This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metallica - My Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by jhrv, Aug 26, 2008.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

i really like the load/reload cd's but they also have a few really boring and shitty songs.
    does this make them bad albums?
    ...maybe but who cares about that?
    there are a few really good songs on load/reload and that's what's important IMHO!
    imagine a classic metal compilation CD. would you say such a cd is a good album?
    i would say hell no, but this does not mean that the different songs are crap;)

2. EerieVon

EerieVon Member

I think alot of the disappointment with Metallica since AJFA (for some) and Black album(for others) has been the fact everything prior to that point you could listen to the the entire album and be satisfied, it wasnt a good song here and a shitty song there. The first 4 (or 5) albums were solid start to finish whereas now you have to skip around the album to find the good songs. Same can be said about other old school bands like Slayer for example, most everything leading upto and including Seasons I could listen to the entire way through and like each song, same can be said of Anthrax. The reason why so much focus is on Metallica is that they were the biggest and best out of the "big 4", and such high standards were attached to them

3. EdSOE

EdSOE Absolution of Humanity

...much better than: "The day that"...or "Cyanide"!

Are they triyng too hard to get back the "old sound / feeling"? IMO sounds good but nothing coming out straight from their hearts.

4. Chryst Krispies

Chryst Krispies Vanilla Gorilla

The only shize factor is and always will be QUIRK SLAMMITT's licks.

5. Radd

Radd Self Portrait

Lars: "I can honestly say that this album is the best album we could possibly have made."

I'm not sure how to read into that but in my mind, it's not good.
    The vids are worth checking out in relevance to this thread.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103407

Personally, I'm not feeling any of the new stuff at all. I will continue to listen and try to be open minded. The album title is starting to grow on me so maybe the music will as well. I keep thinking, "at least they're trying" and they're still together making music but at the same time I almost don't even care anymore and that alone sucks. :cry:

6. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

Whats that?

7. Torniojaws

Torniojaws They call me Juha

8. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Except Andy's one is much more manly

[​IMG]

9. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

OTHER THAN MY PARENTS, PRETTY MUCH NOTHING HAS HAD A BIGGER IMPACT ON MY LIFE THAN METALLICA

Furthermore, Metallica - arguably the most influential metal band in history - only release an album about twice a decade.

With those two points in mind: Good or bad, a new Metallica is a big deal to me as it is to a lot of people on here.
    Therefore I think that every once in a while, a few heavily overly opinionated comments about them on a music forum is more than acceptable. After all, you don't even have to open the thread if you don't want to read about it...

10. izzyrock

izzyrock Chilean Rocker

Thats what I thought a few months ago before listening to the new songs.... "Randy Staub should have mixed it "

It doesnt sound good. at all.

11. kaomao

kaomao Member

Yeah it sounds like shit, of course is better than Saint Anger, but still hurts the butt of good producers worldwide lol yeah it's a pain in the arse.
    Come on with all the money they got they have a very bad sound.... it's like giving the album to a drunk tramp and ask him to mix it lol
    maybe I will buy it, I hope there are more songs like this one on the record ;)

12. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

OMFG!
    do you guys really think that this is the FINAL CD sound?
    HAHAHAHA!:D

13. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Well isn't it a trademark of most of Rubin's records to sound quite arse? From what I gathered the strength was in the production, which in this case I don't particularly feel.

To keep it on topic... to paraphrase something I wrote on another forum... I hate that Metallica still get all this attention when there are mega talented local bands/artists vying for it only a few clicks away, yet get largely ignored. It seems symptomatic of a wider problem we have with the industry, with the folks who own all the promotion and marketing essentially being able to divert attention at whim. It seems all the mechanisms are in place for people to be force fed whatever the industry wants, and be content with it. I find it hard to believe that music of this caliber is even getting the time of day, but hey... it's Metallica, and that seems to mean the world...

Although note that I'm one of the few that was never a Metallica fan, at any point, so I never really got the deal with them.

14. MetalSound

MetalSound Member

YEAH!!!!

I absolutely agree on this man! If a no name band had recorded an album like St. Anger nobody would have even cared.

15. dan weapon

That is because the no name band in question wouldn't have had so much impact on the world in the first place, and millions of people wouldn't be obsessed with them or consider them an important part of their life.

Let me put it into context with a couple of different anologies:

1) A random person gets stabbed in London. You think it's a shame, but life goes on and you forget about it the following day.
    Your brother/best friend gets stabbed; it's a big fucking deal and you're gonna be thinking about it for the rest of your life. Because the latter is someone who has been massively important in your life.

2) Scunthorpe utd get relegated from whatever rubbish division they are in. I don't give a fuck. Never supported them, and I don't care.
    Tottenham Hotspur get relegated from the Premiership, and it's a BIG deal to me. Supported them all my life, things were looking up at one point but now they've let me down. I'm absolutely gutted.
    (sorry about the football reference to none 'soccer' loving people)

My point being that to some people such as myself, Metallica are more than just a band; they are a massive part of life and therefore whatever they do is going to be hugely important, whether it is gold or shit.

But I understand where you are coming from, and I totally agree that if a random no-name band released st anger no one would have cared. HOWEVER, saying that you should give Metallica the same level of criticism as a random no-name band is as ridiulous as saying that the death and celebration of Dimebag Darrell should be compared to the death of Jim Smith, the bass player of your local pub covers band.

In a slightly similar vein, I was listening to the new sylosis tracks yesterday thinking, man if Metallica released this it would be fucking INCREDIBLE! It would be the return to form record of all time. It would get 10/10 and be every metal magazine's album of the year. But that's not how it works. You judge these bands on totally different scales, because with absolutely no disrespect to Sylosis, they haven't had anywhere near as much impact on my life (and infinity billions of others) as Metallica have!

16. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

I knew Jim, he was a good man :(

he had big hands, like catchers mitts, great for playing bass

heart of gold, damn fine man

:D

Aside from that, I agree with your points but then again, I wasn't disagreeing in the 1st place. Just the Jim Smith thing got me choked up for a sec

17. dan weapon

Rumour has it, it was he who taught Cliff how to play...

:D

18. Andy Sneap

Andy Sneap Metal Guru

19. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

I can't talk about it anymore right now ... the loss is still too painful :(

Dan will have to tell you what happened

20. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

Wow I missed all the fun. It was because the thread said Metallica and the last thread that said Metallica was very disappointing. This thread got 4 pages long, so I checked it out.

The song doesn't work for me. *crickets* To each there own. I am now done with Metallica. Even tho they where one of the few bands that got me into music.