This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mercenary Contest "winner" ....puhleeeeese

Discussion in 'Travis Smith' started by Rex, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rex

Rex Member

This really bugs me. The Mercenary contest was to find someone to make up new imagery and a new logo for them to use on merchandise and other things. But guess what, the winner used Travis' artwork and the old logo.

Whats the point in that? This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Someone please enlighten me.

Travis' original
    [​IMG]

Design contest winner
    [​IMG]

2. Rex

Rex Member

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this band. But it defeats the purpose of a contest if the winner doesn't use original material. They could have just used the real files to make this up in a couple of minutes. It looks like this person took a low res file of the cover and stretched it out, which is why its blurry. That and the fact that another person is going to get credit for Travis' work. (seemingly)

3. Seems like Trav

Seems like Trav No Such Thing

4. ColdDarkNord

ColdDarkNord www.vicrecords.com

5. winters epilogue

winters epilogue Senior Lurker

6. Eyesore

Eyesore Member

Huh...that's pretty weak. Is that band that oblivious that they didn't notice that complete rip-off?

7. Pyro

Pyro The guy from the internet

Credit where credit is due..

..and by that, I mean to the awesome artist who created the shirt design. Fuck, I just tried and it took me about 2 straight weeks come up with this (and this topic didn't even exist then):

[​IMG]

8. Everblack

Everblack Firesoul

Let me clarify this for you. We are not oblivious....we are aware of that Travis´ art is used to create the winning design (duh). However, the point of the contest was to create something that we would put on our shirt. The winner got the obvious idea of using elements from the album. We did´nt ask for something completely new....just something that would prevent us from using the typical BIG print cover shirt- So, there you have it.....New imagery, new logo??? Where the hell did that come from?

Mike/Mercenary

9. Rex

Rex Member

Bravewords.com > News
    Mercenary.dk - News

There you go. Maybe I as an artist, misunderstood what was trying to be said. But when I see phrases like "but remember, we're also looking for something new and fresh" and "feel free to invent the new..." and also a suggestion of possibly creating "a new logo" that it immediately tells me that the client is looking for something new and different. Not something they already have total access too.

But I'll humbly apologize if I misunderstood and read that wrong. But you have to be able to see it my way now that I've shown it to you as well. Mercenary are one of my favorite bands, (only after Nevermore currently) and I'd not like to piss anyone in the band off. That wasn't my intent. But when I "understood" that Mercenary was looking for something new, and then saw that the winning piece was a direct rip from Travis' artwork, that made me mad.

10. Seems like Trav

Seems like Trav No Such Thing

:: deleted because it was supposed to be funny, but wasn't ::

11. Everblack

Everblack Firesoul

Rex >> I see your point and we also got a lot of designs that had´nt anything to do with the cover artwork but giving an artist the possibility to create something completely new does´nt exactly mean that it´s a must. When all is said and done...we looked through the different design and chose this one. Simple and straight forward. But hey, I know what you mean and take no offense.

/Mike

And Travis>> I´m sure you were pretty funny :)

12. Rex

Rex Member

Great, thanks Mike. And I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way at all. I'd really not want to do that to someone in one of my favorite bands. haha
    Thanks for understanding.

And yeah, it was funny Trav. You should have left it be.