This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metal and the Brain

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Celestial-Todd, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I was listening to Epica on the drive into work this morning and it instantly reminded me of being in Austria. It got me thinking about how music triggers an automatic response by your brain and reminds you of events in the past. These can be good or bad memories really (I list both kinds below)

I started to think of other stuff I have that does this... so far I've come up with this....

- Epica and Van Canto always remind me of my time in Austria as I was listening to them alot while over there

- System of a Down reminds me of The Hobbit... I was listening to one of their albums when I started reading the book for the first time

- "Jotun" by In Flames always brings a smile to my face... it was the first "metal" song I got Jess into when we started dating

- I haven't been able to listen to the song "Space Die Vest" by Dream Theater completely for about 8 years. I had been listening to that song before attempting to take my on life when I was 19 (the attempt was unrelated to the song, just coincidental timing)

- Whenever I listen to Chainheart era Soilwork, I remember driving to Canberra for gigs with Apolyom

So I've listed my more obvious ones.... anyone going to list their's?

2. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

Spread Eagle-s/t (first side of the cassette) and loss of virginity.

3. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

*cough*

But on topic: I generally relate a lot of songs with seeing a band live for first time and the feelings experienced.

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

System of a Down = Tony Hawk Underground on PS1

Hell yeahz.

5. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

Metallica S&M reminds me of Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 2.
    Helloween- I Want Out reminds me of Year 12.
    Dungeon - Resurrection [the first few songs of the album] reminds me of an awesome time of my life, in Melbourne.

6. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

Metallica - Enter Sandman.... Reminds me of when i first got into metal as a kid growing up on the Central Coast, skateboarding around town with my walkman on.

Korn - Clown.... Reminds me of when i was about 10 and tuning my acoustic down to like B flat trying to play the first Korn album.

silverchair - Roses.... Reminds me of being 9 years old thinking they were good... also reminds me of having to play songs off Freakshow in the band i was in at school in year 9 and 10.

Testament - Return to Serenity & The Legacy... Reminds me of a time when i thought ballads and slow songs sucked except for Fade to Black, then someone, maybe one of my cousin's friends played me these 2 songs back when i was about 9.

Ozzy - Over The Mountain... Reminds me of how much Randy Rhoads was a bad ass motherfucker on guitar, and constantly motivates me to be as good as he was. All the over the top DragonForce shit is ok, but Randy played the shit out of his guitar and every note MEANT something. Probably my favourite guitarist of all time.

Pantera - Every Song.... Reminds me of when i heard the bad news, and of how awesome Dime was at guitar. He made blues licks sound more technical and shredding than the most complex MAB modal sweep shit. And motivates me to practice my arse off, but also to never forget to have fun and enjoy shit more.

7. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I still think most slow songs suck. :) I do like quite a lot of them, but they have to be awesome to avoid my finger pressing that skip button.

8. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

:worship: