This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LORD - The Espy, Melbourne - December 12th 2009

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Aussie_Metalchild, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

+1. I quite enjoyed the two back to back!

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Dude so long as your magic hands were working nobody would care!

3. SMiM

SMiM www.metalobsession.net

4. Wild Child

Wild Child Member

Having left my camera behind, at the last minute (I put it in the wrong bag without realising), I am super pissed off at not having any photos to share.

Ah yes, that did more than wake us up when you hit that pedal, LT. We just about went through the roof. Gave me the giggles though.

I think, for the few little problems, the show was awesome. Pity about the transport situation - with none of us having enough cash left for a cab, we had to get the last tram back to town (and we were staying out the other side of Melbourne) so a bit of a bummer we couldn't stay back for a drink with you guys this time, Red and I were pretty disappointed about that. God, I think we were home by around 2:30 or so. Lame.

Loved some of the fun touches though - Santa Claus giving out CD's, the Santa hats etc.

Oh, and Damo - sorry to have confused you, I saw that blank worried look on your face when I said "good to have seen you guys again" at the merch stand, and you clearly had no freaking clue who I was. I lol'd. I only met you once before at ATG5 (and I was maggoted) so I don't really expect you to remember.

And btw, LT, for future ticket-drawing purposes - "red" means "Red", not the colour red!!!! :erk:

To the fuckwits behind us: If you really must attempt a circle pit or pretend to be a violent epileptic, why don't you go to a hardcore gig or something? Glad you came along to enjoy the show, but don't be dicks while you're there. Learn how to handle your piss, too.

5. Moshy

Moshy Member

Phewwww, pretty sure I wasn't involved in any 'circle pits' or violent epileptic behaviour. At the end of the day, it's still a Metal gig & sometimes at Metal gigs there's moshing :rolleyes: If you don't like it, then step back a few metres as I normally would.

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

You'd be surprised at how many people call out stuff when you're on stage like that, and you can barely see anything up there, so I just assumed it was someone going "huurrr hurrrr I have a red tikket heeee".

Sorry about that! Next raffle, use the safety word "banana". ;) HAHA!

7. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

BANANA! BANANA! BANANA!

Yeah, my ticket was at the merch table, where I had been helping out earlier.
    So Louise stayed at the stage to tell you I was getting it.
    I still have the lovely purple C5 ticket in my purse..............................

I had a total C*#t of a weekend.
    But it was great to rock out to Lord again!!!

8. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

We were already a few metres out of their way...................
    We're at the front of live gigs every weekend, don't mind getting knocked around a bit, got the scars to prove it. But when they start pushing each other in a 10 metre radius, around people who are quite happy whirling and headbanging, and are knocking people to the ground on purpose, thats a whole other story.
    They can go see Parkway Drive and Fall Out Boy, and do that shit there.

9. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

People like that deserve to be punched repeatedly.

Sounds like it was a good night anyway. Next time try to avoid it coinciding with my leaving the country!

10. Moshy

Moshy Member

If they were intentionally going out of their way to knock unwilling participants down, then that is not cool!!! You guys clearly had a different experience to myself & a mate. We were up the front & to the right of the stage & I can honestly say I didn't encounter what you described, nor did my friend after consulting him on the matter.

11. Ginga Ninja

Ginga Ninja New Metal Member

Awesome Gig!!!

Gotta agree with Moshy though, I didn't see much in the way of violent epileptics from my vantage point. I know the kind you are talking about though. They can be a right pain in the arse.

12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

Yeah I was standing a bit further back to the side, with a good view of the whole front area, and I didn't see anything that I'd call too rough. There were a couple of guys having some fun bumping into each other, but it really wasn't that bad for a metal gig. The only thing I can imagine you're talking about is when a couple of the guys fell back further into the people behind them, but they got up and moved back to their spots straight away.

13. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Nah, this was three guys, and they took two people to the ground with them.
    Then one of them pushed another flying into someone else, knocking them to the ground too. Which I was able to grab my friend and pull her and myself, just out of the way.

I have no problem with a bit of pushing and shoving, but not when it takes other people to the ground.
    People who are just there to enjoy the live performance, and not be distracted by having to constantly watch what others are doing around them.
    I'm used to having a bunch of idiots, going hell for leather in a group, in the middle of the mosh, thats cool. They're having a blast.
    But its not cool, when they are shoving each other for metres, in every direction, taking out people who are there to see a great show.
    Especially when you have purposely placed yourself off to the side, so that you are not in the middle where they usually do all that.

14. zac905@hotmail.com

zac905@hotmail.com Triton Metal

yeah, I have to agree to a certain point their, I was at the front as well and was put off a bit by some of the drunk moshing man sex, but only because it wasn't within context of the performance, most of the songs played that night had very melodic "Sing-a-Long" chorus's and I feel that's where most of the energy is channeled, everyone chanting and having a good time singing along. That and standing in horror of the ear raping guitar solos that make you want to give up playing all together:erk:, But that's just me, otherwise kick-ass night with kick-ass support acts as well, really best night I've had all year!

Oh by the way I made a promise for that night, the first person to come up and talk to me I'd shout them and their followers a free round. Well I didn't quite keep that promise but if the three fine gentlemen from Ballarat who came down for the night and they know who they are, are in town give us a shout, and I'll make those magical Ales appear!!

15. Moshy

Moshy Member

Hey S.R., next time you'll have to hang around with us, as said knob jockeys stayed clear of our area .......might have something to do with being 6'2", 100kgs & of skinhead appearence :heh::erk::lol:

16. Sargeant Squidlips

Sargeant Squidlips Handsome Devil

atta boy, make good use of that frame:headbang::kickass:

17. zac905@hotmail.com

Hello everyone, I have been doing some thinking, now I've been to 2 Lord shows this year and they've both been at the Espy, don't get me wrong the sound problems with the first show were a tad bit off putting, though you guys did redeem yourselves with one hell of a kick arse show with your last performance. However I feel as though the sound at the espy and not just for Lord, for all the other bands was kind of shit, and I'm not talking about the occasional exploding amp or peaking mic I'm talking about the overall sound. it's really cloudy and I know coming from someone who listens to metal its just a bit...too loud. Don't get me wrong I'm down with the antlers and the over all theme of that back room, but seriously for Lord I really do expect soo much more with the sound and I'd like to know other peoples opinion's on this as well.

18. Balthasar

Balthasar Member

I haven't been to the Espy, but I doubt it is as bad as the sound at Fowlers. Having only seen them Lord in south Australia, the only other venue ive seen them at was enigma, which I thought sounded really good.

19. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

The volume and cloudiness go hand in hand at the Espy. When that system is run so loud it over powers the amps/ speakers which causes the cloudiness.

I never go to a metal gig without "musicians" ear plugs. It helps alot. $20 well spent IMO.

20. zac905@hotmail.com

Yeah, I actually did bring my ear plugs along, but only had them in for some of the songs. to add the guitar duel between Mark and LT, as exciting and entertaining as it is, from the auidiance's perspective they can achieve that much better if every time one of them started soloing you can define a little more what their doing rather than having your socks blown off through your ears. In addition it doesn't help when you've got speakers running along the walls all the way to the back of the room making it hard to shift positions to adjust to the sound in the room. Anyway I think I'm getting a little off track, this isn't meant to be too much about Lord, seeing is all the other bands were the same, I really enjoyed their music, just the sound could be soo much better. and I'd just like to ask Lord, would you ever considering changing venues for future performances in Melbourne?