This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mic Pre-Amps For Home Recording/Practice...

Discussion in 'Backline' started by JakeIMMENSION, Jul 14, 2009.

1. JakeIMMENSION

JakeIMMENSION New Metal Member

Basically, im wanting to order an M-Audio interface and a mic n few bits n bobs to record vocals at home with. Mainly for practicing myself and working out vocal patterns and the like. What im wanting to know is if its really necessary getting a seperate mic pre amp as well? I want it to sound as good as possible, but im just unsure what is necessary. The pre-amps id be looking at would be the ones around £100 on Thomann.

Thanks!

Jake

2. digitaldeath

digitaldeath Member

Just get a cheap interface and use the built-in pres if you can only budget £100. Your results will sound about as good as the money you invest.

3. Fragle

Fragle Member

yeah, the stock interface preamps will do the job.

edit: just noticed you were talking about 100Lwhatever just for the outboard pre.

you can get a studio projects vtb-1 for that kinda money, and imho it's really damn good for the money - kinda in the league of m-audio octane pre's i'd say. the DI in is also really good.

would it be a huge upgrade over stock interface pre's? well, depends on the interface of course, but i'm tempted to say NO.
    as i said, the stock one's will do the job.