This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce Yourself - the n00b thread

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by metal_wrath, Jan 8, 2007.

1. musictrivianut

musictrivianut New Metal Member

Why not? My name is Wayne, 40 years old, living in the US (Maryland, near Baltimore). I've seen the band twice - 26 May 2008 on ProgNation with Dream Theater and 26 October 2008, headlining, in Washington DC. I basically got into the band after hearing about them over at Mike Portnoy's forum (drummer for DT, if you don't know). Took me a couple of tries to get passed the death metal vocals, but now, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Cheers.

2. Mr Samsara

Mr Samsara Misanthropic Moderator

Welcome to the fold... now go forth and spread the word. Oh, and come back to post often. :)

3. Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate Member

I'm Javier. I'm from California in the US. I've been a Opeth fan for around 2 or 3 years now and lurked on this forum for about that long until I started posting here and there. And if you want to see what I look like, I'm on here.... http://www.myspace.com/bound2fate

4. SouthernTrendkill101

SouthernTrendkill101 New Metal Member

I'm Andrew. I've been into Opeth for about six months. I'd heard about them since a couple of years ago, but always thought it was just one of those bands, you know? One of those famous mainstream acts :lol:

Until now I've pretty much studied Watershed and Damnation (musically, not lyrically) which turned out to be two of my all time favorite records.

I'm a guitarist (been playing for almost 8 years now). Their music just automatically changed my views on songwriting, sound quality, song structures and I've developed my acoustic guitar playing skills a lot since I started playing some of the songs.

There's a handful of other reasons I'd like to thank the band, but I'm gonna keep it short and leave it at this :cool:

5. JackLopezZavala

JackLopezZavala New Metal Member

Hi, I'm Alex. I got into Opeth not too long ago, and I've even warmed up to the growl vocals. I have a pretty diverse music taste, including everything from blues to death metal...My favorite bands are anything Jack White related, The Mars Volta, and Led Zeppelin, and Opeth are without a doubt my favorite metal band and if I can already say that after hearing only Watershed, I can't wait to see how much my opinion change when I hear the rest of their albums!

6. Space Butler

Space Butler Varg stabbed first

Hi, I'm Space Butler. I liek Opeth. My career, as you may have guessed, is a butler... from space. My primary duties include keeping Hyatt in her sarcophagus and keeping the puchuus in line, as well as generic butler duties. I come from a long line of space butlers; in fact I am number XIII. My hobbies include grooming my 'stache and listening to Opeth and being a troll.

Cheers, Space Butler

7. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Do want ring below :<

Hello forum, my name is Ola and I live in Hammerfest, Norway (Pretty far away from everything, although not as far as Space Butler). I started listening to Opeth about one and a half years ago, and I absolutely love it. Hoping for a new album in 2010 ;o

8. Frosties

Frosties Blind @ heart

If that's real, it's the most brutal name ever!

9. FuzzyDunlop

Uhm, I certainly hope it's real. It's not as brutal in Norwegian as in English though :erk:

10. Pieter

Pieter The Power Of The Riff...

Hello, my name is Pieter and been an appreciator of music in general and hard/heavy/rock/whatever music in specific sinds Kiss Alive II. My first concert was Accept/Def Leppard/Judas Priest in 1981.

I work as a buyer for http://www.fame.nl/

Favourite bands/musical ensembles are Led Zeppelin, Soundgarden, Black Crowes, Johnny Cash and Opeth.

Very nice to meet you all.

[​IMG]

11. choppeth

choppeth New Metal Member

I´m Paco from Espain

12. Stilgar

Stilgar Berzerker

It's very much real. I've been there a few times when I lived in the northern part of Sweden. It's pretty. Isn't it like the northernmost city in the world or something as well?

13. Space Butler

Space Butler Varg stabbed first

Hammerfest

I think this is where Dethklok played the Duncan Hines coffee jingle in the first episode of Metalocalypse. :headbang:

14. Tom_Vou

Tom_Vou coiled 'neath the tree

sorry to hear about your reindeer issues up there FuzzyDunlop :(

15. FuzzyDunlop

Yes, it is.

Hahaha, yes. A really nasty afair. :rolleyes: My mom gets pissed every time she sees a reindeer inside the fence (they eat her flowers). There's actually a number you can call when you see a reindeer inside the fence, and report it. When I think about it, it's absolutely hilarious.

16. ratatoeskr

ratatoeskr new to opeth

Hi everyone, I am Thomas from Germany. I got into opeth only this year after listening to Watershed (after reading a review that made me very curious).

I had Orchid back then (in 1997 or 1998) and didn't like it but now I am older and wiser and also their style has changed considerably. I saw them a few days ago live at the Summerbreeze Gig and enjoyed it (albeit the sound problems that lead to a great improvised section) very much. I would like to say hi to everyone here and to the band and thanks for the Watershed-Album which is already in my all-time-faves.

My faves are Heir Apparent and Burden btw. just so beautiful.

I will be at their Gig in Hamburg on october 2nd and hope to be in the first row :)

17. Kamel

Kamel Trollhunter

It's funny how I never introduced myself. I'm gonna take my chance now.

I'm Marsellus , from Chile. I'm an English Teacher and I play drums and sing, better the latter.

I'm fond of Poe, Lovecraft, Milton, Dickens and Asimov.

I have a 11-month-old daughter. Her name is Rafaela Victoria.

That's all I have to say.

Bye x now.

18. choppeth

choppeth New Metal Member

hi, marsellus, I also try to be an english teacher in Spain,
    and I play guitar quite badly but I´m improving a lot thanks to Mike,
    10 years, 5 stuck with metallica things and 5 I woke up with Petrucci
    tool and Opeth stuff... similar affinities with literature :)
    enhorabuena por tu hija.
    take care

19. soy_un_numero

soy_un_numero soy_un_numero

well i like the idea of the thread so
    my name is soy un numero (thats spanish for.. well find out for yourselves if u want) female, one of the rare opeth fans in Honduras, yeh a third world country which most of you havent even heard about yet and probably never will after me mentioning it.
    The addiction started by accident, but im so thankful for that holly accident. Ive never seen them live cause they will probably nevervisit anywhere near my country, but watching them live is one of the many things i have to do before i die.. im kind of new on the forum, ive only posted like 3 replies cause i mostly read and read, but today i felt like sharing.. thats itfor today =)

20. ratatoeskr

ratatoeskr new to opeth

I remember a song which went Jo soy un hombre sincero and I know what that means so I can translate your name but wont give it away ;)

I have heard of Honduras before, obviously, but you are right, the chances of seeing opeth there are quite small.. :(