This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by krofius, Jan 14, 2011.

1. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I agree Come Clarity was lyrically a good album in some parts - Dead End is fantastic, Vacuum is nice and Vanishing Light is alright too. On the other hand TTL, Scream and the title track are really bleugh lyrics. The rest are so-so, not on the level of his previous attempts IMO.

I thought the lyrics on STYE were poor from beginning to end... especially crap like "I Like You Better Dead" and "Borders and Shading". ASOP's were just abysmal, especially as Anders appeared to have stepped it up on Come Clarity.

The first two leaked songs of SOAPF have delivered on the lyrical front though, and looking at the song titles gives me confidence the entire album will be similarly inspired. No contrast between titles like 'Fear is the Weakness', 'Where the Dead Ships Dwell', 'Enter Tragedy' and 'A New Dawn' and the cringefest that was 'The Mirror's Truth', 'Delight and Angers', 'Sleepless Again' (good song, bad title) and 'Disconnected'.

2. TrickySkittles

TrickySkittles Assclown

I thought their best lyrical moment was the chorus on My Sweet Shadow. Probably in my top 5 for any band that I've ever listened to. It's uplifting with an appropriate amount of crypticism (word? lawl). It's pretty epic live also.

3. 21-only-son

21-only-son Member

4. krofius

krofius Active Member

No, it hasn't. But I know they covered Blinded By Fear another time in 2004.
    That show was a one time thing, it was a thing called Decibel 200 000 I think, all the bands that played that show played rare setlists (IF played World of Promises the only time live, and they will never do it again Anders said) to gather money for the guy who was in charge of Decibel cause he was in debts or something, I don't recall really. But it was all for getting that guy money, no one of the bands playing that night got any money whatsoever.
    Well on Jesterhead there is some really cool backstage jam stuff, there is a video when they play like 1min 30sec of Blinded By Fear (Anders not there) also another when they play half Moonshield, all without vocals. Also Björn playing Dead god in me on drums which is really cool to see, and also Jesper behind the kit just jamming some random stuff, he doesn't seem so good anymore though, but Björn still got drum skills it seems.

5. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Yeah, I'll give you My Sweet Shadow... the rest though, Anders must have been high as hell.

"The I is lost in me
    But I am ready to give you The M,
    It might even be the E
    As I begin to search for I
    The I is lost in me"

:D

6. A88

A88 Bottled - really not the worst IF song ever.

Give me an M!

Give me an E!

Give me an...

:lol:

7. Dantess9226

Dantess9226 FINN BALOR

C'mon guys, that's actually some real clever lyrical work gone on there! Anders seems to bring touches of genius, who the fuck else would come up with stuff like that?

"Would you Spend nowhere with Me?" :D

I think STYE was a good album. I like the feel of the riffs, some vocals weren't so good but the screaming was really nailed, in my eyes (ears?). Lyrics were all wackey with moments of genius in every song, although some seemed to suck (Touch of Red springs to mind). Really like the atmospheric synths on that record too- The Quiet Place, My Sweet Shadow (the end of that song is great), Dial 959-escape.

I'm hoping SOAPF (that abbreviation is really bugging me, "don't drop the Soap!") will bring more of the same brilliant keyboarding that makes the awesome atmosphere we've come to love from In Flames. Beginning to think In Flames should have a touring keyboardist!

8. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

not sure about touches of genius matey :D STYE isn't THAT bad, in terms of general metal albums it's okay. In comparison to In Flames other albums it's just one of the worst, imo. And a lot of the lyrics on it are fail, only ASOP is worse. Again, they're still better than a lot of other metal lyrics, just poor in comparison to Anders past attempts.

9. krofius

krofius Active Member

They do seem silly BUT, Anders has, since Clayman written lyrics with clever metaphors which makes everyone have different interpretions of what the songs is really about. TJR, Whoracle and Colony had their concepts, but nowadays Anders said he likes to write lyrics that are open for interpretation.
    I doubt that chorus really is about letters, lol.

