This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jazz

Discussion in 'To-Mera' started by King Chaos, Jan 8, 2007.

1. King Chaos

King Chaos Pomeo Osoponeor

So as we all know To-Mera are exclusively reintroducing jazz into/alongside metal... and not a jazz-metal hybrid like ephel duath or any of these other tech bands, but actual passages of smooth jazz.

So what Jazz do you guys listen to? Any Nu-Jazz recommendations? Any old school smooth jazz aswell, list 'em.

My favourite jazz album at the moment is probably Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue', because I've owned it for so long and I know the direction of all the improvisations really well. It's really grown on me. Herbie Hancock rules too. Chet Baker is like the neurosis of jazz, got some really moody tunes.

A new thing I've recently listened to is Bill Evans and Jim Hall's collaboration on an album called under current. It's just piano and guitar, got that awesome thick dry jazz tone though. It's cool ambient music aswell as good for analytical listening.

As for Nu-Jazz, there's this absolute dude who performs in the streets of leeds. The moment I heard it I was totally engrossed. His name is Gavin Randle and he plays improvised themes on sax and flute over some sort of electronic chill out bacling tracks. I bought his album for a tenner and it's amazing. the mix on his solos is beautiful. I think he adds loads of spatial reverb and it just sounds unbelievably epic.

2. Thonolan

Thonolan Member

I like jazz but basically listen to fusion bands / artists. I especially love Al Di Meola. In a more "pure" jazz approach I really like Chick Corea and Michel Camilo. Pat Metheny does have some great stuff as well. The album you mention "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis is a true classic, but it goes a little far from my taste, though I'm still able to appreciate it.

Of course I love all those old school metal bands (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence...) that introduced some jazz influences in the style.

3. King Chaos

King Chaos Pomeo Osoponeor

I've only ever heard Chick Corea's endeavors with MIDI... and other than the clearly awesome musicianship I was just pretty appauled and confused :p... I've been told by many people to check out his jazz too.

4. RedinTheSky

RedinTheSky Member

The Mahavishnu Orchestra : The Inner Mounting Flame = Good Fusion

Lately I've been listening to Hiromi Uehara which is very good jazz

5. RedinTheSky

RedinTheSky Member

Watchtower and Spiral Architect also have some jazz influences.
    Spastic Ink is Technical Metal with crazy time signatures which could be considered jazzy I guess http://www.ronjarzombek.com/178thing.mp3

6. Darkboy_JC

Darkboy_JC New Metal Member

COPROFAGO is definitely one of the best metal/jazz crossover since Cynic.
    Their latest CD "Unorthodox Creative Criteria" is in my heavy rotation pile right beside "To-Mera" and "Ram-Zet"

COPROFAGO

And, speaking of jazz, I really enjoy "Willem Breuker Kollektief" and "Peter Brotzmann's - Machine Gun". Free-jazz... CRAZY STUFF...

7. Choronzon

Choronzon Member

I mainly listen some mainstream mellow jazz stuff like Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Diana Krall, etc.

8. Sarkastus

Sarkastus use a chicken to..

Double D'oh!

Mahavishnu Orchestra alongside with John McLaughlin and Billy Cobham, splendid fusion as mentioned. Herbie also.

So if anyone's still interested

(Duke Ellington; roots)
    Thelonious Monk
    John Coltrane ov coz
    my fav Davis' On the Corner and Bitches Brew
    Erik Truffaz
    Peter Brotzmann
    Nels Cline/WallyShoup/Chris Corsano
    Jonas Hellborg
    Last Exit
    Tied & Tickled Trio
    The Thing
    Raoul Björkenheim
    Scorch Trio
    Bill Frisell
    Krakatau
    Cooper Moore

maybe hard to find, try myspace:
    Abstrakt Collision
    Troko
    Laser
    Skalle & Sharon
    Veljeni Valas
    Drums & Tuba

Anyway there's a few that have been on my playlist for times, but beware some of them are quite aggressive like Brotzmann, Last Exit and The Thing. :cool:

9. Black Rain

Black Rain Member

mahavishnu's great but the distorted guitar tone on that CD is knives to my ears :erk:

10. Mr. Nekrophetamine

Mr. Nekrophetamine Expendable Youth

Its funny that I grew up with jazz thanks to my mother, and its probably why I eventually ended up listening to metal in the first place. Always preferred instruments in my music over anything else.

All I've listened to recently has been Norah Jones but I could give some here a try. Jazz hybrids, especially in metal, are pretty enjoyable... but what To-Mera is doing is a step above awesome.

11. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

Holdsworth plays jazz right on "None Too Soon"

12. Travis

Travis Bassist

It amazes me that Charlie Parker hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.

13. Black Rain

Black Rain Member

reply to the first post : I wouldn't say To-mera plays smooth jazz, it's more technical jazz if anything. Smooth jazz is like elevator music

14. Grunty

Grunty New Metal Member

LOL @ "nu-jazz".

Check out Weather Report (fusion) and John Zorn (free, experimental) TBH.