This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to the Madhouse

Want to help spread the disease my friend? Sign up today!

Metal - you're guilty pleasures

Discussion in 'Anthrax' started by aliasp, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ThraxSA

ThraxSA Member

Stryper, Deliverance, Tourniquet, Slipknot (for so called nu metal, they sounds pretty good Joey the drummer is one of the best drummers I have heard).

My wife got the Pussycat Dolls cd and I found myself singing to it and looking at the pictures on the booklet of course.

2. reidie

reidie Member

Prom queen???! your friends were right, you are an emo! :lol:

as for guilty pleasures, i'm partial to a bit of kenny rodgers..... oh yeah and joey era anthrax :rolleyes:

3. sufferer

sufferer Member

I like Jimmy Buffett, would love to see him live one day. I even have a live DVD. His CD's come right after Biohazard in my CD collection. Yes I alphabatize my CD's, easier to find what you're looking for when you're hammered:headbang:

4. dailyvault

dailyvault 35 and counting...

Hey, MyHatred - you ever listen to John Zorn's project Naked City? They were out of their fucking minds! Rock to light jazz to grindcore - often in the same song. Their self-titled release is still one of my favorites. (Their other albums are harder to find - on smaller labels.)

Totally agree with you on George Benson as well - one of the greatest jazz guitarists out there. There's a high school kid on a small Illinois label, named Isaiah Sharkey, who's very much in the Benson vein in his playing. He did a solo when I interviewed him at the station that was totally improvised - almost had me in tears, it was so beautiful. If there's any justice in the world, that kid is going to be a mega-star.

5. aliasp

aliasp Old School since '86

Some great comments and bands/singers in here. Very true about not being ashamed - just rather things we get stick for listening too.

I really got a thing for old school musicians ala Mike Oldfield, Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis.

Ennio Morricone as well. John Williams.

6. carpna

carpna Member

i listen to everything but country. i listen to Prince,Hall & Oates,Phil Collins,Huey Lewis,Ice Cube,DMX,Fergie(my wife bought it, its ok)Brandy,JT(hated the backdoor boys but this cd was ok also),STP,Soundgarden,AIC,Slaughter,Skid Row,M.Crue,From Zero,Souls at Zero aka Wrathchild A merica,Forbidden,Metal Church,Voivod,Sepultura to name a few but those are the style of music i listen to.

7. Arg_Hamster

Arg_Hamster Not quite done yet...

Yeah, I thought the video for Mean Machine ruled. My youngest kid sister were into them.

I always had a thing for Londonbeat. And I think Offsprings Ignition-album is quite good too. Skid Rows Slave to the grind and B-sides ourselves had some swinging stuff on them.

8. Social Distortion

Social Distortion The Voice of Reason

The bands that I like that "true metal people" would never ever approve are Bon Jovi, Offspring and some others.

9. Gibba

Gibba Member

I'm lying in bed listening to some old Motown hits right now. And it's nice.

10. Mickenglanduk

Mickenglanduk Member

Arg Hamster, I just love the Batman beating the shark clip:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for myself, my non-metal musical pleasures include The Eagles, The Beatles, Queen, Sheryl Crow, Oasis, Pink Floyd and also I've been listening to quite a bit of old Status Quo just recently, that old shit just rocks:headbang:

11. Arg_Hamster

Arg_Hamster Not quite done yet...

Pink Floyd wrote some great stuff.

This is not a guilty pleasure at all, Sparks. Fucking brilliant!

12. Mickenglanduk

Mickenglanduk Member

I certainly ain't guilty, people shouldn't be ashamed of the music they listen to. Music is only a sound after all

13. karrokid

karrokid freelance jackass

well maybe, i am listening to the bangels greatest hits right now :lol:

14. ingenkommentar

I love jazz, but that's not something I'm ashamed of, I just told you because jazz hasn't appeared here yet :)

15. dailyvault

dailyvault 35 and counting...

Absolutely love jazz... the stinkier, the better. I absolutely love Miles Davis, Bill Evans and Thelonious Monk.

One guy I've never really been able to get into, though, is John Coltrane. I have his 4-CD "Live In Japan" set, and the first track sounds like he's blowing his nose through the saxophone at times.

Oh - let's throw Yes in the "guilty pleasures" column. Saw them in Chicago in 2002 - absolutely purest sounding concert I've ever been to in my life. I actually have the bootleg of that show. Marillion, too - I like the Steve Hogarth era a little more than the Fish. "Marbles" was fucking brilliant.

16. MikeyBong

MikeyBong Member

I love some of that stuff! The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder...etc.

17. DarbysDad

DarbysDad Timmy! Timmy!!! Timmy!!!

After you do the whipping you can do the :kickass: :kickass: and :Smokin: :Smokin:

18. MikeyBong

MikeyBong Member

Right, and then the :puke: :lol:

19. eighteeschick

eighteeschick Member

I had to think about what would be considered a guilty pleasure because, like everyone else, I like what I like and that's it. Here we go: Puddle of Mud, AFI, Offspring, Rancid, Good Charlotte and my 80s hair bands.

20. ITS AN OUTHOUSE!

ITS AN OUTHOUSE! ...or so they claim

The only thing im actually embarassed about is video game music, like super nintendo/ genesis games (battletoads, thunder force IV, maximum carnage etc).