This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Maiden| A Matter of Life and Death?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Theandromedastrain, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Theandromedastrain

Theandromedastrain eyeloveprog(Ben)

I have the whole new Iron Maiden album, and I'd have to give it a low rating. It just doesn't bring the same buzz to me as the rest of their discography does :erk: . I only like about 2 songs, and not even those 2 songs have amazed me or anything. Any opinions on it??

Andromedastrain-

2. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Sheesh, can you wait until it is released prior to shit storming it?
    Some of us actually BUY CDs.
    Wait for it to sink in.

Every Maiden album since Somewhere In Time initially received poor reviews.

No offense to you... but your post is the reason I HATE when albums leak.
    It seems that many simply want to be the first to come to forums and post, "Oh this album sucks"

3. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I actually think it's their best work since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. However, I don't think it's a disc that will hit everyone right away. I think it's a disc that even long-term Maiden fans will want to spin once or twice, come back to in a week, and discover they really enjoy it.

Zod

4. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

So if he had waited to purchase the album, he would have loved it? Just because someone hears the album before its release date doesn't mean that his opinion is less valid than someone who waits to purchase it.

5. ragingsaxmachine

ragingsaxmachine Blue Bomber

Most longer songs take a few plays to enjoy, simply because of the complicated arrangements...there's a longer time needed to familiarize yourself with it. This album is chock full of long songs.

6. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

You say that as if he was a passive participant rather than him actively going out and getting a pirate copy. I don't disagree with you, but I do disagree with D/Ling pirate copies of music.

7. ashaman7122

ashaman7122 Crazy on a ship of fools

Dat's right!

8. Metaldrumz

Metaldrumz Member

Whoah slow down there bud. I download TONS of albums in advance. I would likely bet I BUY more CD's than you do.

Not everyone who downloads CD leaks, steals music. Are there a good chunk of them? Yes , but dont go assuming we all do it.

9. General Zod

Exactly. I've said this before... there's just too much crap out there to buy blind. If someone enjoys the excitement of not knowing what they're getting when they buy a CD, all the power to them. However, I'm not dropping $15 on something I'll never listen to a second time, and end up trading in for pennies on the dollar.

I've previewed roughly 200 CDs this year, of which I've purchased 62. Had I purchased all those CDs blind, I'd be out a bit over $2,000. $2,000 on CDs I'd never listen to again. However, more importantly, had I not had an opportunity to preview CDs, I probably would have only purchased 10-20 CDs this year. Why? Since there's a 75% chance I'm not going to like something that's been recommended to me, why waste my money?

Additionally, since I go to more shows (because I'm aware of more bands) I buy more tickets and t-shirts than I would have otherwise. The record industry/bands have received way more money from me than they would have without me being able to preview CDs.

Zod

10. Dark One

Dark One The Tainted Dogma

ACE POST /\

11. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Amen :headbang:
    I couldn't agree more Mr. Zod. Yes, I'm saving money on stuff that is questionable, but I've sure as hell spent more than I saved on buying stuff that I liked. If it wasn't for Kazaa & (pre-Lars)Napster, I'd never have gotten into Freak Kitchen as early as I did. This was true for a lot of bands that got ZERO exposure here in the US.

J-Dubya - Buys blind only on a select few people's reccommendations.....

12. aztattooedsean

aztattooedsean crazed tattooed metalhead

I agree with the General. Between bands pulling a 180 on me or just putting out a freakin bad cd, I just won't take chances. I go to a clothing shop. I have the option of trying it on to see if it fits. Why shouldn't I have the chance to hear a cd before I make the purchase?

13. woosta

woosta Member

Getting back to the new Maiden (yes, the DOWNLOADED version), I thought the first two tracks were very subtle but VERY good. All in all, and this is only on one listen, I'd tend to agree that it's a very strong release. It's much better than that last turd, that's for sure.

14. Thorn23TX

Thorn23TX Marked By The Triangle

I also am enjoying the new Maiden disc... have probably listened to it 2-3 times in total while driving to work this past week. Yes, I'm still supporting the band - I have the disc pre-ordered.

Based on my initial reactions, I think the disc is strong... It's easily their strongest release since Bruce re-joined. It will take a good listen with headphones before I can determine my favorite songs/arrangements. I'll also reserve further comments for after I hear the tracks off the actual CD.

15. fatesmiles

fatesmiles Member

Because until recently I had dial-up service I never bothered to check for sites to download music. Where do you guys download these releases from? I agree with Zod and I always buy the music I like. It would just be nice to be able to preview some releases first. Thanks for any links you might be able to provide me.

16. Trans-Siberian Outcast

I've heard the new Maiden about 8 times over the past few days. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I think it's the best thing they've put out since Seventh Son. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

I pre-downloaded Dance of Death as well. Didn't like it. Lost interest after about 5 listens. Didn't buy it. This album, on the other hand, kicks my ass and deserves my hard earned dinero when it's finally released here in the States (especially with the bonus dvd). That's the way the music world works now. Well established bands would do well to just accept that and focus on creating great music. If you do that, you'll sell albums. Bottom line.

17. Theandromedastrain

Theandromedastrain eyeloveprog(Ben)

Damn right man, I support the bands I listen to, no, not through purchasing their albums, but buy going to thier shows and paying for the ticket, and purchasing THEIR merchandise. So i don't want to hear any more crap about not supporting the bands. Like Zod said, if I bought all the albums I downloaded I'd be wasting about 350-400$ on music because half of the stuff I've downloaded i've erased in due time because it didnt fit my taste.

Plus, if i took a picture of the cd's i DO own, you'd be shocked. I have about 300 or more retail albums that i purchased.

Andromedastrain-

18. General Zod

Google the word "torrent".

Zod

19. woosta

woosta Member

Yep, I use Torrents as well. You'll need a program that helps you download them, but it's quite nice.

You could also go the "Russian Route" and try one of their MP3 sites such as www.mp3sugar.com and get the album for $1. I've not been ripped off so far with my credit info and such.

20. Changeofamemory

Sounds awesome to me. Really looking forward to hearing this stuff live as I think it'll sound even better than the cd. So far, favorites are probably The Pilgrim, Out of the Shadows and For the Greater Good of God.