This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Love

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by Norsemaiden, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Seditious

Seditious GodSlayer

yea naa in light of that I think I understood you well when I first answered.

I like to run with the first thing that comes to mind, and here it was the aesthetic pleasure I derive from perceiving Jessica Alba as beautiful, but I do consider her beauty being there for me to see to be as an "externally perceivable consequence towards myself", as valuing talking to her because I love her voice, or her wit, or touching her because of the way she feels and responds... the sense of 'consequence' here is like that of food, I don't expect the food itself to act in any way, to have any behavior, merely 'that I will have a reaction in its being present to my stomach'. Without the consequence of feeling horny or happy or what have you when I see her, I wouldn't have any 'overarching state of positive feelings toward' her (supposing for example sake that I have no other reason for liking her)

2. Blowtus

Blowtus Member

The examples you provide are value derived from specific elements / attributes, not the entity as a whole...

It seems more complicated than the food analogy to me, I do not hope for a happy life for the bunch of bananas in my fruit bowl, there is no happiness created by the caring (whether actualised or not) for them.

3. death metal black metal

death metal black metal New Metal Member

You expect the food however to have properties, like any good materiel, and extend that to her as a passive contributor to sexual excitement. But what about love?

4. Seditious

Seditious GodSlayer

what're you on about? [​IMG]

5. death metal black metal

A Kantian comparison between thing-in-itself intentionality and a scientific observation of the tendencies of matter.

6. Seditious

Seditious GodSlayer

I was referring to 'extending food toward her as contribution to sexual excitement':zombie:

7. SouthernTrendkill

SouthernTrendkill Super Normie

My opinion on it is simplistic. I could get very fancy but I think some clarity is needed on such an important issue. My thoughts are these:

Usually, when somebody loves someone, that someone does not love them back (or not to the same extent, or not at the same times).

Even when lovers do connect, it often causes problems.

I think love sucks. It can be quite uplifting and powerful, and all of that. But I think it is generally a grand illusion. It makes us legitimately feel and care, but there's no way to truly connect. We just need to believe that there is.

8. death metal black metal

Love exists for the exclusive, not the inclusive. Anything else is pity (altruism is pity).

9. harrybartz

harrybartz New Metal Member

It's interesting

10. harrybartz

harrybartz New Metal Member

I think that this can be understood in relation to you, the way she responds to your messages, the way she communicates with you. You need to feel it. Here I am half a year ago broke up with a girl, and a friend persuaded me to go to this is my first time on such portals. I am a romantic myself, and always dreamed that my acquaintance with my wife would happen like my parents. I started communicating with a lady, I like her, but so far only by correspondence. And I'm afraid that if I meet her in person, it will ruin everything, what to do=))