This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Memphis May Fire - The Victim | Crits/Mastering Advice

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by dboy1612, Sep 18, 2014.

1. dboy1612

dboy1612 New Metal Member

Did this with some Stems I found (and posted for others) awhile back. This is the final mix, I'm actually quite happy with what I have and now and am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas to improve.

Now I'd like to start mastering but am kinda lost where to take off.

This image was one of Chango's mastering buss and when I saw it I was confused. Is all of that really necessary?

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zwgcud.jpg

Right now my track obviously isn't loud enough to standard of the original track so that's one thing to start, but reverb and a multiband on a mastering bus I was lost with? Not to mention I can never seem to get a clipper to work on a master bus without it sounding like completely crap.

My experiences with a clipper so far is making it sound someone decent on my monitors but then it sounding terrible once putting on a regular pair of over ear headphones.

Either way, all of that, good or bad? Less or more? Any help is appreciated. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9235267/The%20Victim.mp3

EDIT: Original song if wanted! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5p8pIWye4

2. alex-sonic

alex-sonic Member

It's sad you didn't get any hel and I can't help either but your sound is good, but sorry I hate your cymbals, what did you do on it or use?

3. Hankyu

Hankyu Member

please change your cymblas. sorry, but they sound very awful. the rest of the mix sounds good. maybe the bass could a bit louder like the original

4. scoreking81

scoreking81 New Metal Member

So from top to bottom we have :
    EQ
    EQ + Gate + Compressor
    Reverb
    Multiband Compressor
    Widener
    Clipper
    Compressor/Limiter
    MaxxBass
    Clipper

That is actually not too excessive and seems pretty normal considering each plugin may not doing that much work. It seems he has multiple compressors all doing small bits of compression instead of 1 doing all the work. This sometimes gives the compression a more smoother feel when the work load is distributed evenly throughout multiple compressors. He seems to apply the same concept with clippers as well.

Besides compression and clipping, all he really has going is low end enhancement (MaxxBass) , a Widener (SI Imager) and some Reverb (Waves AudioTrack). It looks like a lot at first but once you break it down it's a lot more understandable.

5. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Member

Half of those plugins seem pointless. BF76? after 2 comps and a clipper?
    Adding "flavour" ehh? :lol:

6. scoreking81

scoreking81 New Metal Member

Most likely slams it at a high ratio as his main limiter. Doing a small bit of clipping into a limiter, into another clipper doing a bit more is great. Loudness is important after all.