This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Dolamite S. Biffle, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ratanda

ratanda Member

Hey, I want to see them too. :D

2. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Put me down for those too! :lol:

3. Dark Gothic Sanctuary

Dark Gothic Sanctuary Metal Gothic God

Well... its her image, just see the Bye Bye Beautiful video. Don't get me wrong man, I LOVE Nightwish!!! (mostly their old stuff though...)

4. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Okay, I love both Meshuggah and Nightwish. I understand what he's getting at. I disagree with him saying Nightwish isn't metal. It is metal, though they do have some lighter, fluffier songs like "Eva" for example and are on the lighter side of metal. For him to say they aren't doing anything new, well, Nightwish has been around a long time and they were the FIRST true gothic metal band with female vocals, which I think is why he thinks it's not metal. Due to the female singer.

The thing is, Meshuggah probably is one of the heaviest metal bands PERIOD!!!! To compare Nightwish to Meshuggah is absurd in terms of heaviness. Truthfully, it's the same thing if you were to compare Maiden to Meshuggah. By today's standards Maiden is pretty light on the metal spectrum, much like many power bands. (I'm sure I'll get shit for this one) But come on, that's why Meshuggah and other death metal and the like are considered extreme metal.

Overall I agree with his statement though. A lot of bands are pretty much recycling the same material over and over and over again. Truthfully, how many new ideas can there truthfully be left? It's the same thing with any other type of art form. I do wish a lot of bands would put more creativity and ingenuity in their music but at the end of the day, most riffs have already been written.

5. J-Man

J-Man Old as Yoda

QFT

6. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

i am apparently VERY late to this thread. i didn't read many responses except a few from the beginning so i will keep this short. meshuggah don't need to tour with NIGHTWISH. they are equals if not bigger. a tool? seriously? not by any means.

MESHUGGAH changed metal, period. recording techniques, tones, rhythmic approaches, solo stylings, etc. without MESHUGGAH pushing the studios boundaries with pro-tools none of us would be enjoying half of the amazing sounding albums out there now. they truly lead the way regardless whether you enjoy there music or not. FEAR FACTORY could be the other legitimate argument. "Demanufacture" pushed everything to a new level as well.

i GUARANTEE there is some record you own in your personal collection that uses "Drums From Hell" which are meshuggah's tones for drum sampling. they were SO FAR ahead of the curve it's silly. last few records not so much into.

but i think because of this thread i will be the one person wearing my MESHUGGAH "Destroy Erase Improve" shirt with pride.

i also forgot to mention the album that influenced so many of the "youth" out there today was released July 25th, 1995. so most of them were probably between the ages 4 and 7. not really the time where they were learning how to play meshuggah riffs.

they revolutionized aggressive music before most people knew what aggressive music could be.:kickass::headbang::):worship:

7. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Seriously J-man! I was amazed that this thread just started and it's got more pages than pretty much any other thread on here.