This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jackson SLSMG

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Shadow_Island, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Shadow_Island

Shadow_Island Member

Does anyone know anything about the Jackson slsmg. i am looking to get a new guitar and want to stay with jackson. i play stuff like immortal, opeth, children of bodom, decapitated, sinergy so i want a good clean sound, a crunchy rhythm and good clean soloing. would you recommend this guitar and if not what would u recommend??

2. bobvex

bobvex Teh Forum Fuhrer

its a great guitar, Japan Made, Neck thru, String thru body, hard tail bridge, It's a good guitar, i've played one. go for it. Unless you want a whammy bar

3. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

i'm not sure about this year's model, but i tried one when it came out... i currently own a jackson SL-3 and SL-1 and by far prefer those, because the SLSMG seemed hollow in tone and i didn't like the neck feel. if anything, i recommend you play a ton of jacksons, if that's the brand you want to get. or get a store guy or a friend to recommend similar stuff

4. Loner

Loner In Despise

I've got one, it's a good guitar, but those damn HZ pickups suck. If you get one, drop a Duncan in the bridge instead.

5. Shadow_Island

Shadow_Island Member

alright....cheers

i dont think i could play without the whammy so ive decided to scrap the idea

6. fadingessence

fadingessence All is Lost

Did you have any problems getting the Duncan to work right? I replaced the bridge in my ESP/LTD with a JB and it's never been high enough output, compared to my Schecter with the same pickup. Something about HZ's using cheaper pots and screwing it up.

I've played an SLSMG, almost bought one actually but it was a bit over my budget at the time. Fast as hell neck but the action is at a bit of a strange angle, definitely try one first.

7. Loner

Loner In Despise

Well, the HZ's were wired in a very strange way, so you may have crossed a ground or something. The volume pot is kind of scratchy on mine, so it's possible that yours could be worse, rsulting in less output. I'd say just replace it and see.

8. Phantasmo99

Phantasmo99 New Metal Member

I bought an SLSMG not too long ago, beautiful guitar and really fast neck, i play decapitated, opeth, COB, my own stuff, etc on it all the time. The HZ pickups aren't too great really, kinda muddy sound, but I'll be replacing them with and 81/85 set here in a few days. They are VERY light too, maybe 6 pounds, lightest guitar i've ever played, besides a parker fly. Good guitar if you don't want to fuck around with a whammy though, though i kind of wish i had one now, haha.

9. Loner

Loner In Despise

The reason I bought mine was that it DIDN'T have a whammy and it's made of mahogany. The tone is 100x better for these reasons, especially since I put a JB in the bridge.

10. ubiquitos

ubiquitos Deadnight Warrior

sorry this is kind of off the topic here but i didnt feel like starting a new thread. anyways what do people think of the Jackson DXMG?

11. electricfuneral

electricfuneral XXX CORE XXX

My friend just bought one and he doesn't know much about guitars and he thinks it's the greatest guitar around. I think it's a nice guitar, but I really don't understand the $950 price tag, especially with those shitty EMG Hz's.
    If you want neck-thru with a thin neck, 24 frets, and a Floyd like you mentioned, try a Kramer Barretta (www.musicyo.com).

Haha I know I've mentioned Kramers like 4 times in my first 3 posts, I'm not advertising or anything, I have one and I think they're great guitars, especially for the money, and I just think they're soo overlooked. Ever since Gibson bought them out, people just automatically assume they suck (which was true for awhile), but they are awesome guitars.

12. USMC0341

USMC0341 Dead Cold Day

I just bought the Jackson SLSMG and an Ibanez Toneblaster 100w amp...I was a bot worried about the EMG HZ pickups, but this thing SCREAMS through this amp. I may still put active EMGs in it, but for now it's works great...money well spent.