lost.

9. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Here’s another way to explain it: imagine a scenario where Björn only had so many good ideas to use when writing SOAPF. He distributed them all pretty evenly across the record, but didn’t have enough left for “Darker Times” and “Enter Tragedy”. So those songs got the leftovers. Which is how I feel about “Burn” and “Deep Inside”.

Wouldn’t say the same about “We Will a Remember”, though. I think that song has clear intent and purpose behind it. I just think it really really sucks.

10. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

lmao I've already explained why all for me is good

11. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

I sat down with "Deep Inside" and asked it the hard questions.

Me: "Can you describe to me the basis of your foreign policy?"

Deep Inside: "Did you know that when the bird steals your hat in the desert level of Mario 64, you start to die?"

Okay, so something struck me about "Deep Inside". By the time it's over, so much has happened. The song is a fucking journey. And that bridge is excellent, obviously. I can't say I'm thrilled with the song as it stands but at least it's adventurous and not the filler that I described it as.

12. galvanized

galvanized Member

I don’t understand why All The Pain is getting so much hate. In my opinion it’s one of the best tracks if not the best after Stay With Me. Maybe even as good but different. Everyone has been complaining about autotune. All The Pain has little and shows Anders’ real voice extremely well. The harmonized solo is great, haven’t heard that since WTDSD. All The Pain is amazing. It is THE song I want to listen to over and over again. And Voices.

The album starts super strong, and finishes super strong. It’s the stuff in the middle that is a little questionable.

#4612 galvanized, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  13. GraemeSinclair

The bridge is life, and it kinda elevates the whole song just by association. They could have just had those pretty chords, but they go above and beyond and layer a really beautiful flowing melody over the top of it. It feels like Anders is narrating small human issues against a huge, celestial soundscape. Jester Script Transfigured and Satellites and Astronauts give me the same vibes.

14. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

All The Pain is an excellent song, very much in the vein of Siren Charms (specifically Through Oblivion) so it appeals to me a lot. I'm not huge on the major-key pre-chorus, but everything else is amazing.

And yep, it's the stretch from (This is Our) House through Deep Inside that brings the album down for me. But In This Life and Deep Inside are slowly growing on me. House, too, although that one has a low ceiling. If those songs were as good as the rest of them, this would be my favorite non-Siren Charms IF album since Come Clarity.

The bridge does have such an old-school feel to it, yeah. The clean guitars and acoustics on this album are all extremely high-quality and up there with the band's best.

#4614 ThePhobiac, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  15. Ilias7

Ilias7 Member

I strongly disagree. Deep Inside is not musically only about the main riff, like Call My Name. There is great guitar work everywhere: the verses, the pre-chorus, the part before the solo ( Bullet Ride, anyone? ), the solo and the melodic part before the final chorus ( Clayman vibes ). I don't think that so much solid guitar work is Björn's leftovers.

Also, I've just learned how to play Burn on the guitar. It's not easy at all and there are some very interesting stuff in there. I appreciated the two solos even more after I learned how to play them.

All The Pain is an awesome song. The build-up is extraordinary. If it had a more massive chorus, it would be perfect. Sure, it is the song that I am most addicted to ( from the non-singles ).

The problem with this album are the songs 6, 7 and 8. Everything else is good or excellent.

DE4life likes this.
  16. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

OK, revised opinion after many more listens. Only going to list songs where my rating has changed.

Follow Me - 7/10 (+0.5) - quite a nice track. The autotuning on the vocals is still annoying and stops it from going any higher though.

(This is our) House - -/10/10 (-10) - fuck this song.

We Will Remember - 6.5/10 (-0.5) - I still think it's an OK song, but it's pretty repetitive. Lack of ideas.

In This Life - 2/10(-2) - auto-skip material for me. Reminds me of Siren Charms in the worst way. Song needs to be sped up by at least x2 and lose that god forsaken chorus.

Deep Inside - 8/10 (+1) - good vocals, good music, really nice solo and bridge. Very good modern IF track.

All The Pain - 7.5/10 (+1.5) - this one has grown on me quite a lot. Anders carries the melody really well with his voice during this song, and there's some decent instrumental at parts too. By far the worst part of this song is the chorus. It sounds awkward and simply doesn't work. A shame as the rest of the song flows very well.

Stay With Me - 9/10 (+2.5) - what was I thinking ranking this a 6.5? Up there with the best IF ballads.

Not Alone - 6.5/10 (+1.5) - another one which has unexpectedly grown on me. The chorus is a real earworm and there are some good riffs on here. Overall still not that good but better than I initially thought.

Overall rating: 7.5/10 (+1) - aside from a handful of really poor songs (ITL & House especially) this is easily the most solid and listenable IF album since the glory that was SOAPF. It blows away the misery of Siren Charms and the hollow emptiness of Battles. I'm not going to put my hopes for the future here as the band is so unpredictable, but this is the path they should continue on. Combine SOAPF with ITM in the next album and it could easily be a 8 or 9/10 album.

#4616 DE4life, Mar 4, 2019
    mindd, Ilias7 and miniroch like this.
  17. miniroch

miniroch Member

I just read a polish review (2.5/10), with such statement, rougly translated:
    "Final songs, endlessly extended All The Pain and Stay With Me (the title of the latter appears in the song 35 times) combine to one of the worst finale, patetic and boring". For our polish fellows interested: https://kvlt.pl/recenzje/in-flames-i-the-mask-2019/
    What the hell? :D

But my guess is it is easy to overlook this gem, since it's really hard to focus after In This Life crap. I barely paid attention to Deep Inside and All The Pain at first, the former grew really fast, but I'm still re-descovering the latter.

#4617 miniroch, Mar 4, 2019
  18. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Yeah, I think I had some fatigue by the end of the album and wasn't paying as much attention to the later songs as I should have.

Damn, that's a brutal review :D but then to be expected from a website calling itself "kvlt" I suppose. Google gives me some "interesting" translations...

"Disgraceful" :D I like it.

:rofl:

Savage :eek:

19. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

You seem to be confused about how it works the autotune. It does not "change" your voice. It corrects your mistakes while singing. Can also be used to bring some effects when extremely used, but that's it.

When people says that Anders uses autotune they're not talking about his voicr but about how well he does his clean lines.

20. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Oops, my headphones just slipped out of my phone in the office whilst I was listening to Burn, and everybody got a few seconds blast of Bjorn's guitarwork :D it's funny though, as even though I don't find anything on Burn especially heavy, the looks of ":eek:" on a few colleagues faces suggests that to the casual music listener that stuff does still sound pretty heavy.

Can't imagine the reaction if it had been Anders growling instead :D

Vermyn likes this.