This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kick beater miking

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Heabow, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

Hi

Did some already used this technique for a metal production? I want to try it for next drum recording and see how it sounds but every advices are welcome. Will probably start with an MD421.

2. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

I tried, with some other dynamic. Didn´t like it, got lots of snare bleed with a strange hammer-on-wood sound. However, you might get that extra "special" flavor a production needs. Doesn´t sound anything like your usual kick drum though

3. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

Yeah, I don't expect an amazing result but it could be a cool addition to an usual kick miking (e901 + e602 in my case). I will place a mic on the snare side too, I heard great stuff about this but never really tried myself.

4. wishtheend

wishtheend clip the apex

I could see it having a bit of bleed but might be cool for something really dynamic. I'd also maybe just get another mic in the kick and get right up on the head/beater if I want something super clicky. Maybe a 3 mic, close, mid, out/sub blend could be cool.

5. nezvers

nezvers Beast

I'd use something with smaller cardioid range or something with figure 8 to null out snare.

6. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I haven't tried beater side in a long time but using something absurdly bright and tight (like a beta87) might yield some cool stuff when blended.