This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Listening to music that directly defies Christianity

Discussion in 'Theocracy' started by Rawshik, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Rawshik

Rawshik Member

I know there's many Christians so I thought it'd be a good place to ask. What do you guys think about listening to music that directly says God doesn't exist or hail Satan, etc? If it doesn't affect your mind when you hear it, is it bad? It's obviously not good, but is it necessarily bad? I mean, we hear stuff like this in every day conversation anyways.

2. guitr4God

guitr4God Member

Honestly, I don't think its a good idea to put that music on your iPod, or buy the cd's or anything like that so you can listen to it frequently. But (and I do do this) i think if you're just listening on, say, the radio where you only here it now and then, as long as its not affecting you in any way you can feel, its ok. And, this is just my opinion, so take it for what its worth, nothing more :)

3. M@RS

M@RS Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

I don't. Honestly, it's not just the lyrics that I listen for, there can often be a spirit behind the music. Yngwie Malmsteen is a perfect example. I can't even listen to his instrumentals without "feeling" something dark coming in. So I don't even listen to his instrumentals anymore.

4. FleshAndBloodTheocracy

FleshAndBloodTheocracy Living Apple

The songs like that actually piss me off, so I tend to not listen to them.

5. Aletheus

Aletheus Member

umm...
    Yeah. I can LIKE something, but I don't have to like it :p

6. SeaStorm

SeaStorm Member

I break it into two different camps:

1. Music that is specifically anti-Christian. I don't go anywhere near it. Even when I was an atheist metalhead teenager, I still didn't enjoy that stuff. Since converting, I'm more militant about it.

2. Music that revels in sin, but is not specifically anti-Christian. I try to limit it. If I cut it out all together, I'd miss out on some great music :erk: Some of those were songs I loved before I converted, so I will still listen to them for nostalgia's sake, but I might listen to them 99% less than I used to. Perfect example for me is Get The **** Out by Skid Row. That used to be one of my favorite songs. Now I might listen to it a few times a year and that's it. I definitely can't revel in it like I used to in my heathen days.

7. Arnock

Arnock Member

pretty much sums it up for me

8. joy.r

joy.r Member

I don't think that listening to this music is a good idea. If you know about that and despite of that you listen to it, it affects your mind even if you don't realize it.

If you don't know that the lyrics are bad, it probably doesn't affect you a lot.

I used to listen to lot of secular stuff and I didn't understand the lyrics. Some of the lyrics could be bad. I didn't think there might be non-secular rock or metal music. I realized it about a year ago and I was surprised at how much bands and stuff there are.

So, I ask myself: If there is so much unexplored good stuff, why explore other (maybe good, maybe bad) stuff?

Concerning the past, I'm close to the SeaStorm's approach. The old secular music makes about 1% of my tracklist. And it mustn't have bad message.

9. Ryan M.

Ryan M. Theocratic Fanatic

I'd steer clear of that stuff (Say... Dimmu Borgir etc.) Because they directly defy God and praise Satan. I listened to Dimmu like once and after that... haha... well... I didn't listen to them again.

As to the songs that have "immoral messages" well I'd say cut then down to a bare minimum. Haha! If you like a song with a couple words in it that's fine as long as it's not a conviction of yours or it's causing you to sin. A song with a sexually immoral message can effect people but if it is generally mild and not invading your soul you can listen to the song if you want. BUT I prolly wouldn't make this kind of music my... ummm... "musical food" shall I say. Wouldn't want it to be a regular part of what my soul digests every day. It's the occasional junk food.

Now I might add here that it's NOT good to shrug stuff off as I've done it before. Always look deeper into what your true motives REALLY are. If the motives are good... then you are good to go.

Hope I helped...

10. Aletheus

Aletheus Member

Also, what about pagan bands such as Equilibrium, Wintersun, Ensiferum and most notably Moonsorrow whose members (or just lyricist) center their lives on pagan rituals... I mean praising nature, and being true to your surroundings, some of those teachings through analysis may or may not be close to Christian teachings, yet it isn't evil in any way. It's just a different way of life.

Would you dismiss a band which had lyrics that tell tales of a Hindu lifestyle for instance?

What about Amaseffer and Orphaned Land? Those two bands deal with religion, but to be more precise they're closer to Judaism than Christianity, and we all know how Hebrews feel about Christ.

11. CaMacKid

CaMacKid New Metal Member

I think it's up to yourself. If the lyrics/meaning behind the song bothers you, then you won't listen to it anyway. There are some songs I barely listen to because of the lyrics. However if you're a musician or play an instrument the lyrics/meaning probably won't be much of a concern because you're listening to it for the drums or guitar or the vocal talent.

