This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metal at Millennium Park: Doom + Dio + Debutantes

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by skyrefuge, Jul 16, 2010.

1. skyrefuge

skyrefuge Member

I wrote this up for PM:X2, but figured I can get double-duty out of it here; hopefully it's interesting to some.

================================================

On Sunday night, violinist Rachel Barton-Pine was honored as a "Great Performer of Illinois", and gave a special 3-part concert at Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago's Millennium Park. Among non-music-snobs, she's locally best known for badly losing a fight with a Metra train back in the '90s, but once you see her play you quickly forget how you first heard about her.

Millennium Park is Chicago's new jewel on the lakefront, a center of high culture and civilization in the heart of the city, and the park is dominated by Frank Gehry's Pritzker Pavilion, one of the most dramatic stages in the world:
    [​IMG]

On this stage, Barton-Pine would play three sets with three different groups (and do three wardrobe changes).

First, baroque Trio Settecento:
    [​IMG]

Then, some Tchaikovsky with the Illinois Symphony Orchestra:
    [​IMG]

And finally with Earthen Grave, her doom/thrash metal band:
    [​IMG]

This is the fourth time I've seen Earthen Grave perform. Since the first time, I've said that they're a band with international potential, and this performance did nothing to change my mind.

Despite being the first metal band to ever play at Millennium Park, and an audience who listens to a whole lot more NPR than RebelRadio, they pulled no punches and softened no edges, sending full-volume metal out to boom off the downtown skyscrapers.

The highlight of this show was a cover of Rainbow's "Stargazer". Three more players came out to form a strinq quartet with Rachel; I'd been secretly hoping they'd bring the whole orchestra back out to join them for a song, but this was the second best thing. And the singer, who can sometimes be a bit iffy, ended up doing a very respectable tribute to Dio. Some years ago, in a pretentious effort to hold myself aloof from the Mindless Metal Masses, I stopped throwing the horns, but this was one of the rare occasions where I couldn't help bustin' 'em out again.

Here's the pro-shot video of "Stargazer":

And again, Bruce Franklin also joined 'em for some Trouble songs.

It was a rainy Sunday night, and people had been slowly trickling away all evening, so what might have been a crowd of 1000+ was down to 500 by the time Earthen Grave started. Then there were certainly some who gave them a song or two, said "I do declare, that is QUITE enough!", and beat a hasty retreat. But the vast majority stayed, and even seemed to enjoy themselves, though not many figured out that you could stand up and headbang. There was a group of 5 or 10 near me who were up out of the chairs (myself included of course), but the rest of the audience sat politely and listened.

At least The Dude was there to rock out:
    [​IMG]

Other interesting sights/moments:

- Sprinkled amongst the civilized crowd, one out of every 100 people I saw was a familiar face from "the metal scene". Sleeper cells, out of their element, (not-so) secretly infiltrating mainstream civilization, waiting patiently for the signal from their leaders to activate and...start a massive mosh pit?

- Related, this is probably the first time in history that someone wearing a DYING FETUS shirt was seen walking amongst an audience listening to an orchestra play Tchaikovsky.

- The conductor of the Illinois Symphony standing appreciatively (as were other orchestra members) in the wings and shooting video:
    [​IMG]

Heck of a night, and it was free!

They finally have good versions of their songs (including their sweet Witchfinder General and Pentagram covers) at http://www.facebook.com/earthengrave (no membership required).

Neil

#1 skyrefuge, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

That venue looks amazing.

3. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

I just heard about this last night. Really cool.

4. OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver BECAUSE FALCONER

5. AirGuitarLoonhouse

AirGuitarLoonhouse Professional Headbanger

Very cool. Have not followed her recently. I remember back in the late 90s she was doing Metallica on radio and around town. Here is a vid of her doing some Pantera.

#5 AirGuitarLoonhouse, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. Osiris' Eyes

Osiris' Eyes El Duderino

This is cool..would love to go since I live downtown and could walk there...but a little something else is taking place that evening in the southern suburbs: \m/

[​IMG]

7. J. Golden

J. Golden Heaven and Hell Records

That is pretty cool. As 'Stargazer' got further into the song they all got better with it. Rea;;y nice.

