This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jesu: Conquerer

Discussion in 'Your Reviews' started by speed, Feb 26, 2007.

1. speed

speed Member

Anyone listen to the new Jesu album? Opinions?

I've given it about three listens, and I have very mixed feelings. In my opinion it does not match the genius of the S/T and the single Silver. Essentially, Broderick has taken the songs of the S/T, and toned them down--toned them down quite a bit actually. I will say a few songs are quite excellent, but not in that mesmerizing way found in the S/T and Silver. I think its because the dark murky heaviness of the old albums has been lost. I get sort of a tepid melancholy from the album, rather than a strange trance-like ecstasy of the s/t. Still a worthwhile album, but one that will most likely collect dust apart from the occasional listen.

2. Death Aflame

Death Aflame voice of dissent

I agree that it's not as good as either the s/t or the Silver EP but I think it is still a worthwhile listen.

3. LuminousAether

LuminousAether My name is Distance

I haven't heard the s/t or the Silver EP but I think Conqueror is completely awesome. I like just about everything about it. One of the best shoegazer albums I've ever heard, if not the best.

4. speed

speed Member

Then you need to get a hold of Heartache, the s/t, and Silver, and you'll see why most people are disappointed.

5. Black Core

Black Core Sir MIMA & Leo Godfather

It was the first album I heard of em, I don't know.....

I don't think it's my kind of music

6. LuminousAether

Funnily enough I've seen most people being positively surprised. Most reviews I've seen call it the best thing Broadrick has done. I definitely want to get the other releases, but I doubt I'll like them more.

7. LuminousAether

Just got the selftitled and Silver, and I see speed's point even less. Silver is very similar to Conqueror, just with the vocals lower in the mix, more guitar distortion, and with the guitars higher in the mix. The same basic ideas are still in place. I would say Conqueror is the best I've heard yet, but I've only heard part of the first song on the s/t so far.

8. speed

speed Member

That was my point.

The album follows the same pattern as his previous ones, but essentially is not as heavy. He's toned it all down. And wheres the contrast in the new album? I loved the melody mixed with that dark depressive distortion and heaviness . Its gone. So, it really isnt too different, other than his singing is more in the forefront, and the distortion and guitars are toned down. So thats just my opinion.

9. Alter

Alter Banned

from what i have heard i am surprised i thought it would be more calim and toned down with a mixture of brief metal undertones....but still good

10. LuminousAether

After multiple listens to Silver and Conqueror, I definitely greatly prefer Conqueror.

11. speed

speed Member

Although clearly I prefer Silver, I wonder why it is you prefer Conquerer to his earlier work? I;m curious, as I respect your opinion, and think you have excellent taste.

12. Alter

Alter Banned

I was listioning to the new conquerer online and so far i like it better then the s/t. I like the pop undertones. I dont know i really like it so far.

13. LuminousAether

After all these years I think Silver is better than Conqueror. Sorry Speed. You were right all along.