This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

In Flames

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34, Jan 28, 2006.

1. dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34

What genre are In Flames considered? A lot of people say they are death metal but they really don't sound it to me.

2. CF87

CF87 Active Member

New in flames sucks. Older in flames sounds like Iron Maiden with folk elements and raspy vocals.

I would consider older in flames melodic metal or progressive metal. A lot of people consider them melodic death metal.

3. MadeInNewJersey

MadeInNewJersey nursing my wounds

They used to be melodic death metal.

Now they're garbage.

4. Stormwatch

Stormwatch Cock.

Everything I've ever heard by them is total crap. That live album "Tokyo Showdown" is the worst piece of shit ever. WHy the fuck don't they bother with solos? Nu-metal died partly because of that - bands that jumped on the no solos bandwagon (like Metallica) can fuck right off.

5. MadeInNewJersey

You've never heard their 1st 3 albums? Because they're far from crap. Well, 1st 2 albums & Colony I should say (4th album). Plenty of guitar, 0% "nu" anything.

That live album is quite possibly the single most embarassing disc ever released though.

6. Stormwatch

Stormwatch Cock.

No. The live album put me off them for ever. I won't bother giving them a chance - if they need to drop solos to jump on some shitty bandwagon I have no interest in listening to anything of theirs. There's plenty other bands around I can listen to.

7. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Umm...There are a fair amount of solos on the first four albums. Those are definitely melodic death metal albums. The first two full-lengths and first two EPs are great. Clayman is a melodeath album. I wouldn't know what to call RtR. It's actually a very experimental album. I guess most of the newer stuff falls under the melodeath umbrella though.

8. WNxScythe

WNxScythe Member

Errr... plenty of amazing non-"nu" bands don't solo at all... look at the BM scene for example.

9. Stormwatch

Stormwatch Cock.

Yes, but IF started out doing solos and dropped them, suspicioulsy around the same time as nu-metal took off, similarly to Metallica. Bandwagon jumping.

10. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I agree to a certain extent. I was already into the older stuff a tad bit before the band heard the american nu-metal scene so i'm not bothered as much as you. If never hearing the band prior to this shitty new stuff I would not waste my time either. You know when bands get so bad you would not be caught dead wearing their T-Shirts anymore. The band has released what 3,4 albums so far in their new direction. Now that's becoming what the band is known for. The bands past means less and less because a lot of people actually like the new stuff or prefere it. A lot of mainstream people don't like guitar solos because it gives music a less pop feel(Not that everything needs solo's). When you have talent not using it people like me think you are in music for $. Or maybe the band could simply have a different outlook towards music by being exposed & likeing something that is totally opposite of what the band was about originally. If I could write solos,write harmonies like older in flames i'd expand on it rather than dropping it.

A lot of bands do not realize they could expand on something getting bored eventually taking a complete turn.

A lot of bands that change I always think could have done another similiar album with knew touches before reinventing the band & question their motives for why they make music.

11. The_Harmathroditic_Ferret

The_Harmathroditic_Ferret I Like Violence

And thats one reason I don't like Black Metal that much.

12. Vital Remains

Vital Remains Just a Man

in flames has turned into more of a "hot-topic" band these days. i think their old shit kicked ass though

13. The_Harmathroditic_Ferret

I've always found In Flames to just be poor mans At The Gates. I've always liked Dark Tranquillity better anyway. But yes, after there Ozzfest debut they are quite popular amongst the scene kids nowadays.

14. skeptik

skeptik Member

While it is true that ATG > Dark Tranquillity > In Flames, I think they all are fairly independent of each other, in particular At The Gates.

15. The_Harmathroditic_Ferret

At The Gates was still like such a huge influence to the whole Gothenburg and Sweedish melo-death scene, and I always just found the latter to be just following the wake At The Gates made. While the sound I think is pretty distinct for each, I think ATG was such a huge influence to all those bands like In Flames and DT that came later.

16. CF87

CF87 Active Member

All three of At The Gates albums are lame to me. Regardless both bands are very different. In Flames was very harmony oriented. Same goes for Dark Tranquility.

At The Gates is very limited compared to both bands on a musical level regardless what the band influenced.

17. The_Harmathroditic_Ferret

For the record, your the first person I've ever met who's said that.

Let alone, I've met many people who like to say Slaughter of the Soul is one of the 10 best Death Metal albums ever made (I don't agree, but they exist). I can't say the same for any DT album.

18. skeptik

skeptik Member

With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness and The Red In The Sky Is Ours demonstrate a limited range on a musical level?

19. MadeInNewJersey

Well that's ridiculous. It's plain fucking stupid to judge the worst-ever recorded live album and use it as a reason to ignore Lunar Strains, The Jester Race and Colony. Even Whoracle is decent.

20. Impure616

Impure616 non serviam

In Flames fucking sucks aside from Lunar Strain and Subterranean everything else is shit.