This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LT in Drum Media

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

There's a nice article on Utopia in this week's Drum Media where I've been asked a few metal related questions!

Check it out online here:

http://streetpress.com.au/online_mags/DM/DM_1016/

(starts page 49 and continues over the next 2 pages)

2. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

They fucked up the printed version. Page 49 doesn't exist. Instead page 52 is repeated on 49.

A few cringe worthy questions, but I guess you can't expect too much!

3. Lord Tim

Yeah, it's kind of sad that the interview I did had to be cut down so much to get everyone's point of view because there was a lot of stuff that sounded like it had a different context when it was put with everyone else's replies in the Utopia article.

But cheers to Crabby and Drum for the promo all the same! :)

4. Sargeant Squidlips

Sargeant Squidlips Handsome Devil

So LORD isn't already your super dooper metal band?! Screw you! :mad:

5. Lord Tim

Haha! I think we have the best members LORD could have right now, honestly. Sure, there's players out there that I really admire but are they the right people for LORD? Nope! :)

6. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

^ Agreed, i think the dynamic in tha band these days is nice and tight...

7. LegionsOfTheDead

Damn, I was wondering today why I couldn't find the interview in there. Gayness!!

8. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Good read. Short but sweet.

9. Lord Tim

Actually, this'll be interesting - Crabby, did you still have the transcription of the chat we had that went into that big Utopia feature? Obviously only a small part of it could be used in the article, but being the LORD forum, it might be interesting for everyone here to see what I said for the full thing. :)

10. Crabby

Crabby Member

I'm told it was an error from the printers and nothing to do with the mag itself. Still annoying but not much can be done there.

11. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Stuff like this has always happened at Drum.

12. Crabby

Crabby Member

Twas a shame- they ran the other three pages of the guide, but due to a printer error the feature on the metal scene was left out.

Anyway, as requested here are LT's answers-

"*International metal bands are increasingly frequently coming to our shores and many of them attract far larger crowds than shows featuring Australian metal talent. In your view, is the main reason for this a lack of awareness of the local scene, or something else entirely?

It's three things, I think.

Firstly it's ignorance of the scene we have here. A lot of people who aren't actively involved in the metal scene really have no idea of the day-to-day happenings that we who are involved directly with it take for granted. It takes a big media push that extends into the mainstream to make them realise something is even happening at all, and frankly, if it's a name they're not familiar with they won't pay any attention. To a lot of people, metal died somewhere back in the early 90s and it's only when they see the name "Iron Maiden" or "Metallica" in the Sunday paper they go "wow, are they still around? I love those guys!" and they dig out their copy of "Enter Sandman" or whatever. The nostalgia aspect gets a lot of people into shows; they're familiar with the bands, know the stuff, and know they'll enjoy it, so it gets them out of the house and to a live show that they'd otherwise not bother with.

There's also a perception that local bands are somehow inferior to overseas bands, which is far from the truth.

And finally I think it's the idea that if a band is traveling all this way then people will try and see them while they have the chance because they may never be back again. The irony in that is that if no one supports local bands, there's a good chance you may never see them again either if there's no market for them.

*How frustrating is it for a band such as yourselves to see, say, Lamb of God draw several thousand people to a show when a local show the next night might be lucky to get 100 people? Parkway Drive is an obvious exception here.

Yeah, of course it's frustrating, but it's understandable with the way people perceive the scene. Why see LORD when you can catch us next time? Who cares about LORD when Lamb Of God has released a well marketed album that people love and would like to hear that stuff played live? I mean, obviously I'm generalising a bit here but you get the idea. There's a lot of money that goes into making people like an album or an act, if you really think about it. Independent artists really are doing it tough to try and compete with that.

*Is it especially frustrating when a lot of the Aussie bands are as good as, if not better than many internationals playing a similar style?

Yeah, like I said earlier that's the perception that a lot of people have. If it comes from overseas, it must be better than what we have here, right? I've had the good fortune of seeing some of the biggest bands in the world play on stages across the globe, and I can tell you with no uncertainty that it's definitely not true that Australian metal bands are inferior to overseas bands. The biggest thing that divides our talent from the rest of the world is money for the show production and marketing. The actual quality of the acts themselves is as good, if not better than anything else in the world.

*Given the difficulties that metal has faced gaining recognition in this country, how vital are stores such as Utopia, who are viewed by many as a real hub for the metal community- CDs, vinyl, tickets, magazines and a place to meet other metal fans, etc, to spreading the word?

I think for spreading the word of an underground movement like metal is in this country, it's vital that there's stores like Utopia who are actively promoting metal. Because there's little to no mainstream media representation, metal really relies on the underground to get news out there to the masses. This is what I was saying earlier about most people not knowing about anything to do with the scene at all, there's nothing in any commercial magazines or papers, TV or radio promoting what we have going on here, so our only place to look for news and music is the underground, and stores and promoters that support it.

*Do you think gigs such as the upcoming Metal for the Masses show, where you combine many of the best bands in the scene on one bill, are the best way to promote the quality of Australian metal and the scene as a whole and show the doubters what the local scene is capable of?

Honestly, no. But let me clarify that!

What you have on that bill are some of the best bands this country has ever produced, and easily some of the best metal bands in the world. It's a terrific lineup! But what does that really mean in the grand scheme of things? Let's say 600 people turn up. That's a great turn-out for a metal show in Sydney, but when you put it up against even a modest crowd for a mainstream act, it's pitiful. Think about Metal For The Brain, our longest running and biggest metal festival ever. The biggest turn-out for that was well under 3000 people, and that was promoted all year, universally hailed as THE date on the Australian metal calendar and had literally dozens of our top metal acts on the bill. Now compare that to Soundwave or Big Day Out. It's tiny. The actual metal scene in this country is absolutely minuscule, but bulging with some of the best talent in the world.

From a fan's point of view, or to the point of view of metal-friendly promoters, the Metal for the Masses show is fantastic. Where else can you see so many of our best metal bands in one place? But when it comes down to it, outside of our scene, it doesn't mean a whole lot to the doubters when you put it into the big picture. Sad but true.

*Any other thoughts you’d like to add?

I think as a scene itself, we're not doing too badly, despite there being hardly any metal-friendly venues left out there, and the fact that the mainstream has entirely overlooked what we have on offer. But that said, I think it's time to get a bit more recognition for bands outside of our little insulated underground bubble. We deserve better than that, and I think once people actually hear what we have, there's a good chance they'll enjoy it. Obviously, the extreme bands will always be an acquired taste that have a niche market that won't appeal to anyone else - and no doubt they wouldn't have it any other way - but I think we have a lot of great metal bands which have tremendous cross-over appeal into a much bigger mainstream market, and that can only bring more fans and more money into the metal scene, that will allow metal bands to really step up and show the world that we truly have a force down here to be reckoned with, and shut the doubters up once and for all."

13. Lord Tim

Woo, thanks man! :)

14. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Thanks Mr Crabster!

What a great read, I wish I could answer questions as well as you do, LT.

15. Bucko

Bucko Member

well Answered LT

16. bRatzc

bRatzc Member

Thanks for the informative interview Mr. Crabs & very eloquent LT.