This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JCA50h reamp

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by Rob Logic, May 24, 2013.

1. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

As the title states, Jet City JCA50h head. Song is from my old band off of a 5 song EP that I probably spent 200+ hours on and never finished :lol:

First opportunity I have had to reamp anything through this head since I purchased it about 8 months ago. Pretty happy with the results. Pictures of mic position, amp settings, and TS settings below. The cab is a horizontal 2X12 Mesa on it's side. I know, no baffle is risky but it's in a low traffic area in the room and in a corner.

Hi pass at 70hz and 6db/oct lo pass at 7000hz with a small band cut at 400hz (2 db I think). Master volume is pretty low so it probably could sound a little more open and beastly. I will set up the cab in a different room next time so it's not annoyingly loud to run through the song 4+ times.

No automation or anything really on the track and it could use it. Bass tuning is iffy in places but that's more performance than tuning the axe :Spin:

Oh yeah, guitar is an ESP MII with an EMG 85 in the bridge. DI used for guitar was a Radial J48 into a preamp on my Profire 2626. Bass is an Ibanez SR 505 recorded through a DI on the Profire (bass was rerecorded yesterday, guitars were years ago and i was just too lazy to get the J48 out of the closet). Used TSE x30 for grit on bass.

Anyway, comment if you have opinions or questions!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Rob Logic, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  2. CreptorStatus

CreptorStatus New Metal Member

Wow, i am impressed. The guitar tone sounds great! Is that an SM57?

3. TRUIE

TRUIE Member

Nice reamps !
    I own a JCA50H too, and I usually dial in way less mids and presence (around 2-3 each) and a bit more treble, but in your case it sounds good !
    Funny to see the bass dialed to max on the amp, I always do that too :lol:
    I also think it will sound a bit more open if you can push the master a bit more.
    Is your JCA50H running the stock tubes ?
    Can you post a raw guitar track ?

4. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

Yeah it's a sm57. I honestly started everything at noon and it was just lacking some beef so I dimed it out. All stock power and pre tubes. Once they get a few more miles on them, i will get creative on their replacements. I'm interested to know if the depth mod would help. Some people say it's more noticeable at lower volumes. This was probably the quietest I have recorded guitar tracks ever as well. Maybe it would have changed how i set up the mids, treb, and presence. I wouldn't really need any more low end but it'd be good to know there's more on tap if I used a different guitar.

I will try and upload a few bars of raw guitars Sunday when I have some more free time from work.

Thanks for the comments!

5. TRUIE

TRUIE Member

Thank you for the clarification.
    I don't know about the depth mod, mine is totally stock too, but I really think about a full tube replacement to make it sound even better !

Indeed, some raw guitars would be nice :headbang:

6. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

Single guitar panned center, double tracked guitar panned 100% L/R, Stereo guitars and bass, full mix. no EQ on guitar what so ever. It's a tiny bit bright without the lo-pass on it but I honestly think it's still totally usable. I usually throw the lo/hi pass on any guitar I record without thinking.

*edit - I didn't realize how shitty soundcloud made it sound. Maybe there's an option of making it higher quality or something when I upload it. Only used it a couple times before.

raw guitar mp3

raw guitar wav

7. TRUIE

TRUIE Member

Thanks a lot for the raw tracks, dude.
    You're right, it's a bit on the bright side but it fits well the mix.
    I'm really liking this head, and for its price it's a fucking no brainer !

EDIT : about soundcloud, as far as I know, you can only enable the download fonction for a track, but the stream version will always be shitty 128kbps mp3.

8. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

Definitely well worth the price paid.

9. EffigyForgotten

EffigyForgotten New Metal Member

If you feel its lacking bass, try a full JJ retube first.

10. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

Yeah. I'm interested in trying out KT66's when I throw new power tubes in.

11. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Sounds great man! I'm quite enjoying my JCA50 too, still hankering after a 5153 mini though to cover my more clean/crunchy tones.