This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metallica - St. Anger (Album)

Discussion in 'Your Reviews' started by edwardgein, Jun 3, 2003.

1. edwardgein

edwardgein systematic.restart.

Musicainship: 6/10
    Lyrically: 4/10
    Metallica rating: 4/10
    Overall rating: 5/10

As any sane person would know, the release of the highly anticipated "St. Anger" would cause a division amongst new and old metallica fans. Many of the old fans instantly dislike this album and would gladly see Metallica sitting in a studio talking to the cameras of "VH1's Behind the Music" than seeing them try to record an album that claims to be their "heaviest in years". We all know what Metallica "haters" think but what about judging it unbaisly? How would the album be then?

When you compare "St. Anger" to "Load/Reload" it truly IS their heaviest album in years, but when compared to anything before "Load/Reload" it is their weakest release ever. I found myself actually stopping winamp to take a breather due to the albums constant bombardment of overly heavy guitars and high treble snare drums. The song themes are almost constant, and go with the title name, and sometimes it does get old so if you are able to tune out lyrics then musically it is an o.k. album. This is the first flaw on the album though, lyrics.

The lyrics for "St. Anger" are very weak and don't even match up to anything they used to sing about before (even "Load/Reload" have better lyrics). Many of the lyrics come off very childish and very teenangst-like, e.g. "My lifestyle defines my death style", "I'm madly in anger with you", and "Kill! KILL! KILLLLL!!!!!" These type of lyrics are something that you would find in a Limp Bizkit album, e.g. "I'm a crack addict.... I'm addicted to crackin' skulls" (true lyrics from Limp Bizkit) or in any other modern, mainsteam metal group. These types of lyrics take alot away from the album in the form of credibility.

The music in the album is pretty decent. Its very heavy and fast t times, but what hurts this album alot more than the lyrics are the song structure. Many of times the songs on "St. Anger" go from heavy thrash like speeds to melodic, emotional, soul exposing tempos but at odd times. If this was an attempt to making the album "complex" it failed on this point. Metallica has in the past done melodic piece of work but never in "stop n' go" fashion. This instantly takes away from its strength and makes the album a bit hard to grasp. The time length in the songs also hurts this because they try to make an epic song, epic being over 5 minutes, while still trying to retain their "thrash" tempo and at the same time trying to project moments of emotion all in one huge mesh. Many of times I found myself looking at winamp trying to see how much time was left on the song before the next 6 - 8 minute song began. The last thing that hurts this album in a powerful way is the lack of guitar solos, which were Metallica's calling card back in the day. I honestly believe that the guitar solo would have actually helped this album greatly and would have reduced the moments of bordum by at least 40%.

Overall, the album is a heavy album but still not a good one. There are many flaws in it and at times it sounded like I was listening to a Slipknot song due to its style of play and tempo. For someone who is barely getting into Metallica this is a good introduction album but not a fair one that will clearly display the real potential of this legendary band.

2. asphyXy

asphyXy Clad in Shadows

decent review. the vocals are terrible in it. i wouldn't go higher than 4/10 for any category, though.

3. \m/

\m/ I Die Slowly

Excellent review, I agree totally with everything you wrote, I had to stop the music because it dragged on. I'll sum the cd up to everyone by comparing it to COC's last few cds, long boring, dragging on southern, fat sounding distortion, with guitars chugging to Lars boring drums, I feel like drinking something really cold for some reason, because listening to this cd makes me feel like i'm stuck in a desert with no water for a month (lol) go figure! I give it an overall rating of 4/10

What was Kirk doing during the recording of the album, supplying the band blowjobs? there isn't even a damn solo on the whole cd! was he really needed?

4. edwardgein

Thanks, I know that there are alot of "St. Anger sucks" threads but I downloaded it and I know it sounds a bit rough, but not so rough mixed that the track "st. Anger" sounded exactly like what I've heard on tv and radio, so I thought I'd write a very honest review of it, as a music lover, and not a metallica hater.

5. Neurotic

Neurotic New Millenium Christ

this album really sucks, this sounds like they were playing in their garage when they recorded it, the riffs are so uninspired, man it really sucks, load is better then this crap anyday, this is metal,but really bad metal, everything sucks on this album, metallica sounds like a garage band now:OMG: i think 4/10 is kind of being nice to the guys because of their past, i even had to stop listening to it cuz it sounds really bad. they should called it day,they have lost it!

6. \m/

\m/ I Die Slowly

St.Anger should gave been called Unload, at least Load and Reload had half decent songs like Fixxxer, Outlaw torn, Bleeding Me! The only song I could almost listen to is Frantic. I actually deleted the MP3s. I actually like Anders/Passenger's new cd, its awesome compared to this shit!

7. speed

speed Member

It sucks pretty bad- the amazing thing is just how bad the drumming is- Lars has never sounded worse- and the production on his drums is awful- apparently he got his comeuppance from the Justice Production.

Sweet Amber is a decent song- it sounds like an attempt at Meshuggah- even the vocals have a Meshuggah- nesue feeling to them.

Better than Reload- and maybe Load- they are all so bad it is hard to judge

8. Medion

Medion Member

this is just another metallica-album. if the sound was better, you'd complain about them being "polished" once again, if the songs were shorter you'd complain about them being simple, if there was a ballad you'd complain about them being commercial...
    this is the perhaps best-selling "extreme" metal-release ever, so what do you complain about?!?