8. Scott H

Scott H Member

Mindwarp Chamber and Earthen Grave are playing together tonight at Reggie's Rock Club in Chicago. It's the 4th annual Metal Mergence heavy metal music conference. This our third year in a row playing this, it's always been a blast

8:30 pm – 8:55 pm FIRST JASON

9:10 pm – 9:35 pm MALAS

9:50 pm – 10:15 pm FALSEFACED

10:30 pm – 11:00 pm MINDWARP CHAMBER

11:15 pm – 11:50 pm EARTHEN GRAVE

12:05 am – 12:45 am LAIR OF THE MINOTAUR

1:00 am - 1:35 am SOULS DEMISE

Streaming live tonight http://www.ustream.tv/channel/reggieslive

More info

FRIDAY, JULY 16TH: A NIGHT OF NETWORK NAPALM! Monsterman Graphic, Dark Star Records, Chicago Metal factory & Las Divas Promotions presents:

The 4th Annual Metal Mergence: Chicago's Heavy Metal Conference. Graphic Artists, Record labels/ Booking reps, Live bands, PRO Q & A panel & more… Hosted by Ari Lehman The 1st Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th!

Live performances by: SOULS DEMISE, LAIR OF THE MINOTAUR, EARTHEN GRAVE, MINDWARP CHAMBER, FALSEFACED, MALAS, FIRST JASON

The Metal Gods are back with a vengeance, inspiring musicians, graphic artists, record labels & booking agents to bring the hammer down at the 4th Annual "Metal Mergence"! The 1 night only Networking conference will give top & upcoming talent in the Heavy Metal community a chance to showcase their work, meet record labels, booking reps and find graphic artists to assist their music projects. Art Exhibit by renowned CD artists, label reps & booking reps accepting demos, Celebrity guests in a pro Q & A answering all your questions about the metal biz, PLUS a live performance line up that will go down in Heavy Metal History! Join us Friday, July 16th for a night of network napalm when The 4th Annual Metal Mergence invades the legendary Reggie’s Rock room in the heart of Chicago!

FRIDAY, July 16, 2010, Reggies Rock Club

2109 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois 60616

Doors open 8 pm $10 admission 17 + (must provide proper ID)

REPS & PROS CONFIRMED: Monsterman Graphic, Brad Moore’s Illustration Station, F3 Studios, Dark Star Records, Pitch Black Productions, Metal Fury Promotions, Jen X Promotions, Las Divas Promotions, Rebel Radio, Horror Avenue Bookings, & more to come! To see all the confirmed pros for more information visit www.myspace.com/metalmergence, http://www.facebook.com/metalmergence.com or call 773 857 2172…

9. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

I read about this earlier in the week.
    I wish I had known about it.
    Earthen Grave are great live.
    Their CD Dismal Times is quite stellar.
    Depending on how they market themselves, this band could be huge. (though Rachel has an intense schedule)

10. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I'm with you. I totally would've gone to this had I known about it. A friend of mine has told me to try to catch a show there sometime, so I'm pissed I missed this. Definitely a band with a lot of potential. I need to pick up their disc at some point or another.

11. skyrefuge

skyrefuge Member

Time for ProgPower to return to Chicago? :loco:

It doesn't just look amazing, it sounds amazing too. With the trellis supporting overhead speakers all the way back on the lawn, the sound is always plenty loud and clear, and they somehow create the illusion that it's all coming directly from the stage, even when you're 200 yards away.

heh...I know I wasn't too clear in the text, but I thought the pictures and stuff would make it obvious that the Earthen Grave show already happened, *last* Sunday. You know, since my time machine hasn't been delivered yet. :D

It would have been an interesting dilemma if it had been on the same night as the Maiden show...I guess I'll be able to speak more definitively tomorrow, but I'm thinking I would have skipped Maiden. Heck, the difference in venue alone would probably be enough to sway me!

Agreed. I had a little feeling that due to the size of the stage/venue, the delay/echoing was making it a little hard for them to stay locked in all the time. But from the instrumental break down through the vocal riffing at the end, it was excellent.

Neil

12. shreddy

shreddy Member

As Scott posted we played with Earthen Grave just a few days after that show. We've done a few shows with them and they get better and better with each set. They have been thinking about recording Stargazer, that would be pretty awesome.