This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Dolamite S. Biffle, Mar 13, 2009.

1. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

Thanks for the laugh. Funniest post in months.

2. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

I don't even think the entire Nw catalog has been downloaded 800 thousand times.

3. Iced Dog

Iced Dog The Stormrider's Pooch

IDK what the sales are for Dark Passion Play, but considering how many countries it has gone gold or platinum in, 800K copies sold worldwide certainly doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

4. rockyracoon

You're like the Jesse Jackson of Nightwish. Anytime a camera is rolling that dumb ass shows up spewing nonsensical garbage that nobody with a brain cares about. Anytime someone even thinks about typing something Nightwish related you pop up with the longest post of absolute bullshit drivel imaginable.

5. Jim LotFP

Jim LotFP The Keeper of Metal

People in the US might have a hard time believing this... but over here (and in many places), Nightwish are ridiculously popular. It's... scary. I have no problem believing the 800,000 number as a worldwide sales figure for a single album.

Also, when the first video came out for Dark Passion Play, all pretense that Nightwish had of not being a pop band disappeared with Annette's bopping and the easily-digested voice. That was Eurovision shit, and fits in quite nicely with European pop. Early last year I was seeing a girl that had this album on nonstop, so I had to hear it quite a bit... and calling it a metal album does violence to the concept of "metal." Not to mention the idea that the singer of a "metal" band needs an agent to secure clothing sponsorships? Why is there even a debate about their "metalness?"

It's like their fans would somehow enjoy them less if they were scientifically proven to not be metal or something.

6. St Enigma

St Enigma Member

That'd be close enough. Last time I heard about the sales figures mentioned in a Nightwish interview it was said the Once had sold over one million copiesworldwide and DPP was getting close. The same quite reliable source also revealed Nightwish's whole discography selling some 4 million copies by the end of last year.

But - these figures can never be 100% accurate since there are too many local labels involved in the global licencing chain and their book-keeping (and money payments to the band!) can - and usually will - hang behind even an year or two.

Another false idea people often will hold as a truth is that if a CD peaks high on the Billboard Charts it'd sell volumes. Not so; Billboard caharts will count only the sales in the USA and that's a small part of the world, actually less than 5% of the population on this planet - with Canada included. An eager fanbase may well help a band peaking high for a week or two, but when everyone got their copy the rank will drop like a brick.

Massive sales figures will rather depend on the weeks a CD stays high on the charts, because each week around, say 100th position, will nowadays mean only a thousand or 2k copies sold. Only the CDs in the Top 5 may occasionally reach or even exceed 50 000 sold copies weekly.

7. St Enigma

St Enigma Member

Eurovision shit :lol: - hey they did participate in the national Eurovision qualifications back in 2000 already with "Sleepwalker" but were dumped by the jury even they won the public televote.

I think it's the fact that Nightwish are heavy sounding yet melodic which make them appealing to most people including most metalheads. Only a minority of them have hard times in keeping their Tr00 metal face among their fellow believers if they admit that Nightwish are metal. :saint:

8. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

Thanks for the laugh. Funniest post in months.

9. Kaosaur

Kaosaur Member

I just shot fluids out my nose.

Hard.

Thank you! :worship: :worship: :worship:

10. Dark Gothic Sanctuary

Dark Gothic Sanctuary Metal Gothic God

Some of those mistakes are due to the keyboard not working but yes... you did find mistakes, lol! I really don't care if you correct me, otherwise I won't know when I mess up!! :)

11. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

I see his point about the direction Nightwish went, which is more so a pop direction, I don't know that he'd say that about them with Tarja because they were one of the few doing that kind of music were they not? I personally like Nightwish a lot with Tarja WAY better than with Annette. While I think he has a slight point I think he's broad brushing Nightwish and is way over speaking in saying they're not metal, I mean even if he's right (which I don't think as a whole he is right) isn't there such a thing as POP METAL?? While I think he makes a BIT of a point, his tact, attitude, ignorant comments, both what he said in total and his manner of communicating them are off base. He/they didn't JUST give an opinion, he made a value and category judgment about the fact that they aren't part of a genre that they claim to be in, and are in, and also about the quality of their art as well as their motivation.. That's out of line and I think will piss a lot of people off.

13. Jim LotFP

Jim LotFP The Keeper of Metal

It's not out of line if it's the truth...

14. No-Mercy

No-Mercy Feanor

sounds like this guy needs to really fuckin relax.

there are tons of different styles and variations of metal, all with different focuses and purposes.

15. Wandrail

Wandrail I'm your Huckleberry

Wow, this thread is like being warped back tot he 90's at death metal shows and people arguing about every sub-sub-genre because it isn't brutal enough, on and on. It was moronic then, and its moronic now.

16. Mr. Zane of HW

He's still a douche though.:heh:
    I've never liked Meshuggah, boring crap.
    I don't give a rat's ass what Nightwish is, thier music still sounds good to me.
    I don't care about motivations, integrity, etc. If it sounds good that is all that matters to me. If you don't like them, but love Meshuggah, great. Period.:puke:

17. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

I really don't see how anybody could call one of the most innovative and influential bands in all of metal "boring"...

Maybe you don't care for their style, but boring is the last word that fits their music.

18. Dark Gothic Sanctuary

Dark Gothic Sanctuary Metal Gothic God

Tarja is the much better vocalist... not to mention Annette's looks (which are somewhat skanky but I still is beautiful!!) is the reason Nightwish attract fans!!!

Oh, don't worry.... I also think Tarja is gorgeous as well!!!! (Tarja lovers)

19. rms

rms Active Member

Are you talking about meshuggah?

20. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member