This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jag Panzer for Powerfest 2007?

Discussion in 'Chicago Powerfest' started by Jasonic, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Looks like the band is working with a US promoter on a performance to be recorded for a live album.

Well, I bet it's safe to assume they aren't speaking of Milwaukee Metalfest.

Therefore, either Prog Power or Chicago Powerfest.

Considering they don't tour regularly anymore, I think Jag Panzer would be a fine addition to the fest
    (They aren't as "power" as previous participants were)

Thoughts?

2. Dolamite S. Biffle

Dolamite S. Biffle Biffliest Person Ever

They would be an excellent addition to Powerfest! Though I dont know if JP is bigg enough to headline Progpower.

3. H3ll_0n_Wh33ls

H3ll_0n_Wh33ls JC on Ecstasy

I heard an ugly rumor they are a <shutter> Christian Metal band...this true? I know a lot of people the really are into them, but until I'm sure they are not tainted, I tend to avoid them.

Yeah I'm closed minded -- But I have accepted it.

4. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

They are not overtly Christian. However, I'd suggest that instead of accepting being closed minded, you could accept that good music is good music, regardless of its theologic basis. Christian metal is no more or less silly than satanic bands. I mean, really, which one makes you giggle more - Gorgoroth or Believer?

Actually, this would be a good Powerfest experiment. Book a Christian band and a Satanic band, and see which one explodes first.

Ken

5. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

For those interested, check out the thread on the Jag Panzer board I started. Guitarist Mark Briody has replied, showing interest in the fest!!!!

6. H3ll_0n_Wh33ls

Not sure if I've ever heard of a Christian band that was "undererly" Christian. Don't take me wrong, those Satanist that perform chants and expect to sell their souls are equally as annoying--but at least they have a sense of humor...

True Story:

In high school, almost ten years ago I went on a fieldtrip to Canada. In Montreal, we visited a church that had the body of a "monk that could heal the ill". The church was packed with crutches along the wall. During the tour, we were inn the dead center of the church, when the guide said this is where the monk did his healing sessions. So, at that moment I kicked my leg up in the air and said "Jesus!&#8221; I proceeded to stand from my wheelchair. At that point, the whole church went silent. Then I said "Never mind" and fell on my face. For a split second I swear I just converted to old Jewish women...to this day, that is still the only place I have been kicked out of.

No humor for those cross lovers, beh anyway that is off topic. I listened to a JP cd today, and it was ok...not something I would buy. I'm coming regardless of if the Jesus freaks come, but if it brings more people to the show, I'm all for it...We still can have our sacrifice after the Saturday show though, right?

7. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

There's a whole spectrum, right? There are bands like Theocracy and Neal Morse (granted, not metal) who write what are essentially praise songs. Those can make me cringe sometimes, but in those two cases, the music is so damn good I get over it. These are the ones that I'd call overtly Christian.

Then there are bands who's members are Christian, and that ends up showing in the fact that their lyrics are just generally more uplifting or optimistic, but not in a proseletysing sort of way.

Then there are those bands whose music would never indicate their religious beliefs, but then they go and thank God (usually first in the list) in the liner notes.

Where do you draw the line in terms of what you'll listen to? That's all I was asking.

Funny story you had, BTW. If you haven't seen Borat yet, you should - you'll get a kick out of a scene in a southern pentecostal revival type of setting.

Ken

8. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Well, what do you cats think of the fact that TROUBLE at one point had a Jewish drummer (Barry Stern - RIP)?

Bottom line, METAL > RELIGION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Briody

Briody Member

I can answer this one!

As a band, we don't label ourselves pro- or anti- anything. We let each song stand on it's own merit, both lyrically and musically.

Our vocalist and lyricist, Harry, grew up in a deeply religous household. His lyrics in Jag Panzer cover a wide variety of topics. Occasionally (5% - 10% maybe?) he addresses religous issues in his lyrics.

10. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Yeah, I have been listening to Jag Panzer for about 5 years or so (ever since first discovering the band when they opened for Iced Earth on the HORROR SHOW tour). Anyhoo, I have heard most everything they have recorded and never once thought of the lyrics as specifically "religious"

For those not familiar, go out now and pick up either MECHANIZED WARFARE or THANE TO THE THRONE immediately!! :metal:

11. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

My favorite Jag Panzer song is Black, so The Fourth Judgement is necessary, too!

All I know is that Jag Panzer needs to get back to Chicago so we can hear them play more than three songs - as happened 3 years ago (10/08/03) when they were supposed to play with Helloween at the Vic, had traffic problems getting back to the venue or something, and only had time for 3 songs in their set. :(

Ken

12. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Ken - we can blame the Cubs for making it to the playoffs in 2003....

13. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Cobra Kai Never Dies

That excuse is good once a decade...maybe.:lol:

14. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

LOL! If we're LUCKY! :)

J-Dubya

15. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Very true.. Well, let's see if Soriano will have any impact.

16. Heavenly Call

Heavenly Call Member

I would LOVE to see Jag Panzer at this festival! I have seen them 6 times and every time I see them, I like them more! I can never hear "King At Any Price" enough!!!!!

17. H3ll_0n_Wh33ls

Hey,

I apologize to anyone I may have offended by my original post. As I've said, if they bring more people, I'm all for it!

Jasonic made me think about something...are there any Jewish metal bands? Or is William Shatner it?

18. H3ll_0n_Wh33ls

I apologize if anyone took any real offense to my original posting. Not that is actually a good source of info, more like a bitch board, but blabbermouth tends to say "Christian Metalers Jag Panzer" when mentioning them.

Jasonic did get me thinking, are there any Jewish metal bands out there? Or is William Shatner it?

19. GateXII

GateXII Soul Collector

Orpahned Land is from Israel, so I'm assuming they'd be considered that.

And a kick ass band at that!!!

20. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

:erk: Rob, I do get your point, but not ALL Israelis are Jews, just as not all Jews are Israeli..........

There are many Jewish brothers of the metal faith!
    - Scott Ian
    - Marty Friedman
    - Barry Stern (RIP)
    etc, etc, etc....