12. Martyr's Crown

Martyr's Crown Christarchist

Personally, I only reject a band if they regularly have directly anti-Jesus or pro-Satan lyrics. For example, I used to listen to Slayer and Mercyful Fate regularly, until I wised up. On the other hand, if a band just has one or two songs that seem like that (like Iron Maiden's "Starblind", or Metallica's "The God That Failed"), I don't neccessarily stop unless it's really intense. I also listen to several bands (like Stormlord, Disturbed, or Angra) that have lyrics that seem to be more about rejecting religious hatred and persecution. They may take the point of view that religion (usually Christianity) should just be avoided, but that's a different viewpoint, and is more condemning the people that do it rather than the beliefs itself.

On the subject of pagan or nonChristian religious lyrics... Personally, I don't really have a problem with them, as long as they're not insulting. This goes both ways, though - I once decided not to listen to a Christian band (don't remember who it was) because they had a song that seemed to really be putting down a specific other religion. Avoid hypocrisy, you know.

13. Rawshik

Rawshik Member

Lots of good replies here! I believe that it's okay to listen to as long as it doesn't bother you. I recently deleted a Bad Religion album (Process of Belief) because some of the lyrics were too directly against God. But Bad Religion has other albums that seem perfectly fine (Suffer and No Control.)

So I pretty much agree with Martyr's Crown.

14. Killerah

Killerah Member

Yeah, I draw the line at anything that is overtly Satanic for the mere fact that I find it offensive (and the same goes for anti-christian songs or ones that mock my belief system). I can appreciate music from people of all religious and philosophical backgrounds, but if you're going to go out of your way to offend me and my God, then why would I waste my time and money listening to your music?

That said, I don't mind listening to artists who are genuinely probing with honest questions about faith/religion/etc, and I don't advocate a position of complete withdrawl from all arenas of secular music (in fact, most music I listen to these days is secular). For example, I love the album "Curse Your Branches" by David Bazan which is an entire album of songs dealing with serious doubts and really hard questions that the guy has about Christianity. That kind of album (though it has moments of sarcasm) doesn't offend me. But an album that outright mocks me at every opportunity, why would i give that artist the time of day? I'm sure they're very talented and I'm sure lots of people like them, but I'll choose not to listen to them. I think Rawshik's Bad Religion example goes right in line with the way I pick who I listen to.

Also, regarding swearing and the like (or not saying Jesus on every track) that doesn't really bother me. I will continue to not allow foul language into my vocabulary, and honestly when I have kids I probably wouldn't want them listening to some of the music that I listen to. But cussing in an album bothers me about as much as cussing in a movie, it's the way people talk and express themselves, and I don't feel the need to censor what people want to say because I decided a certain four letter word is unacceptable for me to use (after all, cussing is culturally defined and the Bible does not have an index in the back of all the words a Christian shouldn't use. It does just give the basic principle of "be edifying" which I try to adhere to.).

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts about secular music.

15. guitr4God

guitr4God Member

I totally agree with this...like my bother always says: "who decided that's a swear word anyway?";)

16. JayArby

JayArby Member

but still, guitr4God, you have to be careful not to say things that insult other people.

17. guitr4God

guitr4God Member

oh, did i say something?

18. JayArby

JayArby Member

sorry...you misunderstood me. i meant, even if you aren't offended by a "swear word", other people are, so it is a good idea not to use them. just throwing that out there.

19. SeaStorm

SeaStorm Member

Well said, Killerah.

I like your point about music that's "genuinely probing with honest questions about faith/religion/etc". Melancholy (Holy Martyr) by Iced Earth is one of my favorite songs and it fits right into that. A Christian could read those lyrics and denounce it as heretical. I see it as an incredibly powerful "what if" song asking the question "what if Jesus was just a man and not divine" (or maybe it's "what if he was divine but had massive doubts")? Of course, I don't believe it, but it's an amazing way to ask that question.

20. Martyr's Crown

Martyr's Crown Christarchist

Kind of off topic, but...

You know, I wish it wasn't so hard to find good black metal bands that aren't anti-Christian. (Aside from "unblack", since most of that is unoriginal and dull.) The only one I've found and enjoy is Stormlord (I really like symphonic black metal), and even with them it can be kind of borderline. I've been looking into viking metal, but that often crosses the line as well. Any suggestions?