This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by Jabi, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

In Flames is the train that speeds along the tracks of hell. Everyone gets on, all wide-eyed and digging their shit, and eventually everyone gets off, albeit at different stations. You can't be an IF fan and keep liking their new albums forever as they get released. It's impossible. Even the fanboys/girls have a limit. I got on with R2R, and while I didn't get off with Battles, it did have me glancing at the exit. Not that this is a bad thing, mind. This band changes its sound constantly. It's only natural.

Anecdotally, SOAPF is where IF listeners I know were like "nope, this is too different" and moved on. I totally get that. I think it sounds drastically different than ASOP. A completely different band. Jesper's absence was immediately noticeable, but it was still good music, just very different.

I think the next album will be Battles 2.

The ghost of Henke Forss haunts me in my sleep.

#961 ThePhobiac, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. galvanized

galvanized Active Member

Noooooooooo

3. Sister Of Destruction

Sister Of Destruction #teamjesterslave

4. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

So what happens when Jesper defends ASOP? R2R-CC were sellouts, then ASOP not? But we hate ASOP and love CC, right? It's getting confusing if you/we want to enforce this narrative.

And I always said: if you hate R2R for being "sellout", then hate Clayman too. It baffles me to no end that people cream over Clayman as the last real IF record with fucking songs like OFTW and Suburban Me, like right buddy. Time travel back to TJR and show these to people. Good luck not getting beaten up, while trying to explain it's still the same "spirit" or whatever.

But you said it right: you cannot accept Clayman is the sellout album. Now, insert the same sentence, except every single IF fan says a different record in place of Clayman. To me, it's SOAPF - not sellout, but if I am forced to name the first record which is the least like IF, then I would say that. I'm sure some would even say Colony, and they wouldn't be completely wrong tbh. It was like their first really professional album. More professionalism usually means less amateurish enthusiasm, which can not be reproduced, ever.
    See? Now STYE is the sellout! It's like a hot potato.
    Vide is unavailable o_O Anyway, here it is on youtube:

edit: decent song, but it annoys me to no end, when bands make 5+ minute long music, and they do fuck all in the second half of the song. Have some breakdown or anything, don't just repeat the chorus.

5. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

How exactly does STYE sound like anything In Flames did pre-2004? It literally sounds like a different band feat. Anders on vocals. To be honest STYE doesn't sound like anything they did post-2004 either so it's just stuck in a weird position of "remember that time IF toured with Slipknot and we ended up with STYE?"

Works for me. Song sucks though. Within Temptation have always been incredibly boring to me. What's more annoying is when a band has a song which says "Feat. [fairly well known singer]" and their contribution is a few random lines that literally anybody could have done. Anders contribution here is essentially a scattering of background screams. At least give the guest singer a verse or a prominent section in the chorus if you're going to advertise them as being part of the song.

6. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

Anders F-ckin' Friden, making songs even better since 1995. :D Well some of you guys might know but I'm declaring myself as Anders fanboy at this point. Anders could fart for 3 minutes and I would still love it.

7. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

We know, bro. We know :D

ciko_gfb likes this.
  8. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

In fact that's whay he's been doing for the past years.

It's nice that you need to listen to within temptation to hear Anders scream. I mean, pretending to scream.

9. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

Not really, you could hear scream on Battles aswell. The End comes my mind for a quick example. :D

10. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Out of curiosity has Anders ever been a guest for any band with his clean vocals? I only remember him being a guest to do screams :D

11. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

There are few songs, some of them are not on Youtube so I'll link Spotify.

The Bloody Beetroots - Irreversible (has some screams but mostly clean)

Martin Rubashov - Black Elk

Also I just discovered a song that probably none of us heard. Sounds like a movie music,Interesting one:

I Dreamed A Dream:

12. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

Anders screams like a female goblin having a fake orgasm.

13. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

It was still some fast paced melodic metal music. Friend could be even passed as an MDM song.

Maybe too experimental? Sure, but it was still IF.

14. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Nothing on STYE sounds like anything from their back catalogue. You could call SOAPF melodic metal by that standard too, so I'm not sure why you'd suddenly set the mark there..

15. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

Friend, Bottled (yes) and In Search For I could be passed as a combination of various older IF styles.

It's also one of the recorrds from the three where Anders' screams were fucking amazing. You may dig his style on R2R and CC more, but nonetheless, it was an important part of that era. It's a bit weird to acknowledge R2R and CC, but then saying they burned their bridges with STYE.

16. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Your first sentence I just totally disagree with so no point debating that.

I agree that Anders' screams sound good on STYE, but that's irrelevent. Nobody said anything about "burning bridges" so not sure where you're getting that from. The point is that STYE sounds very different to everything before and after it. That's not a judgement on it in terms of quality, just an auditory fact.

17. InWaves

InWaves Member

Anders had the smallest vocal feature I've ever encountered on that Within Temptation song

#977 InWaves, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  18. miniroch

miniroch Member

It's Within Temptation mate, don't expect him to go full Lunar Strain mode. The guy can pull of his screams, it's more of a matter what the rock opera audience can handle.

This one has quite a lot of cleans.

19. eochaid

eochaid Asshole

As if he can do it better (he can't).

20. miniroch

miniroch Member

Guess you're right.