This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metallica - My Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by jhrv, Aug 26, 2008.

1. wishtheend

wishtheend clip the apex

SLAYER!!!!!!! :kickass:
    oh wait.... nevermind

Honestly, I dig it it didn't blow my mind, but I could easily rock the fuck out to this at a concert. Very thrash, not a bunch of filler. As for Lars, everyone knows he can't cut it - at least he's just playing a simple beat he can nail instead of trying to play stuff he can't pull of live. As long as he's keeping time I'm down.

2. blueswede

blueswede Member

Where is the melody, where are the hooks that makes you wanna listen to the song again ? They obviously lost it all a long time ago. Cliff brought everything that Metallica was into the grave. R.I.P

3. Notuern

Notuern Bloody vaginal belch

Although this song wasnt really metallica-good, it still was a good song. :)
    I would have liked it more if it was some other band playing it.

4. Andy Sneap

Andy Sneap Metal Guru

Dan, I couldnt agree more with your comments, spot on.

5. Meisterjäger

Meisterjäger Douchebag

... Small sized sleeveless shirts do look better on the shoulders?

6. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

+1

Nothing wrong with some regular conversations sometimes ... makes the classes and homework more interesting

7. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

haha!

I remember an interview with Metallica, (possibly 8 years ago but I can't remember for sure) where Hetfield said that on 'And Justice For All' they tried to cram in as many riffs as possible into every song. He didn't necessarily mean it in a GOOD way.
    But I reckon back in 1988 they must have been writing the likes of 'blackened' and 'shortest straw' going "Man these riffs are so brilliant we have to include every one", whereas these days it's more a case of "I've written lots of riffs so lets just use them all"; which adds up to long songs of "inconsistant" quality. Especially when the producer doesn't bother to do any proper producing as such...

Metallica have always been ones to use EVERYTHING they ever wrote. They were so confident in everything they wrote that they didn't have any average songs* to put out as 'b-side' until 1996... and even then those b-sides ended up becoming Re-load (which are arguably decent songs, especially considering they were mostly Load rejects).

As much as I absolutely love pro-tools, I don't think the sheer ease of copying and pasting various riffs willy-nilly helps aging bands with dwindling creative abilities.

*ok, there were a few -but the likes of "Escape" were pretty rare.

8. Skinny Viking

I like "Escape"

not really disagreeing with anything you're saying, just pointing out that what one person thinks might be average, another person might really like. Music is subjective.

9. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

I've never been into that major key chorus or the "see them try to bring the hammer down" bit.. but I'm not gonna knock anyone for liking it! But even as a kid I thought that song was weaker than most.

However, it speaks volumes about the quality of Metallica's 83-91 output if I have to take the piss out of 'escape' to prove a point!

The whole "music-is-subjective" thing is something I totally agree with, and try and preach as much as possible; horses for courses and all that. But at the same time, if you can back up your personal opinions with valid and rational reasoning, then a certain level of objectivity can be brought into the equation.

10. Skinny Viking

Hmmmm, indeed

Bully for you!

And I know what you mean in that as an example, its a weaker song than say "Creeping Death" ... all I was saying is that I think its still a solid tune, just got squashed between a couple of classics, making it the middle child

As for major key choruseseseses ... I think they can be pretty effective at helping accentuate the darker parts of a song. Again, all opinions, horses, strokes, etc ...

Cheers!

11. STINNETT

STINNETT Bad / Nationwide

Well I like this one better than the first two. Sounds a little more coherent, and I actually like some of the riffs. They don't knock my head off or anything, but they're not too bad. James sounds better on some parts, but there are still some terrible sounding lines that shouldn't be in there.

The stand out suckage on this one is Lars in my opinion. That incessant skank beat gets pretty boring, and a close second is that guitar solo. Yuck.

To me, this sounds like Metallica covering another band; like it might have been on Garage Days or something. It doesn't sound like their style, maybe that's why it seems that way to me.

Then again....I don't understand their style anymore.

12. if6was9

if6was9 Ireland

am- I still think that snare sounds awful- its sound exactly like the crap snare on st anger just without the ringing ping thing.
    I think they would have been alot better off going for a more normal, modern metal production/mix, the song itself seems alright, better than st anger by a load ( pardon the pun!) but I wouldn't go comparing it to master of puppets or justice

13. STINNETT

STINNETT Bad / Nationwide

Yeah, the first two songs did nothing for me, but with this one I would actually say that they have actually done something better than Taint Anger.

14. Carcass29

Carcass29 3oIF

15. whitedamp

whitedamp Member

This song would kickass if it had finished on 2:00. I loved the aggressive chorus.

16. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

I was hoping it was going to be different for the other songs besides TDTNC, but sadly not...:( Everythings bone dry :cry::cry:

17. JoshSylosis

JoshSylosis Member

18. Exocaster

Exocaster Nozzle

I'm actually looking forward to hearing proper versions of these songs because of this. I like the dry mix and the ringing snare. They have a long habit of having fairly unconventional mixes (not always good, mind you, though a few are fantastic) and I've been curious to hear the typical bone dry Rick Rubin treatment on their gear collection.

19. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

EDITED: other picture, same meaning;)
    [​IMG]

20. Skinny Viking

:rolleyes:Ohhhh-Kaaaaaayyyyyyyyy:rolleyes: