This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Instrument input in the Firewire Solo

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Another Guitar Dude, May 28, 2015.

1. Another Guitar Dude

Hi all,

I have an old Firewire Solo that I've been using mainly for pre-demos and youtube videos, however, in a few weeks I'm tracking DI guitars for an EP and I would like to achieve the best quality possible in such DIs. I read some days ago that the Hi-Z input (instrument input) in the Firewire Solo is not very good and some people recommend the use of DI boxes using the mic input instead. Do you think a DI box is worth buying? Would it make a big difference in the quality of the DIs?

Thanks for your help.

2. Pickasso

Pickasso Member

I would say find a manual for your interface, and look up the input impedance measurement for the Hi-z input. If the input impedance is low, then yeah, you'd notice a huge difference using a di box, 1 Mohm or higher impedance is ideal for guitar. It's like taking off constraints choking the tone.

If your interface's impedance is already 1 Mohm, the difference will be slight, how's the tone right now?

3. Another Guitar Dude

Thanks for your reply Pickasso. I checked the specs and the impedance of the instrument input is 270 kOhms. It's quite low, isn't it ? I think I'll start looking at some DI boxes then. Or maybe would you recommend to invest in a new interface instead?

As I said, I never noticed that the tone was bad with the Firewire Solo for the stuff I was doing (recording pre-demos and youtube videos). However, now I'm more serious into mixing and I have this EP recording coming soon so I would like to have the best tone I could get.