This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Loss of Hearing

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Impudent, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Impudent

Impudent I Turned Into a Martian

Am I the only person that worries about losing their hearing? As a music lover, I want to be able to enjoy music throughout my whole life. Does anyone take any steps to protect their hearing (when in noisy areas, listening to loud music, at concerts, etc.)? I often consider starting to wear earplugs to shows, but I never do and end up with ringing ears and a constant worry that I have permanently damaged my ears and, somewhere down the road, will regret not protecting my ears.

2. Sinister Mephisto

I have musiscians earplugs and they're really great. Exspensive but the sound sound is almost exactly the same as when I don't have them in, except quiter. They're really great and I reccomend them because you probalby WILL get hearing loss. Some people don't, but they're actually the lucky ones. If you don't feel like geting molds made and everything for really nice earplugs, try these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx They're almost as good and very comfertable. :)

3. Nico

Nico Onward!

I've been meaning to wear earplugs to the last few shows I've been to, but I keep forgetting at the last minute. This usually results in pretty severe loss of hearing and ringing for a few days. That can't be good.

4. Chris Oquist

Chris Oquist New Metal Member

Sinister is right. I'm a drummer, and played without earplugs for a number of years. I hate rehearsing and playing shows with foam earplugs or industrial-type earmuffs because all you hear is muddy, muddy low end.

Musician's Earplugs are excellent, and the hundred or hundred and fifty bucks I spent on them have been one of the best investments I've made. It cuts volume flatter across frequencies than any other type of earplug, so what you hear is almost exactly what you would hear without earplugs, just quieter. Cymbals are crisp, the bass is not overpowering, and you can make out all the details. You have to go in for an ear exam and to get molds made, and that's it.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, but they really are awesome. Look into them, you won't regret it.

Chris

5. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Just don't stand right next to the stage at shows. Standing in the middle/back of the venue usually results in not having ringing the next day.

I worry about the earpieces for my Ipod though. I keep them at about 5%, but still, that noise is directly into your eardrum. I had nice headphones, but headphones break a lot.

6. Lyle

Lyle <3 azudai <3

that's because you have permanently damaged your ears and you will regret not protecting your hearing :cool:

7. Nico

Nico Onward!

Personally, I'd rather lean over the rail/onto the stage and bang my fucking head, if you don't mind.

8. MasterOLightning

Well, you can't have it both ways.

9. swizzlenuts

swizzlenuts i'm sciencing as fast as i can

I like standing and watching, not behind talk skinny kids that bang their head and whip their smelly long hair in my face.

Middle is nice, but I was dumb and stood in the front for kreator and cephalic carnage. I felt like I was in an organe after the show.

10. Enemy242

Enemy242 Member

i have special headphones for my cd player which are supposed to be good for your ears and not give hearing loss like the normal ipod headphones but at shows i don't wear earplugs anymore because they always fall out while headbanging. I do worry sometimes about loss of hearing but not that much but i'm thinking of getting better earplugs sometime soon so that I don't have hearing problems later.

11. ResistExistence

That's usually what I do at shows. I also tend to enjoy the music better when I'm not being pushed into the rail at the front by the pit and what-not. It sounds just as good anywhere else in the venue (since most of the venues are relatively small).

12. anonymouswierdo

anonymouswierdo Pitiful Newbie

I've got tinnitus of the ringing sort. I'm not exactly sure how long I've had it, but I've been aware for a few years.

I think its probably from being too close to a chainsaw or something without ear protection.

13. Saparmurat_Niyazov

I'm quite lucky. I've worked in industrial environments my entire adult life (80 db+), listen to music loud on headphones, and don't wear earplugs at shows or when playing music. My hearing is still in good shape, though the last time I got it checked, I was very slightly deficient in the high frequencies in my left ear. My biggest hearing problem is one that is mental - selective hearing.

14. Carcassian

Carcassian Utopian Blaster

Motorhead, in the mid 90's effectively reduced my hearing in my right ear by about 25%.

I don't need to wear ear plugs now, I just point the right side of my head towards the speakers!

Seriously, these days, being a (very) old campaigner, I tend to stand in the middle of the crowd rather than right at the front these days, which always works well unless it's Motorhead I'm watching!

15. Ellestin

Ellestin one-click buy

Why not reducing the volume at venues for a start?

16. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

I always wear earplugs to shows. I have enough hair to cover my ears, so people don't really notice them. I just buy a pack of Hearos at the grocery store (for a pack of 16!) it's like $8. Take some extras and make friends at the show. They reduce the sound pretty nicely (by 33dB I think).

yeah if somebody gives you shit for wearing 'plugs, fuck em...better safe than sorry

17. MasterOLightning

I really need to to start wearing plugs when I play drums. I think that's what's killing my hearing. China cymbals are not so friendly.

18. Erik

Erik New Metal Member

truth

i always always always wear earplugs at concerts and band rehearsal. this is because 1) tinnitus must be one of the most annoying things to have ever and 2) i'm studying to become a sound engineer and that means relying on your ears a lot -- having hearing with modified frequency response is no good

...they're dumb

i'm the most insanely cool hard rockin' heavy metaller you're likely to see so if i wear plugs, anyone gets to wear plugs

19. Hell Mike

Hell Mike fuck melodic black metal

Tinnitus would rule if you're into industrial but I like heavy metal so I think it sucks and now I'm stuck with it forever, kinda sucks.

20. Erik

Erik New Metal Member

because it drowns irrelevant shit out -- you really don't want to hear 10000 drunken balding germans with accept backpatches on denim vests yelling along to METAL HEART! METAL HEART! THEY SAW IT EVERYWHERE