This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metallica - My Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by jhrv, Aug 26, 2008.

1. robfromthedeep

Haha!

To be honest, love them or hate them most people do have strong opinions on Metallica, and all threads about them have a wide range of views... if you hate how people analyse Metallica... just DON'T click on the thread. You knew what to expect. :)

2. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

I think most of us on here are musicians ... the important thing is to remember that if you look at things with too narrow a field of vision you can lose sight of the bigger picture.

Why not try making a detailed post about why the production of the song appeals to you, or what it is about the playing/structure/performance of the song you find great vs. what others have said they don't like about it

constructive, it leads to much better discussions and who knows, maybe something someone else says may cause you to look at it from a different point of view. Its always good to look at things from multiple angles, even if you don't always agree on which angle is the best

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

ok, i'll try.

4. Andy Sneap

Andy Sneap Metal Guru

carry on being a dick and you're out of here, I welcome open discussion and a laugh here but you're just being a jerk. your choice.

5. kev

kev Im guybrush threepwood

Well, i think its the best ive heard from this album so far, maybe its picking up. To what do we owe all this sneapster activity of late! : D

6. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

@Skinny Viking, Metalhead28 & Andy

i am afraid it will not, but i still hope this will show that I am not the (only) dick here.
    here we go, i picked out the PROPER RESONING;)

"After hearing this, I think I won't even check out the new Metallica album ..."

i am trying, but how to comment this?

"Yeah, I don´t like that mix at all, it´s a real shame!"

same here.

"Where is the melody, where are the hooks that makes you wanna listen to the song again ? They obviously lost it all a long time ago. Cliff brought everything that Metallica was into the grave. R.I.P"

wasn't the melody you (or someone else) hated on TDTNC?
    this is thrash, i am not an expert but i think melody is not the man subject for thrash metal:)

"this st. anger pic posted by Carcass29"
    strange that nobody is getting mad about this, i mean it's a cock picture, i general the same thing i posted.

i tried and i failed!
    how to get a nice discussion if all the opinions...:)

7. STINNETT

STINNETT Bad / Nationwide

What exactly would constitute proper reasoning in your book? If I say that I think the drumming is terrible, the guitar solo sucks, and that James vocals sound silly at times - thus impacting my overall enjoyment of the song - why is that not proper reasoning?

Do I need to write you an essay?

8. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

yeah you are posting it NOW, if you had posted it right at the beginning i would't
    have any problem with it. but c'mon, look at the posts i quoted, is this proper reasoning? a picture with an angry penis():D and the DM album cover..NO it's not!

9. STINNETT

Uhh...did you read my earlier post?

That's pretty much exactly what I said.

10. Skinny Viking

if you noticed, that post was pretty much ignored and maybe he got the point

he didn't go on to become belligerent with everyone as you've been doing

you're not a victim here so you shouldn't waste your time trying to point fingers at others

Dude, its like this ... I've never seen Andy personally threaten to kick someone off the forum ... granted, I've only been a part of it for like a year but still, I've never seen that before ... you should take notice

11. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

did i quote this? no:)
    did i say it's a "shitty opinion" no!:)

the first few posts just made me mad...andy's reverb comment had a really
    strange arrogance (arrogance is a really strong word, unfortunatelly i don't know a word that is less negative. please don't get it wrong!) IMHO!

12. STINNETT

You act like people are talking about your mother. :lol:

And what's wrong with Andy Sneap of all people making a production related comment? If he thinks the song needs some reverb to sound better than it's a totally legitimate comment.

I don't even think Lars would get this butt-hurt over this thread. :)

13. Skinny Viking

Andy can back up his comments with his work. Kannst du?

Its not arrogant, its his thoughts and opinion as a successful engineer & producer. He's saying that the sound could have been helped with reverb ... that it may have been more harmful than good for them to go with such a dry sound.

Why not put up something you have done, to show the rest of us where your argument for the dry sound comes from?

What point are you trying to make? He's an engineer of course he's going to have an opinion on what he thinks would have sounded better. And we can listen to the MANY releases he's been a part of to hear why his opinion carries the weight that it does.

14. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

@Viking
    i am not pointing fingers at others, i am just trying to "avoid" the fingers pointied at me.
    as is said arrogant is the wrong word,i lost my dictionary so it's hard to find a better fitting one:D
    i don't like the dry sound also btw.

@Metalhead
    it's in my nature, i am the asserter of right und truth.:D
    andys post does not "sound" like there is no reverb.
    it sounds more like "they are not able to put reverb in there because the suck" IMHO!

i am sitting here with a broken arm, haven't touched a guitar for weeks.
    i'm just bored and pissed,
    well yeah maybe my reactions were a little bit too excessive.

sorry guys, sorry andy!

15. Skinny Viking

Ok I have a very simple solution for you because I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as far as your misinterpretation of some people's statements due to your english skills (that is NOT an insult in any way, your english is better than mein deutsch) ...

Ask someone what they mean or to explain themselves a little more if you're unsure what their comment might mean. Don't accuse, just ask.

That will go a long way in you avoiding misunderstandings with people .. just ask. I can't imagine a single person here that wouldn't take the time to explain themselves better if you showed interest in their opinion.

16. Andy Sneap

Andy Sneap Metal Guru

thats ok, just keep it clean.

Lets face it, we all want the same thing, a good sounding well written album, they are huge so its bound to be something of great interest and debate.

17. Metal Overload

Metallica Isn´t Thrash anymore, don´t say that. in other point, Thrash can have some melody.

18. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

metallica never used to play that boring "standard thrash" IMHO!
    if you search for melody in thrash music
    metallica's first records are the first ones you should look for.
    i am not saying that they "invented" it,
    they just made the best examples for this IMHO!

19. felipe-x

felipe-x Member

why a big band as metallica need to do thrash now after more than 20 years doing it? they can do even pop if they want... cause st.anger was aggro and everybody love that album for some reason, and they say that " metallica is back " WTF? i hate st.anger so much, i love load and reload.. and i like allot the new songs...

so if you dont like this songs, load + reaload, i can swear that you people LOVE st.anger...

amen.

20. grywolf627

grywolf627 Member

Well, not quite true...at least in my case. I personally don't like any of those mentioned albums. While I love Justice and especially the Black album, my favorite always will be the Cliffie era material.