This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metal Toms - Muting or no?

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Ermz, Aug 8, 2006.

1. LynchpiN

LynchpiN Don't like presets.

Double post. D'oh.

2. LynchpiN

LynchpiN Don't like presets.

I find the Tension Watch to be the most useful to mantain the same tension in all of the screws, and also to keep/check the tuning through a session.

I like tuning the drums a bit lower and muffling the resonating head, BUT...

I suck at tuning drums myself, specially when I must do so from scratch. In terms of the Tension Watch, do you guys have any observations on tension samples (different than those at the Tama website) as a starting point?

3. MKS

MKS Member

I had a tension watch and hated it and sold it. Couple years later I purchased a Drum Dial. Seems to be very accurate and I like the rim spacer. My tension watch didn't have that.

One thing I learned this weekend was to put the DD between two lugs and tune this slightly back and forth until I got the right tension. Then do the two lugs directly across from them. Then once they were all set I would fine tune each lug. Once they were set, if I set the DD in the middle of the drum, it matched to tension of all the lugs.

I'm going to give moon gel a shot. I have some o-rings but they tend to "fart" on some drums. As if the rims are slightly larger, they tend vibrate an generate and annoying sound.