This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Discussion in 'Amon Amarth' started by Golden Hall, May 24, 2006.

1. Golden Hall

Golden Hall The song is ringing loud

Have any of you checked out the new documentary, Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey? (http://www.metalhistory.com/) The director is a metalhead turned anthropologist, and it has a pretty big budget ($1 million or so). They talk to sociologists about metal culture, musicologists about classical and blues influences, etc. It was filmed all over, including Wacken. The director is a total homer, but it’s still pretty entertaining.

Plus, the extra disc has a mini documentary on Norwegian Black Metal and the Bergen scene. They talk to Jorn Tunsberg about the church burnings and even a couple local ministers. Gaahl from Gorgoroth provides an all-time classic Spinal Tap moment, I don’t know if anybody could be full of more shit, oh wait, the dudes from Mayhem in a drunk interview at Wacken. And some DJ in Bergen joked that “the eskimos have 22 words for snow, and Immortal has 23” that was pretty funny. The best part is when they talk to Enslaved about Viking Metal and their inspiration to write about Norse mythology.

There’s a bunch of interviews with all sorts of other guys, Lemmy is in top form: “you gotta know what the fuck you’re doing on your instrument too, because you can’t fake it, you know, look at Venom, they tried.” Or “I love women, I think they should naked backstage all the time.”

It’s worth checking out, despite a few crappy parts with douchebags like Slipknot.

2. Sehs

Sehs Member

I saw it in theatres in Canada since the director dude is Canadian. It was pretty good, I really liked the part with Dee Snider in court and all.

3. Maggot9

Maggot9 Amon Amarth Viking

I might pick it up. Havent seen it yet. It comes with a free T shirt too!:)

4. Belgar

Belgar The Wallonian Redneck.

Jupiter2 this is Alpha control do you copy?
    Bought the DVD, it's an awesome look at the metal world.

5. friendofthesuncross

friendofthesuncross Wielder of Thyrfing

I'll pick this up after the Amon Amarth DVD releases.

6. Tomasz

Tomasz outdoor type

yo neck, next time u over don't forget to bring IT over

7. Larsson

Larsson He is risen

8. yllmar

yllmar Jökull Strongjaw

Thanks for the tip. I'll be getting it, after I've received and watch (1,000 times) the Amon Amarth DvD.

9. Belgar

Worth watching ... Gorgoroth guy is really living in his own little world ... interview in a cellar, drinking wine,... Mayhem being complete dicks about almost everyone.

Best guy in the interview was R.J. Dio ... this guy is the best and prob. hates Gene Simmons. Enslaved / Emperor and Lemmy were also great guys to interview ... some of the other bands when asked; don't even seem to know why they sing about satan.

Slipknot sure did not belong on that dvd.

10. Larsson

Larsson He is risen

What did they say then?

Are there any other nu-metal band on the dvd?

11. Belgar

A guy playing in Korn is on the dvd as well. As far as Spliknot goes; their interview wasn't horrible but I just don't know why they had to be on the dvd over other more influencial bands.

Was also quite funny to hear Slayer's interview with Araya saying he is catholic and how the music is more to "shock" and K. King tell his hatred of religion. Kind of ironic for sure.

12. Egil Skallagrimson

Egil Skallagrimson New Metal Member

I see him at Toronto shows sometimes, and he's in my friend's band. Lucky Bas-tid.

13. Brainkisser

Brainkisser Master of War

I remember hearing about that randomly a little while ago, I wanted to see it in NYC when it came through. Missed it though, but it's cool it came out on dvd so soon. Might pick it up later this week if they have it at the record store.

14. darcy

darcy Member

My friend has a copy, I want to see if I can borrow it from him sometime... or I'll just get my own copy.

15. Tyra

Tyra Member

I liked the part with Dee Snyder... His stage persona comes across completely different than he did in that movie, for sure. Interesting, because I think a lot of people have this idea about metalheads being a certain way (read "simple minded heavy boozers who do not know how to string words together to make intelligent sentences"), and it really doesn't help that some bands choose to portray themselves accordingly in interviews and such. This movie proved a bit of a point, I think. It's generally good without that particular context, too, though!