9. skeptik

skeptik Member

I have never heard anything so bad that I had to stop the song to catch my breath or have a cold drink, maybe you people are just out of shape? Anyway, yes it is not what Metallica has stood for in their first decade, and yes, it is Metal, but, no, it is not good Metal, no, it is definitely not Metallica Metal. There are a few 20 second interludes that I enjoyed on the album, for example the end of Frantic, but obviously that isn't saying much. My favorite songs would be "The Unnamed Feeling" and "All Within My Hands," which are decent songs. Other songs have good riffs, such as "Purify" and "Some Kind of Monster," however, sadly, the lyrics, which once was one of their strong points, are utterly laughable. I will, on the other hand, give them credit for making the effort, having all of the bands members take part in the wiriting of the album, which helps the core of the band, not necessarilly the music, and they did dish out 75 minutes worth of new music, regardless of whether or not it is up to your standards. Not to mention the free bonus dvd. However, I still recommend that you buy this album, if not just to get your own password to long into the Metallica Vault (www.metallicavault.com) to check out some VINTAGE Metallica footage, pictures, etc.

10. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

I got it yesterday. It's got a few redeeming points, but overall it's a disappointment. I actually liked Load/Reload and applauded them for trying new directions, but St Anger feels really contrived and uninspired. Frantic and Unnamed Feeling are pretty cool tracks, but for the most part, the songs are too long, too repetitious, and too simplistic. I have no problem with simplicity, as there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but this just sounds like they were being lazy. These guys have way too much talent that is completely wasted here. James' vocals sound forced and the lyrics suck. Sounds like he's straining most of the time. Is he doing that deliberately or did he just forget how to sing?
    And then there's Kirk. As a guitarist, I've always respected him as being one of the best soloists in metal. He's consistently been one of my favorite guitarists over the years and a great inspiration to me. His solos were so unique and well constructed and really intensified the music. I never thought I'd see a Metallica album with no Kirkster solos (unless he left the band). Why is he even on this record!? What a total waste. Not to mention Trujillo, who I hope will have significant input in the writing process of the next album. He's a wicked bassist, but shit!...Trujillo wasn't even on the cd! It's very misleading that he's listed as the bass player in the liner notes and is pictured with the band. That's almost a Milli Vanilli move!

I hate to say this, but I wonder if Metallica should hang it up. Trujillo should start a new metal/funk project (i.e. Infectious Grooves) and Kirk should just go solo. I'm not sure if James and Lars should even continue at all. It just doesn't sound like their hearts are in it anymore.

Rating: 4/10
    Rating as a Metallica record: 2/10

11. FluffyDonkey

FluffyDonkey Ride The Spiral.

St anger is their first "heavy album in 14 years, it'll be a little off, im personally really excited that they are trying to make a return to form, i've only heard a couple of tracks, and it sounded really good.

you have to remember that they stopped making good music back in 89
    so the return to metal has been a long time coming.

i have already made space in the collection for it.

cant be too much worse than the other crap they released.

12. NecromancerAlpha

i like how people keep pointing out the leghth... the songs are long No wait guys the songs are VERY LONG....

"a large pile of crap. is still a pile of crap."
    -Necro

13. lurch70

lurch70 Active Member

14. edwardgein

Dude, I didn't meantion none of that, I could care less if metallica even did a polished out album. i just think that album sucks and they did NOT use their talent one bit on that album. Plain and simple.

15. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

OK, I had some pretty harsh thigs to say about this album a couple of days ago (see my review above), but it's actually starting to grow on me. No doubt that it's extremely sub-par as far as what the band is capable of technically, but it's a decent record. I'm still bitter about the total lack of solos and the weak lyrics/vox, but the album does have a definite aggressive vibe that gets the adrenaline pumping. This is an album that must be listened to LOUDLY! The dvd is pretty cool too. I love watching Trujillo play. He has some wacked out moves when he's into a jam. I wish he'd been on the recording.

16. Hyoukinmono

Hyoukinmono Real Man

>>this is the perhaps best-selling "extreme" metal-release ever, so what do you complain about?!?<<

Extreme? EXTREME?!?!?!
    The only thing extreme about it is the extreme hilarity and imbecility. Even for Metallica it's a bad album. I never expect anything really innovative or difficult or deep, but even I'm surprised that they could release something this bad.
    It's not even heavy. Just sloppy. (Even their early days weren't really that heavy, except compared to other pop-thrash bands.)
    Rating as a Metallica record: 5/10
    Rating as quality music of any genre: 0/100000000

17. SculptedCold

SculptedCold -scented manbeef-

I don't even think i'm going to buy this album.

I'm not sure why.

Honestly. :D

(really though, when there's Suffocation, Death, Sepsism and Krisiun catalogues to complete, can anyone blame meh?! [or anyone else?!] )

18. Nightmarez

Nightmarez Hero In A Dream

I can't. I'm not even gonna waste hard drive space on the album.

19. Erik

Erik New Metal Member

Yeah? Think YOU'RE the cool one do you? Well I can't even waste hard drive space on it!

(Around 40 Mbytes free)

20. Nightmarez

Nightmarez Hero In A Dream

Oh yeah? My hard drive is only 3.9 gigs.

...I think I win :)