This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Interview with Toby In My Local Paper

Discussion in 'Kayo Dot' started by pixiesfan, Jan 12, 2007.

1. pixiesfan

pixiesfan Cadaveric

Tartar Lamb is coming to my town on the 18th and I got the local paper to write up a small article on Toby. There is a short interview..

Weekender: What is it about your impressionistic take on music that makes you think others will be able to relate to it?

Driver: There are melodic ideas. The piece is so abstract it may take a while for the listener to realize what's going on. It's sometimes atonal but sometimes very tonal. It kind of goes in and out. I'm hesitant to say there's a greater purpose. I didn't have an agenda when writing these songs.

Weekender:
    I read that your solo project is an extension of Kayo Dot, and more specifically, mellower and more experimental?

Driver:
    It's not an extension, it's separate. ...For the solo stuff, I did a record of more large-scale experimental solo music last year, but Tartar Lamb was put together to play a specific piece I wrote, a 45-minute low-key violin and guitar composition with other musicians doing improv.

Weekender: Describe your personal evolution. What brought you to this type of music?

Driver: I've always been interested in more difficult stuff to listen to ... and was just interested in a different kind of expression of a musical idea. I also did it to teach myself about compositional techniques.

Weekender:
    What can people expect at Tartar Lamb's live performance?

Driver:
    I think people should expect a fine-arts type of event. If someone's not interested in that, this isn't the show to come to.

2. xfer

xfer I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS

the kayo dot myspace page says that the 18th is state college, oregon. what?? should be pa i hope? because the 19th is nyc!

3. pixiesfan

pixiesfan Cadaveric

Yeah, it's PA.

I don't know why it says oregon. :p

It'll be probably a 4 - 5 hour drive for them depending when they leave.

Do you know if they are staying with you or planning or staying here that evening?

4. Ralph_Tweed

Ralph_Tweed Member

I wanna spend the night together/need you now more than ever/I've got a thing for you/and I don't know what I'm gunna do

5. xfer

xfer I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS

no idea--i imagine staying there and then driving all day the 19th