This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Judging a book....(part 2)

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by TribunalRecords, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Personally, I can't stand Disturbed.
    They are certainly environmentally friendly, because they recycle almost as much as Jon Schafer does. :)

Back to the point though, is Kamelot took on this new image AFTER already making a name for themselves, which I think is different than Wayne Static who turned off people with his lame hairdo from day one.

I don't think you can really compare an underground metal act to a mainstream metal act. I mean, with an Ozzfest band, there is TONS of promotion in mags / MTV / etc when they first burst on the scene.

For most underground metal bands, you might hear them before even knowing what they look like, until you purchase a CD. Of course, with a little research you see promo pics and what not.

And for those who think Kahn is a trailblazer, I offer you the original chameleon, the mother fuckin' TYRANT!!! :headbang:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I'm with you on this one. Have never understood the appeal of them. To me (and I know I'll get blasted for this considering all the Disturbed love here) I find most of their songs to be redundant and sound just like the next one.

3. zedowns

zedowns Member

Oh, God yes.

4. SKguitarist

SKguitarist Member

Agreed.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

They are kinda the modern metal version of AC/DC: you pretty much know what you are going to get from album to album. But it is quality stuff, so the fanbase keeps coming back. Personally, I like them.

Man, I don't see enough of Jag Panzer. Unfortunately, the last time they were in town they were the first band up and halfway through their set by the time I got into the venue.

6. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

While I can appreciate a non-fan seeing it this way, here are two things to consider.

1. Their sound is distinct. Anyone who sounds like them, is said to be ripping off Disturbed, not the other way around. Unfortunately, the one downfall of having a distinctive, original sound, is all your material has that distinctive sound. Consequently, it has a sense of sameness, especially to non-fans who don't spend enough time with the music to hear the nuances.

2. Disturbed's has been evolving their sound quite nicely since the beginning. I'd actually go so far as to say, Disturbed changes things up more, album to album, than most of the bands we discuss around here. Unfortunately, this newest disc is the first disc where no such progression took place. It's a definite step sideways.

7. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I actually do to. I always thought it gave the songs a bizarre edge to them.