This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MESHUGGAH 2016 release (Tue Madsen)

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Heabow, May 12, 2016.

1. Pxz

Pxz Member

Just saw Meshuggah live last saturday. It's fucking unbelievable how good they sound.

2. Terminus

Terminus Member

I love this, and that's coming from someone who hasn't been a huge fan over the years. They always have the most ridiculously heavy as fuck production and this is no exception.

3. Artean

Artean Member

Do I sense a hint of Chaosphere? Best I've heard from Meshuggah in many years. Lost interest after Catch 33, but now might be the time to get back.

4. Pxz

Pxz Member

I dig it .

5. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

I am blown away by this song. I have too many good things to say about it so I'm not even going to start.

6. mva801

mva801 Member

This band has kinda bored me in the past. But FUCK these songs are good. I've always got why people love them so much, I just never quite fell in love with them. But I'll be picking this record up for sure and giving it some study.

7. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

Am I the only one who's pretty bored with these songs? Maybe I just need to hear them on good speakers and appreciate from a production standpoint.

8. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

i think you´re not. The sound is great, the riffs are great ... for a minute. I miss some sort of "kicker", progression or some catchy C-part. Just like the new Opeth

9. mva801

mva801 Member

If you're a drummer, you'll probably want to go practice after you watch this. Haake is incredible.

Also shout out for the guitar player wearing the slippers in the back. I'm sure he had to wear them to keep the noise down from tapping his foot the whole time.

Does anyone have any additional production info for the album? I was under the impression that Meshuggah have used programmed drums and guitar sims on albums in the past. Maybe that's just for demo purposes and then they track the album live?

I saw Mark Lewis post on instagram about them really capturing a 'live' feel this time around. I'd love to see a trend start to go the other way focused on musicianship, original sounds and live tracking.

#29 mva801, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  10. Pxz

Pxz Member

The use of ghost notes really impress me about Thomas. He looks so relaxed while playing this stuff.

11. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...al_amps_for_the_first_time_in_many_years.html

12. mva801

mva801 Member

^^nice!
    I wonder how much of the vocals were re-done. Also wonder in the mixing process how much of the drum tones stay natural, if there are samples/ kick samples blended in.

13. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

That's pretty awesome that they recorded 5 amps and cabs separately but used them independently depending on the song or part instead of making a mushy wall of shit like some people do when they record several amps and mix them together hahaha

I love the fact that Meshuggah can record an album with programmed drums and ampsims and then do an album completely live with everyone playing together and using real amps and more "classic" recording techniques and although the difference in sound is clearly noticeable and awesome, it's still Meshuggah by all accounts, which comes to prove it's the musicians that make their sound, which is good news for people working hard and practicing their skills and songwriting trying to find their own "sound", bad news for people who buy (or crack) ezdrummer and ampsims saying "meshuggah do it so they sound good and I can sound like them".

Can't wait to experience these new songs live next month, I've seen them twice at festivals but a Meshuggah headline indoors show is something I need in my life.

14. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

Amazing! I see using many different rigs in the same song seems to be freaking hard to mix in order to shape something coherent and "invisible" and not sound A, sound B, which would be very distractive and unmusical to me (at least for most Metal genres). I'd be a bit afraid to do that tbh, I'm gotta try it tho. Do you guys have already used this technique?

15. Pxz

Pxz Member

Album leaked, it's great, totally a must buy for me.

16. Pxz

Pxz Member

17. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

18. osum

osum Misanthrope

Gave the album a few listens now. obZen is still my favourite but I also like this one. But besides that: holy crap, I saw them last monday for the first time live. What an amazing show!