10. A88

This!

Anders really does have some moments of genius, but sometimes he fucks things up badly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdDVVZ5qDI&feature=related[/ame]

Give me an M... Give me an E!

I-N-F-L-A-M-E-S!

;)

11. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Anders is capable of much better than that, regardless. Silly lyrics imo, interpretation or not.

12. A88

His lyrics on Clayman album are really good imo.

"Spend some quality time with the demon of mine
    I like the way you struggle but you know I'm here to win"

13. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I'd agree that Clayman was apex of Anders' lyrical talent... Colony was fantastic as well. With a better grip of English at the time those lyrics would be up there with some of the best... as it stands they're still amazing, you just have to correct some of the grammar in your mind :D

14. Clay-Man

Clay-Man Anders pre-2003

Colony, Clayman and Reroute, which were written by him, were all, pure, fucking, gold.

Clayman was complete poetry. Anders said he truly felt like shit when he was working on Clayman, so everything he wrote was more real than anything he wrote before.

15. Supernatural

Supernatural New Metal Member

I was searching youtube for old In Flames shows today when i stumbled across this video. It's a bootleg of a whole set from the Whoracle tour in Japan.

01- Intro - 0:00:00
    02- Behind space - 0:01:45
    03- Gyroscope - 0:06:08
    04- Jotun - 0:09:30
    05- Food for the gods - 0:13:13
    06- Artifacts of the black rain - 0:17:47
    07- Stand ablaze - 0:21:20
    08- Upon a oaken throne - 0:25:16
    09- Moonschield - 0:28:34
    10- Dead eternity - 0:32:56
    11- Worlds within the margin - 0:37:08
    12- Episode 666 - 0:41:29
    13- Jesterscript transfigured - 0:45:37
    14- The hive - 0:50:06
    15- The jester race - 0:57:28
    16- Murders in the rue morgue (Iron maiden cover) - 1:02:09
    17- Clad in shadows - 1:08:27
    18- Everything counts (Depeche mode cover) - 1:11:25
    19- Whoracle - 1:14:42

Could not believe my eyes when i saw World within the margin live. I just had to sign up here and share it with some fellow In Flames fans. Enjoy!

#635 Supernatural, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  16. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I've seen WWTM live :)

I loved it, everyone else in the audience stood around looking like In Flames had just shat themselves on stage.

17. A88

Wow Supernatural tnx!

Now, that is a set list I like. Anders growls like beast!

I love how they skip or fuck up complicated guitar parts. :)

18. cellander

cellander Member

Jester Script Transfigured is my all time favorite In Flames song. I didn't know that they'd played it on a live show. Nice find, sounds a bit different from the album version though.

19. CyberInflames

Hello guys, I'm new on the board, but I've been reading your comments since a few weeks.
    In fact I'm the webmaster of Mysweetforum.com (a French fansite about the band that has existed for more than 5 years now) maybe some of you know the site. We are rebuilding it totally and hope to launch it with a section for the non-French-speaking fans who are able to share their thoughts in a clever way (like what I've seen here :)). We'll give the word when it's online.

Well I'm not here just to make some advertisements for my website. I've read a post from Krofius about a Swedish review/article/interview about The Resistance in Close-Up. I've bought this magazine digitally, and translated the Resistance part (actually I don't understand Swedish, so I went through online translator to have the text in English and then in French for my website), I haven't kept the English version but I could still provide you the main ideas, unless Krofius has already done the job.

Besides, on Mysweetforum.com, everyday from today (monday) to sunday, we are adding a brief description (not a complete one in order to still be on good terms with CM or IF's mangement eheh) of two tracks off SOAPF, the two first were the title track and "Deliver Us", so nothing new to you guys, but the next ones could be interesting. And yeah, it's in French, though google trad might do the job very well, or I could write an English version here if I have the time ;)

20. cellander

cellander Member

Actually I've been to mysweetforum a couple of times with some help from google translate. :Spin:

Good luck, looking forward to it!