This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Maryand Deathfest 10

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by AeonicSlumber, Jul 3, 2011.

1. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I've never avoided a show in Chicago that I wanted to go if it's in a suspicious area. I may have talked how something might be in a bad area but that's it.

Idk though, I would like to go. Plus, I do have a friend that lives in that area.

2. AeonicSlumber

mfw during Godflesh:

[​IMG]

Seriously, the best band I think I've ever seen live in my entire life - or one of.

Also honestly, and don't get me wrong - I LOVED MDF and probably will go next year - but this fest taught me how important touring/being able to play your instruments is for a band. A good portion (although there were some glaringly awesome exceptions, like Artillery who was awesome) of these "one off" bands that don't play live all that much got beat the fuck off the stage by Suffocation and Napalm Death by a pretty huge margin. Those bands know how to play their instruments, know how to entertain a crowd, and manage to keep relevant after all these years. A funny testament to that is when Frank demanded that the fog machine be turned off during Suffo's set because "we don't need no smoke and mirrors." It's funny because it's true, they don't need to rely on phoney aesthetics (shit, Godflesh delivered imo the best set of the weekend and their video in the background was broken the whole time!), they can deliver the goods with the music alone and I give more credit to that than anything else. It was kind of sad to see bands like Morgoth suck so miserably and look like idiots doing so, but that's what happens when your band is inactive for so long.

#82 AeonicSlumber, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  3. AeonicSlumber

I'm not going to lie, there were at least several times where I just wanted to pack and amtrack back home because of how sketchy it got.

4. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

I bought a Morgoth t-shirt to commemorate their set, but I was a little disappointed as well. For some reason, they didn't come off as heavy really. Disma brought the house down on the same stage at pretty much the same time of day.

5. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

That Disma set was sheer perfection. Hopefully next time I'll see them in the dark instead of a 90degree parking lot at 3PM...

6. Palabra de Dios

Completely exempt from this line of thought is Tsjuder, a band that showed no signs of fatigue from being inactive. True, it was only a few years as opposed to 15 years or so, but still - they were fucking incredible.

SODOMIZING THE LAAAAAMMMMMBBBB! :worship:

7. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

What was wrong with Saint Vitus?
    Yeah, well, slower doom certainly was made for a bar at 1AM as opposed to an outdoor setting.

Anyone have setlists for Godflesh, Vitus, and Electric Wizard?

8. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

I just thought they sounded bad and phoned in the performance. Don't get me wrong, I like their music -- that's why I chose to give them 45 minutes of my time instead of doing one of the million other things available at MDF -- but just wasn't feeling it. I'll be seeing them again this weekend, so maybe it'll be a better set, especially since it IS in a bar at 1am!

Honestly, they were still better than Morbid Angel!

9. Palabra de Dios

I will say this, they were more animated on stage when I saw them in Kansas City, but they were loud as hell and heavy as shit...I'm SO glad I had earplugs in when they played.

10. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Totally forgot that they played this. They probably would've been my top band to see had I gone. What was their setlist like? More newer or older or a mixture of both?

11. War Ensemble

War Ensemble Enos, You Dipstick!

Saint Vitus

Blessed Night
    I Bleed Black
    Clear Windowpane
    Let Them Fall
    The Bleeding Ground
    Look Behind You
    The Waste of Time
    White Stalions
    Mystic Lady
    Dying Inside
    Born Too Late

Artillery

When Death Comes
    By Inheritance
    Death is an illusion
    The almighty
    Mi Sangre (The Blood Song)
    The challenge
    10,000 Devils
    Khomaniak
    Terror Squad

Godflesh

Like Rats
    Christbait Rising
    Street Cleaner
    Life Is Easy
    Tiny Tears
    Avalanche Master
    Deadhead
    Spite
    Mothra
    Pure
    Crush My Soul
    Slateman

Electric Wizard (in order/complete?)

Supercoven
    Satanic Rites of Drugula
    Dopethrone
    Witchcult Today
    Black Mass
    Return Trip
    The Chosen Few
    Funeralopolis

12. War Ensemble

War Ensemble Enos, You Dipstick!

Had a blast at MDF. I am planning to go back next year. I agree with AS that Godflesh was amazing. I have waited for so long to see them & they were everything I was hoping to see. I would love to have the chance to see them again. I was really bummed that they had no merch.

As usual, I saw a bunch of bands that I will probably never see again & discovered a bunch of new bands. Already listening to some of the bands I discovered this weekend today.

Now I need to wait until early July when they will make their initial announcements for next year. Would enjoy Carcass next year as a headliner. :kickass:

13. AeonicSlumber

I thought Disma was great but I wish they moved around a bit more.

14. OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver BECAUSE FALCONER

My friend got pee'd on by one of the guys from Cough during Electric Wizard's set.

15. AeonicSlumber

Honestly the only Artillery album I have is "By Inheritance." I know they played the title track and Khomaniak, but I wasn't familiar with the rest of their set. However it was awesome. I was worried that they'd be too old to be any good live but they were tight as hell and the singer was in top form.

16. AeonicSlumber

They came on right after Suffocation. It was horrible timing. I don't like Saint Vitus and I never have, but even if I was a fan I probably would have gotten bored. Suffo is one of the best live acts in metal.

17. modernwizardry

modernwizardry I want stout!

I would have loved to see Church of Misery. I have the Live at Roadburn CD and it is killer.

18. Palabra de Dios

Totally agree. They blow me away every time I see them. They were better than Morbid Angel when I saw them on a package together in 2004, and I daresay they sounded better than MA at MDF. And Frank's stage banter is some of the best out there.

19. Palabra de Dios

How is it that Electric Wizard of all bands is the big unifier of this fest? They seem almost universally loved by the MDF attendees. It was amazing to watch everyone, literally everyone who cared about seeing bands pack the outside area for their set. For just about every other band it was easy to push through and get to near the front. That was impossible for Wizard. I had to be extremely rude just to get to where my friends were a little off to the side, and I was still a good bit far away. It would have been cool to see an aerial shot of the outdoor stage when they were playing. I've never seen it so crowded out there.

20. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

Not the whole crowd, but the general idea:

[​IMG]