This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"Mastered for iTunes"

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by wutzington, Feb 24, 2012.

1. wutzington

wutzington massive member

2. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I posted this of FB already but, when the RHCP did this a lot of guys here thought it was dumb and/or snake oil to master for a lossy format. Personally I think making the best possible sound for the predominant medium is a great idea. I'd prefer that apple release things encoded with a lossless codec (they have their own after all) but until that point we have to maximize our effort on the part of the process we actually control because ultimately if it sounds better it is better. We can't hold our breathe waiting for "best" to come back in style.
    Lossy < mastered for lossy < lossless

3. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

4. RandomAwesome

RandomAwesome Member

This is actually very interesting and has lot of useful information. As someone who despises listening to MP3s, I really like what Apple is trying to do here, and I didn't know about this Sound Check thing either. The loudness wars are at a point where it just can't get any worse, so it looks like things are finally starting to improve. Nice post!

5. waltz mastering

Yep. Having apple sell ALAC lossless sounds like it would be the best bet all around.

As of now places like Tunecore, CD Baby, and Nimbit who distribute the song files to iTunes, Amazon, eMusic etc, do not even accept 24 bit files so I'm not sure how that would work with getting the higher rez files to iTunes to decode to 256 AAC.

6. Audiosprite

how about just offer lossless downloads :loco:

7. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I think the true issue with offering lossless is that some MBA's at apple have done a cost:benefit analysis on bandwidth/storage/sales and it just isn't cost effective. That's pure conjecture on my part but I doubt the audiophile market would flock to iTunes even if lossless happened. This is a way for Apple to do relatively little while pushing the issue of quality back to the content creators.
    Everyone should go here and tell apple to sell lossless but in the meantime do the best with what you have.

8. LydonB

LydonB Member

It is interesting to me that in the documentation Apple prefers receiving 96/24 files to convert down to iTunes Plus files. I hope with all these 96/24 files, they are at least considering selling some higher resolution stuff in the near future.

9. Audiosprite

There's no doubt that it would be profitable -- bandwidth is cheap enough for digital stores to sell gigabytes for quarters these days. But yeah, it's definitely an issue of how efficient the business is, not whether or not it would be profitable.

10. fatalforce

fatalforce Member

I feel like this is a small step for apple. They are preparing for high fidelity downloads. The technology is there to play back 96/24 they just need to implement them to their mobile devices

11. outbreak525

outbreak525 Member

I think it's awesome!
    I just got the chance to hear Green Day's "21st Century Breakdown" in FLAC and it blew my mind.
    I don't want to listen to mp3s anymore!