This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Judas Priest Debut New Guitarrist on American Idol

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Dominick_7, May 26, 2011.

1. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

Sorry if this is a repost.

#1 Dominick_7, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

The new guy did a good job...They should have broken into Painkiller..LOL

3. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

Durban's leather-daddy hat was quite LOL-worthy.

4. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I wanna hear what the "true metal warriors" who love Priest and hate American Idol have to say.... I smell either a huge disappointment or a big change of heart...

5. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Worst singer of the night goes to Bono. Wow... he could not sing at all... though that song was terrible. I watched a few minutes at the end... and I didn't hear a single good singer. Beyonce.... lay off the vibrato a tad.. please?

6. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

I've never claimed to be a "true metal warrior" (lol!), but I still don't like American Idol. I just don't like watching singing competitions period, but having gone through the American Idol audition in my teens, I know what an enormous scam it is.

That being said, Priest being on the show was pretty awesome. I'd watch the show if they featured more artists I actually liked.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized how bitter I sounded.. lol I'm sorry, I don't think American Idol is a "scam". The audition process just soured me on the show, is all.

7. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I've never hated American Idol, it's just not something I would want to watch. Hell, I'd much rather people watch AI than some of the other reality shit out there like Jersey Shore or whatever.

As for Priest being on there, I have no issues with it. With all the mainstream attention they got with Durbin doing "You've Got Another Thing Coming" earlier in the season, I figured at some point they would show up on the show. Anyone who think they lost credibility with it is just stupid. As a band, why wouldn't you want that sort of attention? But it would depend on the artist I suppose. A band like Priest who, despite going under the mainstream radar, have a lot of catchy songs it isn't surprising. I mean, if a band like Candlemass did it, that would be fucked up.

I do have to say that when Alice Cooper did it last year, I don't think that was a good idea, despite me being a huge fan of his due to his image. Plus, he sort of sounded like crap when he was on. :lol:

As a sidenote: I actually didn't like Durbin's performance at all when he did "You've Got Another Thing Coming" earlier in the year. To me, it sounded like metal karaoke and nothing more. On this medley though, I have to say he did a really solid job.

8. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Halford sang without a teleprompter. Are we sure this actually happened?

9. Comic Book Dude

Comic Book Dude Rockin'

I can't bring myself to watch it....Priest is one of my all time faves (huge fan since around '85), and I don't mind Idol for what it is, but together.....??? It's a great PR move for Priest, but I'm just not thrilled about it. Oh well...I guess I can look at this as a new band, 'cos to me, Priest without K.K. is NOT Priest.

10. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

You know, I think with Halford the teleprompter thing was initially used as a guideline but it's sort of like when certain people write out a speech that they know by heart, they get obsessed with looking at it. I know people will say I'm bias on this, but I think for the most part, he knows all the words but he just seems glued to it due to it being there -- not necessarily with him actually needing it.

11. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

I agree with you. I'm happy to see metal get on prime-time, even if it's "family friendly"-Judas Priest. Right now, I'm betting a bunch of kids are googling Priest, and listening to Painkiller, and going.. "Wow. Yeah. $&%@ yeah."

And that's a beautiful thing.

12. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

I really don't enjoy any of these competition/reality programs. I cynically feel a lot (not all, but a lot) of it is planned/rigged/prompted/contrived. Watching it makes me feel like I'm being duped. For me, true reality programming is HGTV and the Weather Channel. "From the Edge With Peter Lik" - now that's quality entertainment. :p

Yea, I see nothing wrong with any band getting publicity by appearing on this show, or really any other. It's a tough business, every angle should be used. I think those that talk about selling out, staying true, yadda yadda are just naive.

13. Comic Book Dude

Comic Book Dude Rockin'

I don't know dude....the way he relied on it during the Angel of Retribution tour (at least when I saw them) was pretty bad. He was pretty much singing to his shoes during any of the newer tunes. He just looked old and feeble...it was kinda depressing.:erk:

14. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

Why? Because you didn't make it through the auditions?
    c.

15. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

Priest being on Idol = Okay/Cool

The contestant = fail. granted, this is when I'm hearing him do cover songs and not originals

I still hate Idol cause I just find the whole thing to be trash. I mean I don't mind it when my parents have it on and I'm making a meal.. its fun to have a better ear than the people in that audience (i'm just saying that specifically about this kind of show when its more of a popularity contest)

16. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

I was waiting for someone to say that.. but it still sounds a bit harsh!

No, it's not because I didn't make it through the auditions. It's because I went to the auditions and saw what they were; an enormous cattle call. The way they set up the auditions isn't "1st come 1st serve" in the way you'd expect. If that were the case, people would line up WEEKS in advance. What they do is, they make everyone wait on one side of the street until a certain time (5AM in my case), at which point, a few thousand people race to get in line. During this race, people get hurt, trampled, and step on broken glass left in the street. Only the first 500 people in line get auditioned, that's why they do it. And of those left, judges walk through the crowd and hand pick who they feel deserves an audition based on looks.

So unfortunately, that particular experience soured me on their show. I saw girls with bleeding feet, and people with bruises and thought, "This doesn't feel right.."

Now granted, that was just my experience, and I'm not saying the show doesn't introduce some very talented people. It's just not something I enjoy watching.

17. nailz

nailz Member

I love Priest and don't care for Idol. As cool as it is to see James and Rob do a duet like that, (And I think it's awesome to see the stars do that, it's got to be a huge thrill for the contestants) I really did not like James' voice at all. There's very little power, and it's not like either of those songs are incredibly dynamic. Yes, the kid has a great range control when he's going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH" but when he's singing? It's flat. Also from that video? He's got very little stage presence. If I was on stage singing with Priest, I would be going apeshit. He almost seems bored.

I still think American Idol is nothing more than "Karaoke on the worlds biggest stage."

18. nailz

nailz Member

You should do an AMA on reddit.

19. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

Ha! I think back when that audition happened, they didn't have the online auditions yet. Now that they have the video auditions, it's probably a lot better.

20. nailz

nailz Member

AMA is "ask me anything." it's for people to ask questions to other people who do interesting things or have unique experiences. If you actually got to do the auditions, it would probably make an interesting thread. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/ Have a look.