This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

International / Big Local band Tours thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

No, that was Doro. She was coming out for that Destruction Of Oz fest and it fucked up royally, then Steve Ravic brought her out, and Dungeon was looking after a lot of the tour logistics.

Edguy 2004 was the same situation too. Hooray when the support band holds things together when the promoter drops the ball, hey?

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

OK, cool. Was right about female metal singer fucked over by dodger bastards and saved by the bands part.
    Not really that uncommon on any level of the music scene. Way back when had to step in to save some Aussie national band tours because the person who was meant to promote it fucked off before things got under way, leaving many bands with hotels booked and paid for but no venues or supports.

3. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

What exactly motivates these people? I can understand that it would be cool to bring out a band you like and get the plaudits that come with a successful tour, but why would anyone want to fuck up royally like some have? Or do they start with good intentions, but are too unprofessional to pull it off?

4. Lord Tim

People are clueless.

"Hey, I like X band! If they come out and we sell 1000 tickets at $70 each, that's $70,000! Fuck yeah! We'll be rich!"

... minus the band fee... minus the flight costs... minus the venue hire... production costs... staff... crew... hotel rooms... catering... transport... daily allowance... advertising, etc. etc. etc.

And then there's all of the logistics like work visas, etc.

And then after all that, if anyone drops the ball, that 1000 tickets could easily be 200 tickets. Suddenly all of that money they had to pay the band and all of the other expenses is not only gone but in the massive negatives.

"But we were gonna make a shitload! What happened?! Quick, we still have $14,000. Let's fuck off quick with it now before anyone notices"

And there you have it - every fly-by-night promoter summed up right there.

5. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I don't remember which tour it was (this is going back a while), but I remember talking with a "lesser known" international band that came out. They were bitching because the "promoter" had factored in every cost into the tour... except how the band was supposed to get between shows. They had tickets into and out of Australia, but landed with no way of getting gear to the venue or to the next city

They where saved eventually by the main support having organised a mini-bus for themselves with spare seats

6. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I doubt we will see an end to this problem anytime soon.

I remember when Doro was suppose to come out with Sodom, Mayhem and a couple of others bands during the early 2000s for a mini festival in Melbourne.

I can't remember the name of it, but long story short the promoter ran off with all the money before the tour could even get off the ground. I think that was my first experience with shitful promoters in this country.

7. Lord Tim

Destruction Of Oz.

8. Lord Tim

This is almost exactly what happened with Edguy 2004 in fact.

9. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Yeah, I remember some of the shit you guys went through with that Tim... It's guys like you who help keep some semblance of respect for Aussie metal. :)

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

11. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Hmmm maybe it was Edguy. It's sad to think that there's more then one occasion shit like this could have gone down

12. Shadow298

yeah, a tubby bastard called Alex or Alec.
    Had to cover about 3 of his local aussie band shows in Canberra with bands that he was supposed to managing.
    Burnt a lot of people very badly and took down our international standing with a lot of bands and proper promoters.
    Guy was out and out dodgy.

13. Lord Tim

Nope, Alex was another fuckwit entirely. He did local Sydney and Canberra shows and did his best to lie and steal from bands. Twisted Prophecies or something like that?

The Destruction Of Oz show guy was a "Mark" something. Shows you what an impact he made on the touring scene, hey?

14. Shadow298

Alex did bring out at least one international act if I recall. Mystic Cirlce or similar but that might have been Mark again.

We forget their names but we always remember the damage that they did and how many people they affected.

Am probably remembering wrong but I think Marduk were booked for Destruction of Oz as well and after it fell through they had a fit online about how badly organised things were and that affected Australia's rep as a place to tour.

One fuckwit can cause so much damage, so some regulations or at least guidelines for organising and registering touring business would be a good thing.

15. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

It seems to happen every year.Thankfully the number of good tours seem to outweigh the bad, so bands still come here. It would pay for bands' management to properly check out the credentials of promoters before agreeing to come out though; I think at least part of the blame should be apportioned to those willing to listen to these idiots. Would you risk a tour on someone who's never brought out a band before? Let someone else be the guinea pig.

16. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Lita was put on a bill with Warrant and some unknown Aus. band, it was advertised for a short period then slowly the bands started disappearing from the line up.

In the end L.A. Guns were finally brought out by that promoter for that bill and were stuffed around royally. They were on their way to Melbourne and the venue wasn't even confirmed.

IIRC the promoter (who was in the unknown Aus. band mentioned above) had a glass smashed over his head by one of their crew after an argument on the minibus on the way there?

s

17. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Ah yes.

lol.

s

18. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

God! I remember that.

Warrant pulled out before the tour started. Quiet Riot found out at the last minute they were going to be royally screwed and pulled out and LA Guns were already on their way to Australia and found out everything went to shit when they landed and no one was there to pick them up.

19. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

On a different note, the Lord gig at the Airport lounge in Perth was bloody great stuff as always!

Unfortunately, the Lord set was cut a little short by earlier acts running over time (I think) but a small consolation was the Album launch of new power metal act and local Perth group Silent Knight. Those guys brought all their friends and put on a good stage performance. Psychonaut, which I can best describe as quirky, Pslam-69-esque thrash were excellent as always and the opening act, Empires Laid Waste ensured that my eardrums were wrecked until Sunday!!

Fantastic concert - thanks to all the entertainers!

How was Bunbury?

20. cowboy

cowboy Member

Heard from a reliable source:

Aerosmith
    Sydney 28 April. Brisbane 1 May. Melbourne 4 May.

Announcement to come next week.