This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Metal's popularity

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Manbient, Nov 20, 2008.

?

Is metal more popular now?

1. less popular

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. about the same

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. more popular

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ oh noes itz a opinionn

It depends on the era...

I started listening to metal in the early 90's, when it seemed to be at it's height in popularity. When I started going to high school in around '97-'98 metal was dying in a very big way. Less & less people were listening to it, to the point where it became uncool to listen to it. Also, a lot of bands from late the 80's/early 90's became very instrumental in setting the foundation of continued interest in the society.

On the other hand, if you just look at things over the last 3 years I think metal has got much more popular in the last 3 years, but it is still far from being mainstream. Because of this immediate slight "surge" in popularity I voted the 3rd option.

2. Blind Guardian

I started listening to Metallica in 93 or 94. I can't remember if it was popular or not then but i guess at least the big metal bands were also big in general. Metal is probably, if not more popular, at least wider. There's not many new bands who can sell out whole sports venues like Iron Maiden or Metallica could 15-20 years ago though.

3. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

It's more popular now than when I first started listening seriously to it back in 2004/2005, so I vote for the third option

4. just metal

just metal Member

Less.
    The posers are increasing thu.

5. Ultimate_Symphony

Ultimate_Symphony Rusted Angel

My experience living in the real world is that metal populairty is about the same. On the internet world is definitively more popular, though.

6. Alteredmindeath

Alteredmindeath Wasteland Survivor

more people, more fans, more music, more access, more popular in a metal way.

7. Cythraul

Cythraul Active Member

When I was first getting into extreme metal back in '95 or '96 it was damn near impossible for me to find a mainstream record store that had a metal section or even stocked a significant amount of extreme metal. That has changed in the past, say, 7-8 years. So it might be the case that metal in general had some explosion of popularity since I started listening to it, or at least a steady rise. I also meet a lot more people nowadays who like extreme metal and not just mainstream shit, but that might have to do with the fact that I'm in college. After all, not many 10 year olds get into Mayhem or Morbid Angel, and most of the people I meet who listen to extreme metal are college students or at least in that typical age range. I guess college is the time for a lot of people to experiment with new and exciting things: binge drinking, random sex with strangers, extreme metal, sandal wearing, hacky sack, Che Guevara shirts, etc.

8. SkiesAtOurFeet

SkiesAtOurFeet Wakan Tanka at Bifröst

I do not run into metal fans anywhere, only at shows (given). Even if i do, the 'fan/s' are your typical kid/s whom won't listen to the music in a year or two from now.

9. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

I like how the first three things are fucking metal, and the last three things are just people I want to kill. Although I can tolerate sandals; it's people who wear no shoes at all that piss me off. There are some hippies that walk around my campus barefoot. One day I saw one of them, a girl, riding her bike to class (with no shoes on, of course). The front wheel of her bike must not have been attached properly, because it came off, handlebars and all, and she just flew forward, slamming down on to the pavement. I would have asked her if she was alright, but I was laughing too hard. That's what you get for going around campus barefoot.

10. Mother North

Mother North New Metal Member

about the same...

thats why black metal ist kreig haha

11. Janga666

Janga666 Infamous Butcher

LOL stupid hippies.

12. mutantllama

mutantllama Awesome custom title

This made me lol. Espicially the last three.

13. waif

waif Member

Haven't really noticed. It's been about 4/5 years so probably no huge change. I don't really track record sales or read rolling stone and kerrang, and obviously reading metal magazines wouldn't give me a clue as to how popular metal is. Also, around here no matter how big your band is, metal bands play the palladium - Iron Maiden played the Aganis and there are some smaller bands that play bars, but almost everyone plays the palladium so there's no way to track trends in a band's popularity without finding numbers for their album sales and even that means little considering piracy...
    So basically I have no fucking way to answer. Also, considering that everyone on here has been listening for different lengths of time the poll will be pretty meaningless because "it's gotten more popular since I started 25 years ago" and "It's gotten less popular since I started last month" count for the same...

14. CAIRATH

CAIRATH Astral Disaster

Hey it's Mumblefood. Where the hell have you been?

15. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

I voted about the same. I was leaning towards more popular because of the floppy haired Tech Death/Metalcore/Emo kids or whateverthefuck.

16. ~Derek~

~Derek~ Member

It's popular in the mainstream forms but beyond that here, not really, seems there's few people here even into mainstream metal.

17. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

I saw some guy do that the other day, although I think the reason he flew forward was because he hit someone. All I saw was this guy fly forward and almost hit a parked car and some other guy looking mortified.

18. Manbient

Manbient Queer Old Man

Oh you know, around. My life had this sweet downward spiral going on for a long while, that was entertaining. Did i miss anything on um.com? :p

19. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

:lol: Hippies can't afford properly working bicycles.