This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Katatonia - Dead Letters streaming

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Icony, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Icony

Icony Member

New Katatonia!
    I'm liking it. Little has changed and it sounds like, well...Katatonia.

#1 Icony, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Plankis

Plankis Member

This sounds awesome!
    So stoked over this album. I think Night is the new day is a masterpiece with not one single bad song in it so they do have some big shoes to fill.

3. Icony

Icony Member

Actually The Great Cold Distance is a masterpiece of is own too. I like it more than Night is the New Day but NitND is really good album too!
    Great music indeed. I'm stoked too!

4. Plendakor

Plendakor Member

Really dig that band

5. Icony

Icony Member

Quite Tool'ish intro I may add.

6. mva801

mva801 Member

^^ Exact same thought I had. Love this band and I'm pretty pumped for this to come out...

Man it's a good summer. New Gojira, Old Man Gloom, and Katatonia. Probably a bunch of other cool stuff I don't even know about...

7. CubanDude

CubanDude not really cuban

aweeesome!

8. Widekmusic

Widekmusic Member

Yeah, intro riff sounds definitely like Tool influence :) Katatonia never disappoints me, cant wait for the fulll album !

9. jipchen

jipchen ForesterStudio

Love it. Immediately pre-ordered :D Man I'd like the Premium Edition with 2 LPs, CD, 5.1 CD and 2 bonus tracks... but I can't play vinyl or 5.1, I only want the freakin bonus songs :lol:

10. ::XeS::

::XeS:: Member

Awesome song

11. LydonB

LydonB Member

I am really excited for this album too. Liking the tune as well. I've got high hopes for this one!

12. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

You can d/l the track here completely legitimately.

13. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

This.

The new song didn't immediately take me as much as that album, but Katatonia's music always takes time to digest. No doubt I'll love the album after a year or so with it.

14. Deadstar

Deadstar Member

i love it! the very last vocal part is also reminding me opeth. Great job with the synths and the breakdown is amazing!

15. Harry Hughes

Harry Hughes   ‬‬

My favorite album release of 2009 for sure.
    After hearing this new track, I think Katatonia may just be able to keep up with that.
    Their song writing is just truly in a class of its own, not many bands have them beat in that aspect IMO

16. xplanet2112

xplanet2112 Member

I think this one will be a real grower and could be their best yet! The sample song, however brilliant, did make me think that they were treading water somewhat but having listened to the album a lot, I think I am going to like it more than NITND.

17. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

"The Racing Heart" is a masterpiece, I just can't get enough of this song, my counter says I have listened to this one more than 40 times already. Its outro is as wonderful as "Idle Blood"s one. Such a simple yet incredible song.

This album is growing on me, it doesn't have so many memorable songs that will become big classic songs imo (The Parting, The Racing Heart, Undo You, and Dead Letters are the top4 for me though) but I find the overall delicateness of the songwriting very classy on the other hands. With a few catchier songs it would be a classic album, but I think that's not their signature anyway. They are all about chill verses and smooth orchestration, even their choruses are smooth in a way imo, and it's all about letting the album flow from the first song to the last one.

I love the balance as well, in the same vein as the previous album. I love the drums and guitar sound. Love the electric piano and orchestration, very subtle yet important in the overall sound of the album, and again the vocal work is impressive, so smooth.

My favourite album since a year or two ago, I think

18. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

What a brilliant album. I can listen to it any time, I particularly love it to sleep. I think it's my favourite one now, maybe not as surprising as the others, but there is something about it I just love.

Any info on the production ? I love the guitar sound, and the drums are quite different from the previous ones but I dig them

19. Jind

Jind Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)

I just finally picked up Dead End Kings this past week as well. Like LeSedna referenced it's a album that seems great to listen to at restful times. I've also found it to be great for long nighttime drives. I had to go pickup my wife from the airport during the snowstorm this past Wednesday (at 10:30 pm) and used that 1+ hour trip to listen through the album front to back for the first time. Something about the environment really worked to enhance that listening experience - the combination of extremely empty roads, limited visibility (it was snowing like a mother up here in NE CT at the time), the lack of road noise as the ground was snow covered; it all just worked to really bring the mood home.

I'm not yet to the point of favorite tracks as I've mostly just been listening without looking over track names, but I'm liking what I'm hearing what a bit. I think Katatonia have settled on a formula they do well, it's immediately recognizable as their music - no questions about it. While it may not be metal enough for many, it's also not as overtly trying to be proggy as say Opeth's latest release (don't get me wrong - I like Heritage quit a bit and have no issue with Opeth settling on this style as a direction), yet still has a ethereal component to it.

As for the production - it's great sounding, has great layering with everything sitting perfectly in the mix. I've found it enjoyable at both soft and quite loud levels.

20. CubanDude

CubanDude not really cuban

The racing heart is my favorite track of that album at the moment... But that changes from time to time, especially because there is no filler on this album, all songs are really great.