This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Keeping up with the scene

Discussion in 'Australia Metal Scene' started by YaYo, Dec 13, 2003.

1. YaYo

YaYo whendaydescends.com

... is too hard :/

We've got some great bands in Australia, but it's hard to find a lot of them. I feel like i still could be missing out on potentially my favourite Australian bands, simply because i don't know where to look for them. Ah well. I'll find them all one day, I guess once my band starts gigging outside of Tasmania.

What are the best sites for info on australian metal bands? I know of a few, but most seem to either have only the bigger names, or just group anyone and everyone together so its impossible to know who to check out. Would be nice to have a big list of australian bands, with the ability to rate them and see what other people have rated them like. Would be useful to see both how many people vote for a band (ie how well known they are) and what of the upcoming bands are worth checking out, along with some good descriptions and links to mp3s this would be great. Is there anything like this?

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Goreripper has a pretty damn good band listing on his site.... haven't got the addy at the moment but just find another thread in here that he has posted in

3. Jo

Jo Member

4. mattt

mattt Yes.

5. YaYo

YaYo whendaydescends.com

Goreripper's is the one i come across most frequently, but it's still not too useful. It's just a list of lots of bands, no indication of which ones i should click on, or what style they are or how good they are. It's more like a site to use if you've already heard of a band and want a little bit of info.

6. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Hmmm... I think I understand what you're after there YaYo, and I don't think there's anything like that available anywhere for any type of music. It's a nice idea though. I think you're suggesting some kind of interactive site where people post links to bands and their music and offer a user-rating system, right? That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'm not savvy enough to build something like that, though. Maybe someone else here could look into it? Be happy to help.

Oh yeah, I should add you to my site, shouldn't I?

7. YaYo

YaYo whendaydescends.com

Well yeh, all it needs is basically a site like yours, add user ratings, maybe even add user comments/reviews (though then you have to think about spam and abuse), and then add the ability to search by genre, location, rating, number of releases, year formed, 'similar to', date added to the site, etc etc... Would probably need to be based on a database rather than static pages like yours currently is (i assume :p).

And no offence, but a slightly better site design would probably help too. If information about each band was structured a bit more with clear headings it'd be cool.

And black! what kind of a metal site isnt black?? :p

Your site is really good, could just benefit and become extremely useful from some extra features.

Possibly ;) That's just a recording project though, and I dont really have anything released yet (though it's well under way). More than that my band Unthroned should probably be added, we seem to be too busy focussing on getting the actual music done than getting a website done or similar though.

8. SBG

SBG New Metal Member

9. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

There's some great ideas there. I'd love to do a lot more with the site. I'm thinking of getting my own webspace instead of Geoshitties but the way the site is at the moment it's not worth it. I'd really like to do a database type site like http://www.librariusmetallicus.com but I don't know how. If someone would build the software for me and not expect to get paid a whole lot, I'd do it. I'd even do the user ratings thing but it would be moderated heavily so fuckwits didn't abuse it. Anyone wanna volunteer their services? I would be prepared to pay something, but it wouldn't be much, so I can understand if no one puts up their hand.

10. Unklekronoz

Unklekronoz Member

Alchemist - Australias N0.1 Metal band
    Pod People - Doomy stoner death
    LOG - Tractor Core
    Astriaal - Black Metal
    Psychrist - Death/Black Metal(split)
    Fuck Im Dead - Drum machine grind
    Captain Cleanoff - grind/fastcore
    Psycroptic - technical death
    Damaged - Hatecore
    Devolved - ?
    Destroyer 666 - Death/Thrash war metal
    Dungeon - Ballsy Power metal
    The Day everything became nothing - gore grind
    Hobbs ANgel of death - thrash/death

All these Aussie bands are worthing checking out and are IMO some of Australia's best .

These bands have split but were great as well

Armoured ANgel
    Addictive
    Mortal Sin
    Cruciform
    dISEMBOWELMENT
    Necrotomy
    Christ Bait

11. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Psychrist have split then? :cry:

Oh yeah, go the d! I've heard there might be a re-release of "Transcendence" sometime soon.

12. mattt

mattt Yes.

yep Psychrist are no more